track side partner..

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
ANGELS15

Naffman wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:54 am
ANGELS15 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:28 am
Black Ladder wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 am
"Consumers using exchanges or bookmakers are not prevented by the Gambling Act from using a mobile phone or internet connection to bet in-running from racecourses."
Source: Gambling Commission.
Thanks for that I've tried in vain to google the answer but could never get anything concrete only the exeriences of punters from 10 years ago. I haven't been to the races in over 20 years but have felt like going one day. If I did it might be to a course like Windsor, Kempton or Sandown. I would possibly do a manual back to lay trade on Betfair. I can only hope in these modern times that thoses courses will have good 4g signals.
This is what's confusing. There are professionals betting in running from booths on-course. Perhaps you're allowed to use the internet for betting if you do it from a hospitality booth?

I know someone who was at the track and was forced to stop betting in-running using their mobile otherwise if they were caught again then they'd be thrown out and never allowed back in :?

And those that do get away with it are that discreet you can barely notice they are doing it!

So how can racecourses stop people if the GC says otherwise?
ANGELS15

Sorry Naffman somehow my answer got stuck in the middle of your post!

what I was saying is that the experience of the guy you mentioned was what might be expected that the racecourses take a dim view of people betting on their phones. However the professionals who operate from hospitality booths are allowed to use their laptops?
greenmark

Naffman wrote:
ANGELS15 wrote:
Black Ladder wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 am
"Consumers using exchanges or bookmakers are not prevented by the Gambling Act from using a mobile phone or internet connection to bet in-running from racecourses."
Source: Gambling Commission.
Thanks for that I've tried in vain to google the answer but could never get anything concrete only the exeriences of punters from 10 years ago. I haven't been to the races in over 20 years but have felt like going one day. If I did it might be to a course like Windsor, Kempton or Sandown. I would possibly do a manual back to lay trade on Betfair. I can only hope in these modern times that thoses courses will have good 4g signals.
I know someone who was at the track and was forced to stop betting in-running using their mobile otherwise if they were caught again then they'd be thrown out and never allowed back in :?

And those that do get away with it are that discreet you can barely notice they are doing it!

Ascot T&C's
"Attendees may not use mobile telephones or any other communications device whilst on the Racecourse to communicate with anyone outside the Racecourse for the purpose of or in connection with any betting other than the placing of a bet via an online bookmaker."
Quite how they would be able to verify which you were doing, who knows!
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
The Gambling Commission doesn't stop people smoking in your house, but you might. :) I would guess racecourses feel free to impose their own rules.
CallumPerry

greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:31 pm
Naffman wrote:
ANGELS15 wrote:

Ascot T&C's
"Attendees may not use mobile telephones or any other communications device whilst on the Racecourse to communicate with anyone outside the Racecourse for the purpose of or in connection with any betting other than the placing of a bet via an online bookmaker."
Technically an exchange isn't a Bookmaker ;) little bit of a grey area.
greenmark

CallumPerry wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:04 pm
greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:31 pm
Naffman wrote:

Ascot T&C's
Technically an exchange isn't a Bookmaker ;) little bit of a grey area.
Really. Didn't know that. Sounds then like racecourses are supporting bookies and may be hostile to exchanges. Still begs the question how do they find out if someone is betting on an exchange or a bookmaker? It would be illegal for a racecourse to technologically monitor someone's mobile activity. So do they have people snooping around looking over people's shoulders? And what would be the cost/benefit of doing that anyway?
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:42 pm
Really. Didn't know that. Sounds then like racecourses are supporting bookies and may be hostile to exchanges.
I actually read that as supporting the exchanges need to try and keep inplay betting seen as 'clean'. You can use a bookie but we'd rather you didn't use an exchange seems to be the message. If trading outfits openly set themselves up around the course en mass then inplay would be a harder sell for BF to Joe Punter on his mobile in the pub. The prize for bookies and exchanges is off track betting which is scalable rather than on course betting which isn't I'd think.
ShaunWhite

Do many courses still sell boxes where trading is encouraged? Or has that died out?
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:10 pm
greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:42 pm
Really. Didn't know that. Sounds then like racecourses are supporting bookies and may be hostile to exchanges.
I actually read that as supporting the exchanges need to try and keep inplay betting seen as 'clean'. You can use a bookie but we'd rather you didn't use an exchange seems to be the message. If trading outfits openly set themselves up around the course en mass then inplay would be a harder sell for BF to Joe Punter on his mobile in the pub. The prize for bookies and exchanges is off track betting which is scalable rather than on course betting which isn't I'd think.
The more I learn, I realise how little I know. The phrase "scratched the surface" springs to mind.
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:23 pm
The more I learn, I realise how little I know. The phrase "scratched the surface" springs to mind.
That's why trading has kept my attention for so long when I'm a tick the box and move on person normally. There's always something else to know. And when you get through the surface there's another surface, like an onion.
Atho55

This might answer a few questions re the relationship between on course and bookies ....

http://www.thesprc.org/consultation/
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:03 pm
greenmark wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:23 pm
That's why trading has kept my attention for so long when I'm a tick the box and move on person normally. There's always something else to know. And when you get through the surface there's another surface, like an onion.
Wish it was like an onion, I could do several things with that. :)
Derek27

Atho55 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:58 pm
This might answer a few questions re the relationship between on course and bookies ....

http://www.thesprc.org/consultation/
I'm amazed industry SP still exists! It was never fit for purpose, so easily manipulated by bookies and mainly taken by mug punters.
eightbo

not sure this is quite the thread for it but pretty comical to imagine the operation given how much Millennials / Gen Y / Gen Z use their phones these days.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”