Help!

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Euthenia

I'm new to trading and I'm trying to find some useful step by step examples of trading on horses. I've found a couple of videos on youtube explaining the ladder screen on betangel but what I really need is something in slow motion which describes exactly what is going on. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks
mctash

Hi,

I'm also beginning to to trade. 1 month in. Remember to start with minimum stakes.

I watched all the videos I could 'lay' my hands on, but there is no video for experience. You have to get a feel for whats going on and you can't get that from a video.

In all honesty, some of the videos out there make it look very easy and in my experience it isn't. It takes alot of practice. I'm still on small stakes and am just about in profit on a days trading.

A couple of techniques to start with are the scalp and the swing. There are good videos describing these on youtube (BetAngel channel i think but correct if i'm wrong).

To repeat myself no video is going to prepare you for the inevitable market movement against you when you have an order matched. Dealing with this type of issue takes practice and a feeling for how the market is reacting to money entering it. Having said that BetAngel has a very useful feature called stop loss which can go along way to limit the damage caused by an adverse movement in price. I've just got into using it and i'm positive its saved me from enlarging some embarresing blunders :).

There are some excellent traders on this forum and I gained alot of tips by reading back through the beginners and horse racing sections.

Sometimes I think that learning to trade is like learning to play a musical instrument. People can tell you how to do it, you can read a book on it but nothing is going to help you more than practicing regularly (although usually with musical instruments you have a teacher and as luck would have it I think BetAngels affiliates offer a course or home tuition).

Anyways my two pence is spent

John
Euthenia

Thanks for the reply. Ive watched the videos over and over again. I get the concept of scalping the market however just when I think its clicked and that lightbulb comes on my head, someone pulls the power and I'm back to square one. Maybe I just havnt watched the video enough yet.

Thanks

Jon
mctash

I know the feeling. Are you using the one click screen or the ladder?

I started on the one click but quickly moved to the ladder. I find it more informative to my eye. I will also set force open to reverse. I look for price movement then will either back or lay (depending on price movement direction) at the current price (the cell with no money in it) and have offseting by one fire the counter bet in for me. If its a strong movement I find my counter bet is quickly eaten up (the opening bet gets instantly matched as your at the front of the queue where there is money waiting to match it). Its probably about 70-80% effective as long as you deploy it where appropriate. This again brings me back to experience. Knowing when to enter and exit the market is probably the major part of the game.

John

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”