Best live feed for horse racing? exc. at the races

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
dan_payne182

Due to the apartment i'm in i am unable to get sky at all. Is there any live feed or radio that covers all the racing of the day? Just something to have on in the background as at the moment its too quiet :P
mctash

Both RacingUK and At the Races offer a stream for a monthly fee. I find my racing uk one to be almost live (i have At the Races on Sky) but my friend from abroad (Sweden) found that his RacingUK webstream was approx 10 seconds behind mine and his At the Races stream about 40 seconds. Obviously no good for inplay betting. This may have been an licensing issue because I doubt its a technical one. It doesn't take 40 seconds to send electronic information to Sweden.

J
andyfuller

BF offer live video (http://livevideo.betfair.com/) for ATR tracks about 2mtp as long as you have staked £2 or more.

William Hill (http://news.williamhill.com/radio-fs/) do an online radio channel for racing as do Betfair (http://radio.betfair.com/) sure others do as well.

If all you want is commentry and chat they should be fine but don't go betting inrunning using them as they are delayed.
dan_payne182

The betfair timeform radio seems almost live. Will this count as requests in terms of the data charge though? I'm not sure what they class as data.
andyfuller

Pretty sure it doesn't but you are best to check with Betfair.
yellowking

The Betfair timeform radio is about 10 seconds behind Betfair in play odds.

I am in Thailand but can use a UK Proxy so have asked RacingUK what their delay is in International Streaming.

Based on their answer i'll either go properly on International package or will use my Proxy and sign up for the UK service.
JollyGreen

dan_payne182 wrote:Due to the apartment i'm in i am unable to get sky at all. Is there any live feed or radio that covers all the racing of the day? Just something to have on in the background as at the moment its too quiet :P
Hi Dan

I assume this is because Satellite dishes aren't allowed on the building?

If you want Sky and don't mind a bit of kerfuffle then you can use an internal dish. Once you have set it up then it is a case of just removing it when you're finished and then putting it back up when you want to use it again. You need to window that faces South or South East.

If you can get Virgin media then their pictures are usually much slow slower than Sky.
Alpha322

JollyGreen wrote:
dan_payne182 wrote:Due to the apartment i'm in i am unable to get sky at all. Is there any live feed or radio that covers all the racing of the day? Just something to have on in the background as at the moment its too quiet :P
If you can get Virgin media then their pictures are usually much slow slower than Sky.
Hi JG are you sure, i found SKY to be much slower than Virgin, when i played alot of in running i done it via Virgin, i tested this when i first got into trading (When i found pre race trade difficult). I did a test on both and got stuffed on SKY for nearly £250.00. The fact that i was always profiting via Virgin pictures told me that the edge on in play running i was using was the better pictures.Maybe am quite close to a fibre Optic base of theirs as my orders fill fast aswell via their broadband
JollyGreen

Hi Alpha

I cannot comment on your specific situation but let me explain about distribution of TV pictures.

I sometimes get friends call me either via skype or phone when the racing is on. We may be discussing a particular horse or market. Two of the regular callers use Virgin for their TV feeds. One of them in in the same town as me and the other is in Manchester. I can hear their TV in the background and they are always behind my pictures. I also have a friend who lives near Manchester and he too gets slower pictures along with another who lives in Surrey. I mention these because they are all trying to make a living from trading the horses and sport.

Basically, Sky are the host broadcaster so when a 3rd party like Virgin take their pictures they are received by Virgin and then distributed across their own fibre optic network. This causes a delay because there is another point in the feed line. If you consider that they also add their own encryption and compression then another delay is added.

That would mean in theory it is impossible for the feed from Virgin to be quicker than Sky. I hasten to add in theory because I am not suggesting for one minute that you are incorrect in what you saw. I add this because ATR is not technically owned by Sky so perhaps in your area the feed from SiS is going out quicker on the cable network. If that is true then I would say you are lucky and you may find a lot of traders knocking on your door wanting to book a trading seat :D

I have to add though that you are the first person who has ever mentioned virgin pictures being faster than sky.
Thedragons

New to the forum, see this is an old post. I am in Australia and trying to find live horseracing stream for uk horses - anyone have option?

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”