BSP on UK races. Getting a fair start?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Anbell

Howdy. I'm new to UK racing, but I think I remember that there are some races/race types where stalls arent used, and the horses are just out in a field, and the race can start with a horse facing the wrong way or whatever.

Is this true? (was it ever?)

Does Betfair bet SP on these races?

I imagine it would be silly to use Take SP in this event. Is there a way to avoid these races?

Or am I imagining a problem that doesnt exist for some reason?
Derek27

Anbell wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am
Howdy. I'm new to UK racing, but I think I remember that there are some races/race types where stalls arent used, and the horses are just out in a field, and the race can start with a horse facing the wrong way or whatever.

Is this true? (was it ever?)

Does Betfair bet SP on these races?

I imagine it would be silly to use Take SP in this event. Is there a way to avoid these races?

Or am I imagining a problem that doesnt exist for some reason?
In Britain and Ireland, there are no stalls for National Hunt races (jumping) and a few long-distance flat races, usually over two miles plus.

I thought the main issue with BSP for Aussie racing is that Betfair is often slow to put a race in-play because of a slow feed. I'm not sure if the same problem exists or is as bad over here but for jump races a fast start is less crucial.
Anbell

Yeah - the AUS races definitely have their issues with the slow feed.

So it's ok to just assume that BSP is going to be ok in UK, even without stalls? Or is there a list of races/race types that should be black-listed from a bsp perspective?
ShaunWhite

Anbell wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am
They shouldn't really start facing the wrong way and if the start is particularly untidy then the starter will call them back. Over 2miles+ it hardly makes a difference, it's a 5minute race not a sprint and even human middle distance runners don't exactly rush to get out first. There's the usual panic with the prices of course if someone starts well or badly, so from a trading perspective that's a good thing.

BSP can be treated roughly the same, ie BSP is never right on an individual runner but right enough over a large enough sample.
Anbell

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:27 pm
BSP can be treated roughly the same, ie BSP is never right on an individual runner but right enough over a large enough sample.
Yeah, I was just worried about adverse selection like we get here in Aus. Thanks

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”