Green up in betangel automation

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
NickH

Currently writing down my first strategy on a piece of paper and struggling a bit with understanding the automation possibilities with one part of my strategy. Unfortunately I could not really find the answer to this question already.

Random example:
If I would be laying A (whether it is a horse, greyhound, e-sports team, etc. is not relevant) at a price of 5 before the event starting, I am obviously expecting the price to rise during the event. If however I would like to ensure that my losses are hedged once the price would go down to 4 for instance, I would use the green-up option in the in-play automation with the rule 'green-up if back side reaches value of 4'.

Now lets say that I am using 1000eu stakes (this does not represent me, but the amount is relevant for the question :D ) in a relatively small market. Would selecting the green-up option guarantee me that my total losses would be hedged when my rule is met, or would it just place the corresponding hedging bet at 4.0 and hope it gets matched as a total?

If this last is the case, does bet angel have the option to lower the ticks automatically to get me the maximum hedge? (and yes I do know this will bring additional issues if there is a small market)
Dallas

It would be placed at 4 and only take what was avaliable, you'll then have to wait for the rest to be matched.

The best method in this situation is to use your 'net' stake and place the bet several ticks below the actual best reverse price, then trigger a green up bet after that which will require a much smaller stake
NickH

Thanks Dallas, this helps me a lot for the defining of the required rules in my strategy!
NickH

Assuming the market is big enough to close the bet at a slightly lower price (running the opposing bets through 4.0, 3.9, etc.), this would result in:

‘If odds reach 4.0, back selection at odds 3.5 (example) for net stake’. Followed by a second rule stating ‘green up’.

In that way you could have some sort of insurance regarding available money on the market. If it would be enough it would match all at 4.0, however if not fully taken it would move to 3.9, etc. untill fully matched and then green up right?
Dallas

NickH wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 pm
Assuming the market is big enough to close the bet at a slightly lower price (running the opposing bets through 4.0, 3.9, etc.), this would result in:

‘If odds reach 4.0, back selection at odds 3.5 (example) for net stake’. Followed by a second rule stating ‘green up’.

In that way you could have some sort of insurance regarding available money on the market. If it would be enough it would match all at 4.0, however if not fully taken it would move to 3.9, etc. untill fully matched and then green up right?
Yes, it would take whats at 4.0, then move down to 3.95, then 3.90 and so on until it was either all filled or got to 3.5
You'd then trigger your green up to match at the best price
NickH

Thanks for the feedback. Really enjoying the cracking of this puzzle by just writing down what I think my rules should be. Lets call it a positive from the fact that my laptop broke down a few days ago haha.

Will be investing in the betangel software when having bought a new laptop, but for now first focussing on defining some automation strategies that I think would be profitable. Nevertheless still the least tricky part, with getting it working in bet angel as a second learning step :D

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”