When to Hedge

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
bbran19

Could I ask if it is better to hedge/greenup after you profit on a single bet or is it best to hedge after ALL bets are placed.?
jamesg46

bbran19 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:22 am
Could I ask if it is better to hedge/greenup after you profit on a single bet or is it best to hedge after ALL bets are placed.?
If you have unmatched bets in the market like a trade waiting to be taken on another runner but you've just completed a trade on the fav then dont hedge because it will cancel unmatched bets too.

Generally though if I have no other trades lined up I find myself hedging as soon as I complete a trade, im always trying to hedge at the lowest price possible. You can get slippage on hedging, all be it small amounts but its my amount.
jamesg46

To add to that, you can hedge just the selection you're working on without cancelling other bets in the market. That's done by using the traded profit column instead of the hedge tab at the top centre.
bbran19

Thank you for taking the time to answer. That is great advice.
jamesg46

You've sent me down a rabbit hole with my morning coffee and this question.

I have no idea why or even if my thoughts are relevant but I can't help but ponder on how people behave when it comes to change.

There are 3 types of people when it comes to change (change as in from a pint of milk or whatever.)

1: Put the change in the box.
2: The person who always takes their change, regardless.
3: The person who takes their change only to chuck it on the ground when they leave the shop.

I guess I'm trying to fit hedging or people hedging into one of them 3 types of person.

I'd like to think im number 2 but I can't help but think where number 3 sits within the markets, either way, its been nice to ponder over this with my morning coffee :D
Anbell

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 am

I have no idea why or even if my thoughts are relevant but I can't help but ponder on how people behave when it comes to change.

There are 3 types of people when it comes to change (change as in from a pint of milk or whatever.)

3: The person who takes their change only to chuck it on the ground when they leave the shop.

I guess I'm trying to fit hedging or people hedging into one of them 3 types of person.

I'd like to think im number 2 but I can't help but think where number 3 sits within the markets, either way, its been nice to ponder over this with my morning coffee :D
I like to recommend reverse greening most of the time, especially if you have some time before the off. It's like option 4: Taking the change that others have left behind. At a minimum load up a reverse greening column and you can see the difference in your P&L
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21159&sid=4d576ae3 ... cebdbfd8c2
jamesg46

Anbell wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:58 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 am

I like to recommend reverse greening most of the time, especially if you have some time before the off. It's like option 4: Taking the change that others have left behind. At a minimum load up a reverse greening column and you can see the difference in your P&L
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21159&sid=4d576ae3 ... cebdbfd8c2
4. The person that keeps their change and picks up the change others threw away on their way home (reverse greening.)

4 types of people :D
Anbell

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 am
4. The person that keeps their change and picks up the change others threw away on their way home (reverse greening.)

Exactly. But in a good way :D

Joking aside, I reckon half the people on here could go from neg to pos with this simple idea.

And aren't we all about keeping our own and picking others' pockets? Why else are we here?

Depending on your plan/strategy/habits, the difference between greening and reverse greening is often literally 100% or more.
jamesg46

Anbell wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:24 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 am

Exactly. But in a good way :D

Joking aside, I reckon half the people on here could go from neg to pos with this simple idea.

And aren't we all about keeping our own and picking others' pockets? Why else are we here?

Depending on your plan/strategy/habits, the difference between greening and reverse greening is often literally 100% or more.
I believe we may have touched Kaizen territory with hedging & im going to be making a conscious effort today and therefore probably everyday to reverse green.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”