Bottom of ladders

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
cyclops1000

A question I've been meaning to ask for some time but haven't got round to it
I see on the ladders that there are decent sized amounts against the low prices 1.10 down to 1.01
How are such large amounts being placed at such low prices ?
I thought that the bet defaulted to the current price ?
Anbell

cyclops1000 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:33 am
A question I've been meaning to ask for some time but haven't got round to it
I see on the ladders that there are decent sized amounts against the low prices 1.10 down to 1.01
How are such large amounts being placed at such low prices ?
I thought that the bet defaulted to the current price ?
They arent matched. It's $ available to back. It's mostly people hoping for a fat finger.

And while it looks like a lot of money, there's only $1000 exposure for every $100k at 1.01.
ShaunWhite

Anbell wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:56 am
It's mostly people hoping for a fat finger.
A lot of it is lay at SP money to cover back positions, maybe in case of an outage, premature start glitch or just as the strategy. It would need the mother of all fat fingers to get through it.
Anbell

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:15 am
Anbell wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:56 am
It's mostly people hoping for a fat finger.
A lot of it is lay at SP money to cover back positions, maybe in case of an outage, premature start glitch or just as the strategy. It would need the mother of all fat fingers to get through it.
Interesting

Thanks
cyclops1000

Excuse a newbie question - what's "a fat finger" ?
Anbell

cyclops1000 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:05 am
If someone makes a keyboard mistake and accidentally has $5000 instead of $500 etc.
ANGELS15

cyclops1000 wrote:
This kind of thing has happened to me. I use mobile versions of Betfair and Bedaq to place additional trades when I'm out and about, it's so easy to click the wrong stake button. In one case I had £100 on a horse when I wanted £10! This happens with the mobile apps as the buttons are so close together on a small screen. Another example with this is if instead of say backing something for £50 you clicked the lay button by mistake and end up laying something at a decent price for £50.
jimibt

ANGELS15 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:27 pm
cyclops1000 wrote:
This kind of thing has happened to me. I use mobile versions of Betfair and Bedaq to place additional trades when I'm out and about, it's so easy to click the wrong stake button. In one case I had £100 on a horse when I wanted £10! This happens with the mobile apps as the buttons are so close together on a small screen. Another example with this is if instead of say backing something for £50 you clicked the lay button by mistake and end up laying something at a decent price for £50.
jeez -your habits sound well dodgy - lol. but yeah, it's so easy (if manually placing bets) to double click a digit, or simply a lag in input can force you to press it twice.

Hail automation!! ;)
ANGELS15

jimibt wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:54 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:27 pm
cyclops1000 wrote:
jeez -your habits sound well dodgy - lol. but yeah, it's so easy (if manually placing bets) to double click a digit, or simply a lag in input can force you to press it twice.

Hail automation!! ;)
Not quite sure what you mean by dodgy? But to give you an example I was out and about watching racing in the days before I knew about trading. Basically I would study the markets and wait for what I felt were good opportunities. Anyhow I spotted a horse which I thought was good value at odds of around 8. I had £114 in my Betdaq account I clicked to back for £10. Near the off I looked at my phone and was surprised to see I only had a balance of £14! I had backed for £100!.

I don't think in those days Betdaq had a 'cashout' button but in any case the race was now off and the gap between back and lay was far too big. The horse was running really well and I was starting to feel quite confident as it pulled well clear (I think this was at Sedgfield). My horse was approaching the second last jump with still a good lead but now another horse was chasing him down.

There is a long gap between the last 2 hurdles at Sedgfield and my horse was being rapidly reeled in by the chasing horse which now jumped the last in the lead. Suddenly the jockey slipped sideways and looked for a split second like he was going to fall off. My jockey tried to galvanise my horse but the other jockey had clung to the neck of his horse managed to get back into the saddle and held on to win.

God knows what the odds had been on my horse throughout the race but I did not have the mindset at the time to think about placing some in-running lay bets would have been a decent profit.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”