Data Usage Charge

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
keano1

Hi,
Can anyone explain why yesterday i got an email from Betfair letting me know i had incurred Data usage charges on the 26th of this month of 9.6GBP ? I am very much a novice trader just practising using £2 stakes and as i'm so busy at the moment i'm actually getting very little time to trade at all ! On the date in question i traded half a dozen evening races at £2 stakes for a profit of 26p. I've not changed any settings ( but have upgraded to the latest version recently) and have been using BetAngel since about Feb without any such emails from Betfair. Betfair say they have 'NOT debited your account today - we want you to avoid being charged in the future). Not sure if this means they will charge me the 9.6 GBP at some point or not.
Anyway, anyone who can shed some light on why i've been charged would be greatly appreciated.
LeTiss

Did you have BetAngel open in 2 seperate windows?

This is what appears to catch people out
chris_ri

Also sometimes (in my experience) although I have shut betangel down, I have found it still existed in my windows process list even though all windows were closed. Since I was hit by an unexpected data usage charge of £31 (which betfair refunded) I check the process list each time I close Betangel.

Cheers,

Chris
keano1

Thanks chaps - think you might have sussed it for me. Had been using BetAngel on the laptop when i had to break off to attend to some work stuff. My youngest then started using it and simply changed user, leaving my programme running. Only noticed the following evening ! I take it this would have caused the charges ?
Thanks for your help
andyfuller

Just a quick question - I seem to remember that the Data Charge counted against the Premium Charge, for example

over the week you incur £100 of Premium Charge and £20 Data Charge.

Does the £20 get knocked off the Premium Charge so you pay just £80 or does it get added so you pay £120?

I seemed to remember it as it getting knocked off the Premium Charge when the first annouced the Premium Charge as I can remember arguing that the PC would just encourage incurring data charges but they said that was going to change?

Anyone know, as I might just start running two version of Bet Angel a few days a week to ditch the PC.
PeterLe

Hi chris_ri...
Could you tell me please how you check the process list??..is it Ctrl/Alt/delete ?
Thanks
Peter
MalcolmSm1th

Yes, the control-alt-delete chord will do it. But, it's quicker to right click on an empty part of the Task Bar.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

"Does the £20 get knocked off the Premium Charge so you pay just £80"

Yes
andyfuller

Thanks for the reply Bet Angel - surely it therefore makes sense to run up a Data Usage charge to offset the Premium Charge.

Problem of course would be the fact that there is no way of checking what you currently owe until they bill you but I guess with some playing around you could over time figure out how long you need to run 2 copies for to be charged x amount.

Also you don't know how much your Premium Charge will be exactly but this can be calculated fairly acurrately.

Surely there is a gapping whole in this idea or else everyone would already be doing it!?
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

The latter!

But that said Betfair can still take action if it thinks you are abusing the system so it's not recommended.
Brent

andyfuller wrote:Thanks for the reply Bet Angel - surely it therefore makes sense to run up a Data Usage charge to offset the Premium Charge.

Problem of course would be the fact that there is no way of checking what you currently owe until they bill you but I guess with some playing around you could over time figure out how long you need to run 2 copies for to be charged x amount.

Also you don't know how much your Premium Charge will be exactly but this can be calculated fairly acurrately.

Surely there is a gapping whole in this idea or else everyone would already be doing it!?
Forgive me if I am slow here, but what?
You wouldn't be reducing any charges surely. All you would be doing is paying the same amount, over 2 different charges?
The premium charge takes into account how much you have paid to them in other charges and commission. If you save 500 PC because you had to pay 500 data charges, then you haven't saved yourself any money. You can't simply say that you will run up another 500 bucks data charges so you don't have to pay the PC at all.
All you will do, is instead of paying 1000 for the PC, you will be paying 1000 for the data charges. Either way, you will be paying 1000.

No?
What?
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I think Andy was looking at incurring charges for the first time based on the fact that it costs net nothing. I.e. those charges are now offset against the PC?

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”