Broadband Back up ?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
PeterLe

Hi
I am currently running a number of betangel instances (I use VMware on my mac)..and I'm finding that the broadband is starting to slow down quite a bit under the strain...So I am thinking of adding a second broadband to equal it out...

I think I that I might go for a mobile broadband, that way if ever I lose the home phone line I still can manage any positions I have open...

Does anyone use Mobile Broadband?? is it reliable? I notice that they have different useages per/month, 2-10Gb and then unlimited (£18/month Vodafone)

Would welcome any comments/advise
Thank you
Peter
jimrobo

I have a broadband as a backup. It costs me £15 a month. Depends what you trade on but for horse racing it is far to slow IMO. I know peter did a post on his blog where he made £300 on a monday afternoon using it but thats peter!

Its definately worth getting as a backup but I wouldn't expect any sort of decent speed with it.
drifter

I think some companies do pay as you go broadband now.

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/pay-a ... dband.html

You could get one of these as a back up just in case your landline goes down.
JollyGreen

PeterLe wrote:Hi
I am currently running a number of betangel instances (I use VMware on my mac)..and I'm finding that the broadband is starting to slow down quite a bit under the strain...So I am thinking of adding a second broadband to equal it out...

I think I that I might go for a mobile broadband, that way if ever I lose the home phone line I still can manage any positions I have open...

Does anyone use Mobile Broadband?? is it reliable? I notice that they have different useages per/month, 2-10Gb and then unlimited (£18/month Vodafone)

Would welcome any comments/advise
Thank you
Peter
I use Vodafone mobile broadband and it is pretty good. You would need to check who provides the best coverage in your area. I am in an area where Vodafone dominates but recently we lost coverage when a mast was taken down. There was an ongoing dispute about planning permission and the local protest group won :?

I only recommend this as a backup though, Bet Angel can use a lot of data so you could find yourself exceeding your allowance pretty quickly.

I have traded from Spain, Ireland and even from a train...I was using small stakes and knew I was in a good 3G area on the train, I was just trying to kill the boredom.
TheRiddler

You can trade using a 3g mobile broadband package but this all depends on your trading style. If your mid to long term swing trading you should be okay but if your scalping looking for one tick here or there then do not even think about it.
I have 3 as my broadband back-up with a 3gb allowance which as a back-up is more than sufficient per month so long as your not refreshing constantly. If you wish to switch on fast refresh then go for unlimited.
Also if your only trading using mobile broadband why not buy a cheap netbook and stick another mobile broadband dongle in that, just incase your first broadband drops out mid trade. Because if you don't, it more than likely will.
Remember protecting your balance is more important than a day of successful trading.
Just my thoughts.
PeterLe

Thanks for all the replies
Having read all the comments, I think that I will leave it...
I tend to do all my trading from home..and have two broadbands (BT (Work) and SKY(Private))..on more than one system, so I have some redundancy there...

Also, over the last month so I have changed my trading style, I now trade entirely in running, so the worst case senario is less than £50 if I were to lose connectivity entirely..

Thanks for all the comments..
Regards
Peter

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”