Appears simple but is devilishly difficult.

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
scottydog

Maybe this will help but for £1 per tick I use this instead. It makes the green ticks when hedged more closer to each other. So i feel im trading almost the same odds on every selection with similar risk. A few just altered slightly

1.01 to 1.99 £100
2.00 to 2.98 £50
3.00 to 3.95 £25
4.00 to 5.9 £17.50
6.00 to 9.8 £10
10 and above £5 depend how high up on the odds you take
Lammtarra

Thanks Scottydog,

Haven't traded at all since my last post because of work.

Thought I'd have a go at what Dallas said now I've got an hour or so free.

Thanks for you info, I might just do that instead? I'll post something up in the next few days.
Lammtarra

Given up on the tick size.

I found that even though it sounded better and more logical to set a tick size and deal in ticks rather than money, in reality I found it almost impossible to record or monitor my results.

So for instance, it's alright if I use 1 stake on 1 selection, that's simple but what happens if I get out of my first trade and go in to a second selection?
What happens if I'm on a profitable trade and increase my stake as I sometimes do?

What I wanted was to be able to look back on the trade and see that I made 5 ticks or lost 5 ticks but in reality I just got in a mess with it.

I also figured that whether it's pounds, pence, ticks or shirt buttons, it will end the same way if I won't accept losses, so that is what I need to work on most of all.

I have missed a bit of trading last week because of work but reverted back to set stakes on Saturday and did fine and again yesterday, did well so at the moment, at least until the year end, I'll stick to set stakes.

My bank is now £157.19.
Lammtarra

It's all over.............

For the time being at least.

Chased losses and lost, no point going into it and no point wasting your time reading it or my time typing it.

I just thought I'd make a point of coming on here rather than vanishing so you don't have to assume that that twat blew his bank (again) you can here it from me directly, yeah I did because I don't make enough of an effort and fool myself into believing I'm on the road to riches.

I've calmed down a bit now from earlier and when I'm ready next year, I'll be back.

My world doesn't end just because I can't control myself but I must have the shortest memory known to man because I have literally been here what feels like HUNDREDS of times....I just do not learn.

Have a good break everyone, thanks for your help and assistance (pity I don't learn from it but that's my loss)

I'll be back on here when I'm ready. See ya.
andyfuller

Remember, trading isn't for everyone.

Maybe put the time and effort into other areas as I said previously on this thread, be it your business or something else.

Good luck going forward.
to75ne

Lammtarra wrote:

My world doesn't end just because I can't control myself but I must have the shortest memory known to man because I have literally been here what feels like HUNDREDS of times....I just do not learn.
try not to be harsh with yourself.

its not that you have a short memory or cant control yourself, its all about how your brain is wired and a life times worth of beliefs that are ingrained in your sub concious and are reinforced by everyone you are related to and know, and the world at large.

you dont have a fault in the way you think, its just your way of thinking is not best suited to trading and thats all it is (my opinion)

take a long time of off, and the best of luck
Dallas

Good luck from me too and sorry it has nt worked out for you this time but who knows with a few months off and plenty of time to get on with other more important things in your life you may one day be in a position to return and see things from a different perspective.

In the mean time have a good and relaxed Xmas and New Year with your family and friends

All the Best
macawboy

Good luck mate in what ever you decide to do.
I have read your posts with interest and you really tell it how it is with no bull shite thrown in.
Not easy this trading game as i am finding out, if you do decide to come back keep us posted .
LeTiss

Don't despair Lammtarra, go and give your missus a good seeing to - that will cheer you up......and hopefully her too ;)
convoysur-2

sorry it didnt work out for u,
This guy is great i think is help for every trader,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM_fx-J ... a0CV5_QHW-
Kai

Sorry to hear that Lammtarra, I know how easy it is to get fed up with everything when things are not going your way. Maybe I was too harsh at times but learning how to trade nowadays is extremely hard, despite some excellent teachers and information out there it's nowhere near as "easy" as it was many years ago.

I imagine this thread will still be useful to a lot of newbies because it contains a lot of good advice. Good luck with everything and don't it let it get you down too much.
marko236

Sorry to hear it didn't work out this time Lammtarra, i think i said in this thread that i nearly gave this up twice both times due to the same mistakes you have made, from what i see you only lost a few hundred quid in the time you have been trading which is good there will be people that have blown a fortune.

It's been an interesting thread hope it continues next year :)
scottydog

I hope it works out for you. Been reading this thread quite a lot and you clearly have a lot of dedication to trading and a drive to succeed. If you come back to it, I wish you the best.
You have the skills, you have the knowledge. Tell yourself that everyday.
Positive thinking. When you hit a loss tell yourself. ITS OK because I cannot win every trade, keep that running through your mind. Its ok to lose. It ok to be wrong.
If you want to trade that badly and you want the success you have to make sacrifices. Its not your trading its the way you think. Something in your life has to change for it to fix your trading. I don't know what that is but I believe that is how its going to fix your trading. If you want it that bad. Get it. Look at yourself, be honest to yourself.

A few years back my personal life was similar to the way of your thinking.
I don't drink alcohol. I don't have drink problem and I never have. I don't drink because I am on a long term plan. I dont have time in my life to have liabilities. Drinking is a liability. I have drunk a drop in 2 years in january. I have an extremely busy life, drink is a liability to me. I have a number of no nos in my life but that is just until I have reached my goal.

Now I am not suggesting for you to stop drinking. I am suggesting if you want this trading to work. be honest to yourself and change your liabilities more importantly remove them and parts of your mind that are weak. Trading to some will be very easy and to others its very hard.
Its hard for you. If it hasn't worked before why do you expect it to work in the future? Something has to change. Find out what that is. Study that problem as long as you have trading. If there is one small problem with your trading. Spend every spare minute studying, asking, thinking, reading. What ever it takes.

Dont let anyone tell you you cant do anything either. They are not you. You can do and be whatever you want to be. But for some its easier then it is for others.

I really wish you the best of luck.
Study, learn, learn, keep learning, learn about yourself. never give up and become an expert in every aspect you want to achieve in.
Lammtarra

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to thank you all for your (as usual) words of support and advice.

You really are a good bunch and that is partly what pissed me off the most, my failure to deliver because I know many of you would be pleased, almost proud that I made it. That day will have to wait unfortunately.....

I thought Letiss's advice was good and attempted it only to be told in no uncertain terms, F*** OFF, what I expected really but you don't get unless you ask :lol:

Scottydog, I like that way of thinking and the "progress" I had made was along those lines because I accepted loads of red screens, they're not a disaster, they're not even a problem, just keep cool and relax etc etc etc

This method works well until that 1 millisecond when I freeze (no idea why if I know not to let losses get out of control?) in an instant, I'm in a tailspin and then game over...

For my sins, I NEVER give up on anything and I have a plan for next year, this thread will carry on after I've had a bit of a break.

Anyway, thanks again and have a good one.......
LeTiss

All the best to ya, have a good christmas!

The one final thing I'd say to you, is your downfall is shared by many.

I know 3 people who have failed at this game, even though they have impressive degrees and have a good career. I was just a normal bloke who completed my 'A' levels, and then thought I can't be fucked with education anymore, so got a job. It happened to be with Ladbrokes though, so that was a great grounding for trading. However, I left after 5 years and ended up working in Sales, before redundancy gave me the time and financial pay off to try this full-time instead of evenings and weekends.

The 3 guys who failed all look at me with consternation and jealousy - they can't believe I've done this for a living for over 7 years. The thing I've learned Lammtarra is that reading markets, studying graphs and trawling through statistics only amounts to a small part of this job! I have huge interest in the psychology of trading, because IMO that determines who will succeed at this game. The line between trading and gambling is thin and my 3 mates cannot separate the two, especially Andy who's a hopeless case, despite having a nice job with HSBC

The game's not necessarily over for you, but you need to re-wire your brain in order to succeed and I suggest reading some of the psychology related books that are often related to on here before returning.

Good luck and good health

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”