Chill Out Area : Anyone read any good books?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
ShaunWhite

Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 pm

PeterLe wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:21 am
- At his peak he was making upto £900K/Day!!
That's a decent amount, even Jim Simons only manages iro $3.5m a day :) I've just finished "The man who solved the markets" and although it covered pretty much the same years as Dark Pools it had a slightly different take on that period and was reasonably entertaining. What is unsettling though is how much all these multi billionaires are involved in politics. Simons' co-ceo Robert Mercer essentially bankrolled Trump and is said to be the money behind Brexit too. Meanwhile Simons has been giving millions to the Democrats. You can see why that because an unsustainable boardroom duo!

The other takeaway from Jim Simon's firm Renaissance (apart from 30yrs of 66% returns which has made him more money than old man Buffett) is that the 300 employees each have at least $50m of their own money in the fund. Sounds like the wages are decent!

PeterLe

Tue May 19, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi Shaun
Think we could rough it on £900K a day!
I read the Jim Simonds one too. What stuck me about him was that he had the same feelings as we do when running an automated program.
Ie at times when there were losses, he began to wonder if he should just 'tweak' it a little etc.
Id imagine this was even worse for him when he knew he was looking after hundreds of millions of pounds of other peoples money :D
Regards
Peter

ShaunWhite

Tue May 19, 2020 7:31 pm

PeterLe wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:13 pm
Ie at times when there were losses, he began to wonder if he should just 'tweak' it a little etc.
I've spent ages looking into this topic and it really does seem to be something that relies on experience and 'feel', even in this rarified world of hardcore mathematicians.

Return to “Chill Out Area”

• Information