BBC Pay

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm
and why anyone needs to be watching TV at breakfast time is beyond me too.
That's a hugely outdated viewpoint.

The internet, and cable TV has given us 24/7 access to whatever we want - if you're suggesting that some of those salaries are justified, but the BBC shouldn't open broadcasting until 9am, then you're talking crap
spreadbetting

oliver123 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 pm
Know what, why oh why do we keep seeing the same TV/radio presenters fronting all those different shows? I mean, for instance, Chris Evans (as we now know as being the highest at £2.2 million) hosts his morning radio programme and then he's on the first season of the new Top Gear? I could go on. Claire Balding presents this sport, that sport, why? There has to be a deeper reason.

Call me barmy but are all those people plus the top BBC execs Freemasons? It's just a thought. But there has to be a reason - any suggestions?
It's simply because they'll be obliged to present a certain number of shows/hours as part of their BBC contract. I doubt the BBC has as many contracted stars as you think and you'd be even more up in arms if they were sitting idle picking up a fat cheque.
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
you're talking crap
Or expressing an opinion which was slightly more relevant than yours about Linekers personal beliefs.

Jeez, you didn't take long to get ants in your pants because someone doesn't think exactly like you do. Ffs lighten up, can't people have an intellegent debate without you wading in with your trolling?
jimibt

not defending the pay scales or otherwise but just want to add a dimension to exactly what the job of presenting entails (I know this having worked for ITV, Sony and Disney).

A typical weekend show will start with an office session on monday morning to work thro news items relevant to the programme remit. Various ideas will be floated that are in context to the show format (don't under estimate how hard it is to maintain a format, whilst keeping it fresh). Phone calls will be made to external parties to ascertain availability of short notice *guests*, longer term fixtures will be confirmed and finer details ironed out.

A script will then be loosely orchestrated to blend together all the components that make up that weeks show. Sub rehearsals will be undertaken for scripted parts of the show. Inevitably, there will be guest cancellations close to the live broadcast, these will all have to be worked around and sections rescripted... bla bla

Etc, etc. Behind all of this, your normally smartly dressed front man is involved across the 100's of live threads that are running to make up this show. In my experience, 100% of the front guys are in the office pretty much 6-8 hours each day. Of course, all we see is the final 1 hour segment that is broadcast.

Are they worth those huge salaries -on face value maybe not, but they certainly (as some imagine), don't just turn up on the saturday night and busk the entire show..
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:32 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
you're talking crap
Or expressing an opinion which was slightly more relevant than yours about Linekers personal beliefs.

Jeez, you didn't take long to get ants in your pants because someone doesn't think exactly like you do. Ffs lighten up, can't people have an intellegent debate without you wading in with your trolling?
Go fuck yourself ;)
Dinkydid1

:)
Frogmella wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:59 pm
I don't think it should ever be possible to become a millionaire working in any public service position.

The BBC doesn't need to scrap for ratings, it should be promoting new ,hungry, cheap talent.

Better yet, get rid of the licence fee altogether, then the BBC can EARN its money and pay just whatever it likes in wages.
Now don't get me wrong I not into politics but think of this
Tony Blair since leaving politics as made a cool £100 million
BetScalper

Dinkydid1 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:01 pm
:)
Frogmella wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:59 pm
I don't think it should ever be possible to become a millionaire working in any public service position.

The BBC doesn't need to scrap for ratings, it should be promoting new ,hungry, cheap talent.

Better yet, get rid of the licence fee altogether, then the BBC can EARN its money and pay just whatever it likes in wages.
Now don't get me wrong I not into politics but think of this
Tony Blair since leaving politics as made a cool £100 million
He should be eating porridge oats at HMP Belmarsh.
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:36 pm
Go fuck yourself ;)
:) If you're lucky enough to have one that'll reach, I can thoroughly recommend it.
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:36 pm
Go fuck yourself ;)
:) If you're lucky enough to have one that'll reach, I can thoroughly recommend it.
:lol:
Euler

I once did a feature on multi media computers for blue peter. I should have worked my way up the ranks!
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:46 pm
I once did a feature on multi media computers for blue peter. I should have worked my way up the ranks!
I wouldn't worry about it mate, Jeremy Vine is looking at you and thinking he should have taken up trading
Euler

I met him at Cheltenham last year, should have invited him onto the forum :lol:
ruthlessimon

Although it's pretty questionable; these presenters must be generating huge incomes for the BBC; or it simply wouldn't be economically viable to pay them these kind of wages.

It's also why a good trader will earn more than a good nurse. The economic benefit a good trader provides to the punters, beats the economic benefit a nurse provides to a patient. Whether it should be like that is up for debate, but that's how the economy works
BetScalper

Everyone should earn the same regardless of profession.

I'll get my coat. :)
vankancisco

The BBC is fantastic value for money, it's also a British institution that holds sway and sets standards on a global level. I'm not quite sure what the news story is with regarding what employees are paid, apart from the gender pay gap which is an issue generally in society - not specifically the BBC. Some really good talent is also acquired by the BBC on a long term basis at under the market rate - which is another reason why it is such good value.

Return to “Chill Out Area”