Gazuty - The movie

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
gazuty

This post is in response to the exchange just below.

What follows is open and authentic. I strive to be humble and do not intend this to be self-indulgent. I by no means claim to be a great trader, the sole font of knowledge - I am not writing this post as a boast etc (in fact writing this helps me know who I am and is helpful in a reflective sense for me as to where I came from - give me the boy until he is seven ...). I will talk about my intelligence and mention a few uni results because that is part of who I am (again not an intended boast) - there are smarter and more successful people on these forums and in life more generally for sure.

I am flawed, we all are.

If you want to know what makes me tick read on.

///
Wildly wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:31 am
gazuty wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:09 am

Wow. I’m not watching or listening because the mrs has control of the audio and tv at the moment - but I’ve built enough of a position in the Caulfield cup to make Saturday night fun night :D (I hope).
Intrigued by you Gazuty.
You make a 4 figure sum on the Caulfield Cup.
Make more than that most weeks, maybe most days with your bots.
You work a full time job.
You have one TV and if the Mrs says so, you don't get to watch the Caulfield Cup, even online or listen to the radio.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt any of it and know other blokes with what could be described as similar peculiarities.
Just tell us more about what makes you tick. I want the movie rights.

///

What makes me tick.

I am restless

From the first moments I can remember I was agitated, had an itch, was tapping my foot, doing somersaults and generally on the move. I was curious and asked heaps of questions. That probably annoyed some people. My parents and my maternal grandparents really loved me and were invested in me, perhaps more so than what I see for some others. Having people who believed in me was very important.

When I was born I was very ill and required experimental surgery to survive. I was very small (and am not a large adult even today).

At school

I was extroverted in class from a young age and fully engaged with each lesson and topic. I loved school and reading. I spent my evenings reading novels and books about science until well into the evening.

I moved cities at 13 and went from being super popular at school to being the "over smart" newcomer. This probably has a bit to do with what drove me forward. Soon enough every time I answered a question in maths class the kid behind me (all boys catholic school) would punch me in the back of the head. Standing in assembly one day a kid kicks me in the groin (standing behind me - bullies are not brave) dropping me to the ground. I was a small kid, generally the smallest or second smallest in my year, so an easy target. School wasn't some kind of sob story for me, I'm not seeking pity, but being regularly punched, roughed up or branded with a hot ruler just drove me forward. In my last two years of school I don't remember any physical violence, that seemed to drop away from 16.

I finished third in my year at my school (this could be a bit of theme as we shall see), in the top 1% of the state and I went on to university.

At University

When I got to university I final felt "at home". University was a great environment for me, meeting people, engaging in discussion, studying and exams. I loved exams. Exams were my version of the sporting field, standing outside the exam room just before an exam I could feel the adrenaline coursing through my arteries and veins. Loved it. I was the sort of person who finished a three hour max exam in an hour an a half and left without going over their work (which meant there were a few silly mistakes that prevented me from getting 100% - so I'd get something like 97%). For all my maths subjects at Uni (ended up majoring in applied maths) I never got a result below 90%.

For me, maths was built in to my brain from birth. When a teacher wrote an equation on the board, my brain said "of course" and absorbed it. I have a big memory - not like those people who memorise a deck of cards, but a person who can recall dates, events, conversations, passages from novels or who appeared in that movie and just about every maths problem they ever studied.

In addition to maths, I also studied law, graduated with first class honours and finished third in my year (hmmm, third again).

Work

Did very well in my main job, but it wasn't enough (the money is more than enough, not a question of money - I have walk away money and can go whenever I want).

I've always wanted to break completely free. Always fascinated by those who achieve full independence (not just money, but also independence of thought). I'm not quite there yet, still tethered to what people think of me.

Found betfair and bet angel

Found betfair and bet angel. Found an edge very quickly, never added any money behind my initial A$200 deposit and then have continued to expand outwards ever since.

Love it as a hobby. Once guardian automation came along, it took betfair from something I was able to do for a bit of fun on weekends to something that became a 24/7 operation for me. A bit like going to an exam, I just love to produce that all green screen.

Used my main edge to engage in lots of experimentation (most of which has been unsuccessful - but kept it modest for the most part and learned heaps).

The search for recognition

Like lots of people, I just want to belong. I want to be recognised for achieving something. As the great founder of this service noted, you can't get recognition. People don't understand what I do here and won't give it.

But in my personality I recognise that I want people to like me (this is a flaw in some circumstances - lot's of people don't give a sh*t about what other people think about them). It took a long time for me to recognise I didn't always need to be the "smartest person in the room", professionally or privately (but it's hard because that is inside me and a lot of the time I am just trying to be helpful - like answering most of the questions at a trivia night, some see that as showing off - I just want our table to win).

Books

Love reading books. Fiction and non-fiction. Will make a few more posts to "read a good book".

I'm always wanting to improve my mind. To understand the human condition, to learn.

///

Hope that gives you the readers something of who I am.
Last edited by gazuty on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lutruwita

Great to read Gazuty. All power to you!

Where in Australia do you reside? I am in Tasmania.
Wildly

Many thanks Gazuty. Overwhelmed by your response in sharing your story.
I'm sure you will continue to expand in knowledge and results and I hope to continue to learn from your generosity and that of many others in this wonderful community.
wearthefoxhat

The question remains;

Who will play the lead role? I sense....Robert Redford (The Sting..All The Presidents Men)....
jimibt

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:57 am
The question remains;

Who will play the lead role? I sense....Robert Redford (The Sting..All The Presidents Men)....
i see more simon bird (the inbetweeners) :D
ruthlessimon

Fascinating read Gaz :)

That's my exact mentality.

1. Treating trading as an exam - with a huge emphasis on understanding how to improve my revision techniques. Always probing (possibly to the point of annoyance :D ) those who are better than me with queries

2. Using an edge to fund further R&D, fed back into step 1
gazuty

What makes me tick - more inspiration.

https://vimeo.com/141748572
Kai

Brilliant story, thanks for sharing Gazuty.

Return to “Chill Out Area”