Any runners/rowers out there?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
andyfuller

I was wondering if any runners had some advice on cross training for long distance runs?

I am building up to my first marathon (Brussels) and am currently up to 11 mile training runs. I have a couple of half marathons lined up before the marathon (Nottingham and London - Run To The Beat) but although I enjoy running the constant pounding on the roads isn't going to do my joints etc much good long term and also I have an iffy toenail after losing it a few years back on a half marathon.

I already do off road mountain biking but I was thinking about purchasing an indoor rowing machine to add a third element to my training and also to add a bit more to my upper body workout that I currently do.

The advantages I perceive of using an indoor rower is that it is a relatively quick workout compared to biking and running, it gives a good full body workout and is very low impact (assuming you get the technique right and don't knacker your back).

I have been doing my research and it seems the best rower are the Concept 2 rowers:

http://concept2.co.uk/

At around £1,000 they are a bit pricey but I would sooner pay extra for something of quality and I am struggling to see a bad review of them anywhere. I like the fact you can race against other rowers online and can row against pace boats etc via your tv/pc.

So do any other runners use rowing as part of their training? Or do any rowers have any views/advice or perhaps own a Concept 2 rower?

I read they are good for recovering from running injuries so wondered if Peter used them?

I would be grateful of any info and if anyone else is doing any runs in the next year pop up a post and if we are doing the same runs it would be good to have a chat about trading as we run around for part of the way.
walshy

If you decide on a rower then the concept 2 is the one to go for. I've owned one in the past and they are excellent, they also hold their value really well.

If you dont want to buy though, I think concept 2 also used to rent them.

All in all it provides a really good aerobic workout that I would imagine would only help in your training.
andyfuller

Cheers for the reply.

Concept 2 still do rent them and you can do hire to buy as well so I might do that to make sure I like it before buying one, they are based just down the road from me so might pop to their warehouse.

I have had a look around and they definitely hold their value brilliantly.

Can I ask why you think they are excellent compared to other rowers?

Cheers.
walshy

Compared to the others I have tried the concept 2 had a much better feel, you can really put some effort in to them without ever feeling as though your going to do it any damage, although I should add that the others I have tried were considerably cheaper.

Also I think that the concept 2 is the rower of choice in most if not all gyms.
Topseed

You should buy a second hand rower on ebayer for about £750. You will find alot of people who buy a rower and then don't use it. I bought my rower on ebay and it had only been used for 50,000 metres. I started rowing and could only manage 5 minutes and have now rowed a marathon in 2 hrs 55 mins.
andyfuller

Cheers for the reply Topseed - I would sooner pay a couple of hundred more and get a brand new one tbh.

Do you use a Concept 2 rower, if so whats your views on it and if not what do you use and your views please.

Whats your view on it as a workout in particular with regards to helping running?

Many thanks.
lilgreenback

Hi,

If you were going to buy one then the Concept 2 is the one to get, the only consideration might be noise if your house is detached no worries but I'd put it on the ground floor anyway.

There is a national gym championship held each year for them and Steve Redgrave used to put his name to it at one time. There is a newer version of it now with a moulded abs plastic handle rather than wood.

The mechanics and action are very similar to the real thing apart from sinking :D a guy I know uses his for x training together with a turbo trainer on his mountain bike he's a triathlete. He prefers the rower to a cross trainer as it gives a better work out.

The other issue is that if it needs reparing every town has a gym and they tend use them; so spares or technicians would be easy to come by. I have never known one break though apart from the footstraps work lose

Get yourself a Polar heart rate monitor as well; one with the kit for bike and you can download the training info onto the computer. They are excellent to prevent overtraining and injury.

Cheers

LilGB
andyfuller

Thanks for the info - noise won't be a problem as it will be out in a barn, at least til I buy a house. I had read that the noise wasn't too bad and you could watch TV without having the volume silly loud.

I saw about the championship and that they hold regular online races and run leagues etc etc. That is something I am keen on as it will motivate me more to use it.

Good to hear your mate uses one for cross training, I am keen to add something extra to my exercise mix on top of the running and mountain biking, so good to hear he as a triathlon uses one.

I have a heart rate monitor from my running watch - a Garmin Forerunner 305. Brilliant bit of kit and used with freeware Sportstrack software it is great for tracking everything.

Thanks for the reply again.
Topseed

I cannot help you on the benefits of using a rower to train for a running marathon as I have had shin splints from playing cricket and just row.

It's was interesting when I was training for my rowing marathon that if you take your 2000m time you will be able to calculate how quickly you can row a marathon.

I use my rower every day and at the moment I'm just rowing 10000m a day. The concept rower's are awesome and go on for ever. The only issue I have is poorly maintained rowers when I use fitness first or rowers in hotels. I oil my rower on a weekly basis and you can tell the difference between a well maintained rower and a poor one in a couple of strokes.

I also connect my rower to RowPro via my laptop and its great fun rowing against other people around the world and helps to keep the motivation going.
andyfuller

Topseed wrote:I also connect my rower to RowPro via my laptop and its great fun rowing against other people around the world and helps to keep the motivation going.
If I end up buying one we will have to have a race at some point ;)
sweetybt

Hi Andy,

Yes concept 2 is the machine to use and the only one all rowing clubs have. I think you are in the Notts area, I used to row on the Trent from the back of the city ground, and have spent many an hour on a C2 while being shouted at, I also ran the Notts half marathon a few years back.

Rowing is a great indoor low impact option when the weather is bad or the old joints start to complain.

I might do the Brussels half in October as well as I live down the road in Luxembourg.

sorry I don't post more often here as I barely get the time to read half the posts let alone reply.

I am going on parental leave in July so hopefully will have more time, although I very much doubt it.

cheers

sweets
mikesalter

I agree that the C2 is the best having used one at the gym but was put off by the cost for home use. I bought a tunturi air rower for considerably less. Not saying it is as good but it works just fine. The data isnt as good either. I struggle with non air rowers because I tend to be worried about breaking them because can rip into it if in a bit of a mood (I can row 347 metres in a 1 min burn on a C2) and am more than happy with mine.
andyfuller

sweetybt wrote:I think you are in the Notts area, I used to row on the Trent from the back of the city ground, and have spent many an hour on a C2 while being shouted at, I also ran the Notts half marathon a few years back.
Hi mate, you are right, I do live near Nottingham but I prefer the otherside of the Trent to the City side ;)
sweetybt wrote:Rowing is a great indoor low impact option when the weather is bad or the old joints start to complain.
I have decided to go ahead and buy one and wish I had it today as it is chucking it down outside, so as a fair weather runner/biker I won't be able to venture out today :(
sweetybt wrote:I might do the Brussels half in October as well as I live down the road in Luxembourg.
If you end up doing it let me know. I haven't entered yet but plan to soon once I figure out whether to fly or get the Eurotunnel.
andyfuller

mikesalter wrote:I agree that the C2 is the best having used one at the gym but was put off by the cost for home use. I bought a tunturi air rower for considerably less. Not saying it is as good but it works just fine. The data isnt as good either.
Cheers for the input, I only just heard of the Tunturi make last night when over at my sister house who is married to a Fin. I was telling him about my plan to buy a rower and he said about the Finnish company Tunturi - so I am going to look into their rowers today.
andyfuller

Cheers for all the input - I got my new Concept 2 rower this morning and set it up. It is bigger than I was expecting but thats no issue. It seems very sturdy and I am sure will last me a lifetime.

Going to spend sometime trying to get my technique right before I do any serious workouts on it, but in the future I am up for giving some fellow traders a race online :D

Once again thanks for all the input :!:

Return to “Chill Out Area”