Anyone got a shed in their garden?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

Hi all, I'd be interested to know, is it really necessary to anchor down a wood/timber shed in a well-sheltered garden (about one foot from the house and wood-panelled garden fence)?

Is a concrete/slab base essential or does anyone have a stable shed on the lawn or compressed soil?
Jukebox

Derek27 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:28 pm
Hi all, I'd be interested to know, is it really necessary to anchor down a wood/timber shed in a well-sheltered garden (about one foot from the house and wood-panelled garden fence)?
For a typical garden shed - a lawn mower, some deck chairs, a deflated paddling pool, barbeque charcoal, flower pots, half used bags of compost, half empty cans of paint and a bicycle with stabilizers and a puncture should keep it weighed down securely enough - if in doubt, add some camping equipment and a no longer used exercise bike or similar.
Derek27

Problem with Google search is that you find advice to make sure your shed's locked down safely and then realise it's taken you to a US site, where you get hurricanes.
LinusP

You want some sort of base as it will prevent rot, paving slabs are common.
Atho55

Concrete fence posts layed horizontally on the ground make excellent bearers for a shed. Placed at right angles to the shed floor bearers they can take a massive load as its spread about. Always handy to distribute pea gravel underneath too to deter burrowing rodents.

Like this....

Fence Post.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterLe

Well I can believe we are taking about Sheds!, but check out this earlier post

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6472&hilit=shed&start=50

Originally there was an old tree that took me a week to dig out by hand. Put a base layer of 6" of concrete, a course of brick with a camp proof course on top of the brick then built the frame and used angle brackets to secure to concrete
:D
nikolong

I always think it's a good idea to over engineer the foundations. Dig out the topsoil and shove loads of rubble in there.
ShaunWhite

You need to get it off the ground a bit so you can get some air under it. If you don't fancy a whole slab you can make some piles to stand it on (6 or 8) if you can get a spade in deep enough (12-18"?). And if you can't get down very far then you might get away with a paving slab at each corner if you're close to the house foundations where the ground is nice and firm. That'll be plenty for std shed contents. If he starts to sag a bit over the years then you can always put a jack under it to lift a corner and level it up on some timber or slates.

If it blows away you'll have bigger problems than the shed, you probably won't have a house roof. :D
Derek27

Cheers guys, I'll go for slabs and dry concrete sub base. The only pent shed I can find with slope, door and window in the right place has installation included in the price, so I only need to worry about the base.
Tuco

I've a small 6' x 4' shed at the back of my garden - it's knackered and needs replacing.

Was thinking about having a much larger summer house/shed which I may well do once we start trading again and the profits start coming.

The current shed is on a solid concrete base approx 8" in height. I think there was previously a tree underneath the shed base - don't know what the previous owner did with the tree but I do see some roots around the lawn which is a pain.

Ideally I would did the whole lawn up, take up the concrete base and start from scratch, but that's going to be expensive.

As has been said, putting down rubble underneath the base of the shed is a very good idea rather than just having the base laid on the soli/earth.

Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”