Moving to EU/Spain, anybody want to come with?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
eightbo

Brexit's Withdrawal Agreement allows for a UK citizen to move to 1 EU country by the end of 2020 so I'm taking advantage of that.
Right now Spain is my preferred option and I've marked Alicante and Almeria as potential destinations (If anyone has alternate suggestions do let me know).

I've lived in Czechia with another trader since the start of this yr and found that it accelerated both our progress and in my opinion, it was an optimal trading environment that I'm eager to replicate if possible.

Based on Spanish legislation 12-month tenancies are recommended (more tenant rights) so as of right now that's my plan but if it turns out shorter tenancies are workable too then I'd be open to shorter too. As long as we're moved in by year's end.

I'd be open to the same proposal in the following locations pending further discussion/research:
Portugal, France, Malta, Croatia, Netherlands

I'll be going either way but if anyone fancies the idea of something a bit different then get in contact over the next few months and we can begin a discussion and get a feel for how well we'd get along as well as what we might be able to learn from each other.

Cheers,
Kai

I told yall Eightboo didn't quit the game :D

I missed your posts but it's good to see you taking on these types of adventures, it's a win/win no matter what, and a ridiculously good idea imho.

Although I don't think Croatia is a viable option from your list, it's been semi restricted (DNS based restriction from all ISPs) for the past year and may get worse in the near future, it's already much worse for the rest of the Balkan area, so anyone actively trading from these areas has to do it from the shadows or go to great lengths to make it fully clean like I always try to do. With Malta you get the exact same Mediterranean climate, only slightly more expensive but zero legislation issues since it's a gambling hub so it's a far better option, and as you probably know English is their official language too which is massive.

But Portugal seems the obvious choice if you want my opinion, unsure about current legislation but it's relatively cheap with a fantastic climate, the girls are insanely hot on average and Portugal does seem to have the biggest trading scene with mostly people around your age. If you get in with the right crowd then sky is the limit for sure, people talk about Rebelo alone but he has his own army around him and people with different expertise, all the other groups are all interconnected in some way too.

If I was a little bit younger I might be down for such adventures for sure, but I'm actually looking to do the opposite and potentially move to one of the UK countries or perhaps Ireland where my best friend moved already, although I'm biased towards England since my brother is based up north in Newcastle and ideally I'd like to be in driving distance of Anfield, but this Covid thing made me delay and rethink everything.

But just a word of advice, if you're hoping that people contact you about these private matters then you should enable PMs on your forum profile, because it looks like you've disabled it so nobody can PM you for whatever reason. I was going to PM with this instead and send along some proper video material that you may find interesting as a parting gift for good luck, with some racing and Portuguese stuff along with some of my own clips, so feel free to hit me up if you want, you'd be one of the very few people I wouldn't mind sharing some of the stuff with.

Either way, I'm sure you're going to have a blast so wish you the very best of luck 👍
Kafkaesque

It may not be 100% transferable to Betfair access, but it could be worthwhile to drop by a poker forum and ask around.

I suspect you'll find quite a few more people there, who's taken the plunge and moved abroad, with strong internet connection and loose gambling restrictions being of prime importance for them as well. They'll not be potential partners in crime, but you may find good input as to countries and even areas of countries that's well suited to what you're looking for, and even needing.
Euler

What about Malta? Betfair is still legal there and plenty of access to loads of places.
Dallas

Euler wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:01 pm
What about Malta? Betfair is still legal there and plenty of access to loads of places.
And they drive on the correct side of the road ;)
Trader Pat

Brilliant idea!

Hope it works out for you 8-)
Derek27

Not sure if I'd want to move to another country but if I could find a place with a cheap rent and fast internet connection it would make a nice getaway. I heard you can rent/buy a place in Romania for next to nothing, but apparently Romania's the catch!
Euler

Dallas wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:16 pm
Euler wrote:
And they accept pounds.
Kai

Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:31 pm
It may not be 100% transferable to Betfair access, but it could be worthwhile to drop by a poker forum and ask around.

I suspect you'll find quite a few more people there, who's taken the plunge and moved abroad, with strong internet connection and loose gambling restrictions being of prime importance for them as well.
Poker players seem to be in a similar boat, they have services like pokerrefugees.com that helps poker players and bettors relocate to wherever, apparently hundreds of Americans used them to seamlessly move to places like UK, Malta, Mexico, Costa Rica and such.

But it sounds like he's looking for another sports trader so that they can push and spur each other on, which is not something he can do with a poker player.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:50 pm
Dallas wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:16 pm
Euler wrote:
And they accept pounds.
14 things to do in Malta

https://bucketlistjourney.net/malta-buc ... ngs-to-do/

Government advice...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-malta
arbitrage16

Interesting. Spain is my country of choice also. Only concern would be about proof of earnings - if you let on that you're a trader, does this then become open to tax?
eightbo

Kai wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:13 pm
I told yall Eightboo didn't quit the game :D

I missed your posts but it's good to see you taking on these types of adventures, it's a win/win no matter what, and a ridiculously good idea imho.

Although I don't think Croatia is a viable option from your list, it's been semi restricted (DNS based restriction from all ISPs) for the past year and may get worse in the near future, it's already much worse for the rest of the Balkan area, so anyone actively trading from these areas has to do it from the shadows or go to great lengths to make it fully clean like I always try to do. With Malta you get the exact same Mediterranean climate, only slightly more expensive but zero legislation issues since it's a gambling hub so it's a far better option, and as you probably know English is their official language too which is massive.

But Portugal seems the obvious choice if you want my opinion, unsure about current legislation but it's relatively cheap with a fantastic climate, the girls are insanely hot on average and Portugal does seem to have the biggest trading scene with mostly people around your age. If you get in with the right crowd then sky is the limit for sure, people talk about Rebelo alone but he has his own army around him and people with different expertise, all the other groups are all interconnected in some way too.

If I was a little bit younger I might be down for such adventures for sure, but I'm actually looking to do the opposite and potentially move to one of the UK countries or perhaps Ireland where my best friend moved already, although I'm biased towards England since my brother is based up north in Newcastle and ideally I'd like to be in driving distance of Anfield, but this Covid thing made me delay and rethink everything.

But just a word of advice, if you're hoping that people contact you about these private matters then you should enable PMs on your forum profile, because it looks like you've disabled it so nobody can PM you for whatever reason. I was going to PM with this instead and send along some proper video material that you may find interesting as a parting gift for good luck, with some racing and Portuguese stuff along with some of my own clips, so feel free to hit me up if you want, you'd be one of the very few people I wouldn't mind sharing some of the stuff with.

Either way, I'm sure you're going to have a blast so wish you the very best of luck 👍
Hi Kai hope you are well. Yeah I'm still actively trading just turtled up a bit for heightened focus. IIRC you did that for a stretch also.
Thank you for info re: Croatia — I'll cross it off the list.
Portugal seems high potential. Initially imagined learning Spanish over Portugese due to ~2.5x more speakers of the former but access to Portugese traders seems like a big pro, I heard Portugese is equally easy to pick up anyway.
Not sure what's happening with PMs. My settings look fine. I've just sent you a PM, check it out & test a reply if you will. 

  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺  ⸺
Kai wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:55 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:31 pm

I suspect you'll find quite a few more people there, who's taken the plunge and moved abroad, with strong internet connection and loose gambling restrictions being of prime importance for them as well.
Poker players seem to be in a similar boat, they have services like pokerrefugees.com that helps poker players and bettors relocate to wherever, apparently hundreds of Americans used them to seamlessly move to places like UK, Malta, Mexico, Costa Rica and such.

But it sounds like he's looking for another sports trader so that they can push and spur each other on, which is not something he can do with a poker player.
Would prefer to live solo & establish online comms w/ traders if unable to find a suitable Sports/Financial trader to move in with.
Thought pokerrefugees site was pretty cool. I clocked this post which touches on how they've relocated sports bettors too. One for the bookmarks, cheers.

Euler wrote:
Certainly a strong case to be made. Had initially chosen Spain as have more options to move around within borders once there & keen to pick up a useful 2nd language with immersion being an obvious help in that regard. Just discovered learning Italian appears to be an option in Malta with around two-thirds of the population speaking it so that's another box checked for Malta.

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:49 pm
Brilliant idea!

Hope it works out for you 8-)
Thanks Pat. The start of a new chapter for sure. Been a while; hope all is good with you & your trading.

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:07 pm
Not sure if I'd want to move to another country but if I could find a place with a cheap rent and fast internet connection it would make a nice getaway. I heard you can rent/buy a place in Romania for next to nothing, but apparently Romania's the catch!
Potential here. If I go solo i'd like to be able to have family/friends over occasionally if they want a mini-holiday or whatever meaning I'd probs rent a 2bed anyway. We could split rent 75/25 meaning you could bump your Romania budget up 4x — could be enough for a simple 2-3bed in Portugal/Spain/Malta if you fancy it.

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 pm
14 things to do in Malta
https://bucketlistjourney.net/malta-buc ... ings-to-do

Government advice...
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-malta
Thanks for links; will factor in.

arbitrage16 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:09 pm
Interesting. Spain is my country of choice also. Only concern would be about proof of earnings - if you let on that you're a trader, does this then become open to tax?
I've got a contact in Spain who's trading full-time. Figured I'd enquire and follow their precedent with regards to what to do/declare upon confirming I want to go there.
So far I've only read this resource on taxes which you may find of use in the mean time.
Last edited by eightbo on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eightbo

No suiters found yet.

New shortlist:
Portugal Spain Malta

Flight from CZ→UK got cancelled so in limbo here at the moment.
Small chance UK gets blacklisted from entering other EU countries due to high covid-19 count so still trying to figure out what I'm doing for the next few months and whether I want to risk coming back at all now. Moving timeline up could be an option. Alternatively might airbnb it in EU for a few months before relocating to shortlist destination by end of 2020.

Edit: PMs should be working now, feel free to send one. Email/Discord also available on request.
Last edited by eightbo on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LeTiss

No
Kai

eightbo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Hi Kai hope you are well. Yeah I'm still actively trading just turtled up a bit for heightened focus. IIRC you did that for a stretch also.
Yep, I went AWOL from social media in general for about 2-3 years, turtled up as you say, didn't read this forum either, then slowly started coming back everywhere last year or so.

If you've got a decent social life outside, you're really not missing out on anything, internets is just a filler anyway and always there if one needs it, it's just something to do inbetween markets and stuff. But you have to be the multitasking type to make it work, if it takes away too much focus should absolutely ditch it imho, like anything else.
eightbo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Not sure what's happening with PMs. My settings look fine. I've just sent you a PM, check it out & test a reply if you will.
Got your test PM but replying didn't work. Saw your edit so should be fine, so will be in touch later.

Return to “Chill Out Area”