Anyone growing tomatoes? (The Gardening thread)

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
mcgoo

My pumpkins have gone mental. No actual pumpkins yet but blimey growing leaves like crazy. Bloody possums attacking radish leaves. Cat has failed in her usual duty. Think she is getting on..she used to kill and eatem :shock:
Peas looking ok too
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:16 am
No chance of a tomato & cucumber sandwich then, but if I'm lucky I could be making a pizza with my own tomatoes and chillies by the end of the summer. :D
"Cucumba" has featured heavily in Macka B's healthy eating vids :D
https://youtu.be/SdL0CsZLieo
https://youtu.be/GEl8xWJ-CF0?t=32 (choon ! )
Screenshot_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well ShaunWhite, very educational. Almost as good as the cheeseburger one, it's that man's favorite vegetable.
TraderFred

To be honest, Derek27, it doesn’t sound like you are ready for real tomato plants yet. I think perhaps you should just get some plastic ones and stay in practise mode until you feel confident enough to keep a real tomato plant alive.

There is a lot to learn, though there are a lot of good mentors out there, and lots of good advice online.

Be wary of people on forums like me though. Whilst I might talk a good game, the truth is that im only really just getting started myself, yet here I am dishing out advice like I’m Monty Don.

At the moment I am lucky as I get to keep and enjoy all of my cucumber. Though once you get really good, you have to chop 40 % of your cucumber off and send it back to the company where you got your seed !
Derek27

TraderFred wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:51 am
To be honest, Derek27, it doesn’t sound like you are ready for real tomato plants yet. I think perhaps you should just get some plastic ones and stay in practise mode until you feel confident enough to keep a real tomato plant alive.

There is a lot to learn, though there are a lot of good mentors out there, and lots of good advice online.

Be wary of people on forums like me though. Whilst I might talk a good game, the truth is that im only really just getting started myself, yet here I am dishing out advice like I’m Monty Don.

At the moment I am lucky as I get to keep and enjoy all of my cucumber. Though once you get really good, you have to chop 40 % of your cucumber off and send it back to the company where you got your seed !
:lol:
jamesg46

This year is my first attempt in the garden growing, so far my Cabbage & Peas are doing great, my Tomatoes, Cucumbers & Chilli are just starting to show some leaves.

My Lettuce & Onions are non existent, they must be growing downwards... one thing I wish I had done differently which is now a plan to this year for next year is to build some raised beds, It would of helped so much with organising and keeping on top of weeding.

I also never got round to putting any Potatoes into the ground. I watched a tonne of Growers on YouTube & they all pretty much give off a similar message, the first year you will make plenty of mistakes but as we all know, it's how we learn from those mistakes.

I'm not expecting anything great to come out of this year other than then lessons my daughter & I have taken from it, tbh even my son & Mrs have taken a slight interest, although shes still shows her teeth at me when I tell her my plans for a greenhouse & an apple tree.

Back to Tomatoes anyway, check out this guys yield.

https://youtu.be/PzP6eq2_3XE
jamesg46

Kai wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:42 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:56 pm
My tomato plants all died, shortly after the cucumber plants died. So I sowed a few more seeds and now have these six little babies.

[Bugger, file too large]

Nevermind, they're just seedlings four leaves each. My question is, is it too late in the year to plant out tomato seedlings or do you think between them they might achieve a tomato before the autumn sets in?
I could always put you in touch with my neighbour if you need some advice on growing 😆
I had no idea why I kept checking on this thread today. Now I do :D
We gotta have a bit of self indulgent humour every now & again 😁
TraderFred

Apparently lettuce won’t germinate if it is too hot. If you have been sowing it recently in this heat that may be why it isn’t showing. I always start it off in trays indoors then plant out.

If you sow your lettuce first thing in the morning, or late at night, then you may have more success. If it gets too hot within the first two hours of being sown, it won’t germinate.

Onions are hard from seed, you have to start quite early indoors. Though spring onions are easy, and you could still plant them now for a crop, or get some onion sets.

Who says people never share their edges on an open forum !
jamesg46

TraderFred wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:13 am
Apparently lettuce won’t germinate if it is too hot. If you have been sowing it recently in this heat that may be why it isn’t showing. I always start it off in trays indoors then plant out.

If you sow your lettuce first thing in the morning, or late at night, then you may have more success. If it gets too hot within the first two hours of being sown, it won’t germinate.

Onions are hard from seed, you have to start quite early indoors. Though spring onions are easy, and you could still plant them now for a crop, or get some onion sets.

Who says people never share their edges on an open forum !
Thanks TraderFred, it's actually a very good thread that Derek started, I think from my judgement of the comments that a few of us are starting to grow for the first time this year so these sort of tips along with future advice will be valuable 😁
Kai

This thread wouldn't look out of place on a horticulture forum :D

It does make sense to get into it I guess, with the fields of Betfair being a bit barren in recent months with not much to farm there at all. But I like raiding my grandparents garden on occasion since they have plenty of leftovers and they keep stuffing my pockets with veggies every time I see them :mrgreen:
Dallas

jamesg46 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:07 am
Kai wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 pm

I could always put you in touch with my neighbour if you need some advice on growing 😆
When you see a thread about 'Growing Tomatoes' getting 20 posts in a day you know its time to bring back sports!
Or who knows what we'll be talking about in a few more weeks :lol:
Kai

Dallas wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:18 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Kai wrote:

When you see a thread about 'Growing Tomatoes' getting 20 posts in a day you know its time to bring back sports!
Very true, who knows what the forum could turn into if this keeps going on, with there being so many things to grow like James suggested :)

Hopefully you won't have to hear people dispensing growing advice like "don't get high on your own supply" :mrgreen:

That might be rule #1 for certain expert growers but not sure whether that advice fully transfers over to Derek's tomatoes.
jamesg46

Kai wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:31 pm
Dallas wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Very true, who knows what the forum could turn into if this keeps going on, with there being so many things to grow like James suggested :)

Hopefully you won't have to hear people dispensing growing advice like "don't get high on your own supply" :mrgreen:

That might be rule #1 for certain expert growers but not sure whether that advice fully transfers over to Derek's tomatoes.
Dont get high on Derek's supply 😆
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Or it shows we don't need sports back because we're all doing just fine living The Good Life?
I think many of us of a certain age have always harboured dreams of Barbara handling our vegetables.
TomAndBarbara.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:17 pm
Dallas wrote:
Or it shows we don't need sports back because we're all doing just fine living The Good Life?
I think many of us of a certain age have always harboured dreams of Barbara handling our vegetables.
TomAndBarbara.jpg
Even they got tempted and nearly sucked back into the daily grind during the 'Pottery' episode ;)

Return to “Chill Out Area”