Data and Automation video

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
johnsheppard

Hello,

Stumbled across this Betfair video while looking for some Betangel video...
https://youtu.be/zBU5JA4hl1c

It is I suppose aimed at attracting noobies, but I found it fairly interesting (maybe I am a noob). Thought I'd share it.
I get the impression Betfair Australia are a bit more proactive than the UK bunch...

Betangel gets a little mention about 50 minutes in :)

The R# guy (Tom) looks a bit more stressed than the guy with the dredds guy (Jonathan).

Anyway, maybe it's interesting to you folk.
jamesg46

johnsheppard wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:54 pm
Hello,

Stumbled across this Betfair video while looking for some Betangel video...
https://youtu.be/zBU5JA4hl1c

It is I suppose aimed at attracting noobies, but I found it fairly interesting (maybe I am a noob). Thought I'd share it.
I get the impression Betfair Australia are a bit more proactive than the UK bunch...

Betangel gets a little mention about 50 minutes in :)

The R# guy (Tom) looks a bit more stressed than the guy with the dredds guy (Jonathan).

Anyway, maybe it's interesting to you folk.
I have to be honest, I got bored after watching it for about 8 mins, which is probably where it really starts, maybe I'll go back and take another look.

The part of your post that caught my attention was where you mentioned that the Aus community are more proactive, a little like the Portuguese trading community. Its baffled me for a while why we arent as tightly knitted in our community, really there is only Peter offering content that suits me (trading order flow) & credit to him for taking the time BUT wouldn't it be nice and imo benificial If a group of us came together and organised something similar to Zoom, where we all log on and get together to trade, share ideas and help each other grow, in turn clusters of groups like this would benifit the exchange overall. I'd be open to screen sharing and I think there is room for this sort of thing...
Pob

Anybody here able to help me set up a servant to run in guardian to monitor and back multiple horses in multiple races throughout the morning? I will pay well for the assistance.
johnsheppard

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:09 pm
I have to be honest, I got bored after watching it for about 8 mins, which is probably where it really starts, maybe I'll go back and take another look.
Maybe because they're Australian and I am from there maybe it was more interesting, but yeah I suppose you'd be right to be bored if you have been around a long time. They don't really go over anything that is new hat or particularly in depth.
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:09 pm
The part of your post that caught my attention was where you mentioned that the Aus community are more proactive, a little like the Portuguese trading community. Its baffled me for a while why we arent as tightly knitted in our community, really there is only Peter offering content that suits me (trading order flow) & credit to him for taking the time BUT wouldn't it be nice and imo benificial If a group of us came together and organised something similar to Zoom, where we all log on and get together to trade, share ideas and help each other grow, in turn clusters of groups like this would benifit the exchange overall. I'd be open to screen sharing and I think there is room for this sort of thing...
Well when I say the Aus community, I more meant specifically Betfair. I am still relatively new to it all (maybe 3 years part time) but in my small interactions with Betfair in Aus they have been quite helpful. I get the impression it's not that way over in the UK (although there is every chance I am wrong)

My entrance to come here was just sort of stumbled on it from Google. And this here forum has been where I have learned 90% of anything I've learned AFTER I had tried some things on my own....

The difficulty of forming community is the same as the difficulty in finding a niche.... I would suspect hardcore private messaging might be the way to seed a community on a smaller scale.. they did say at the end of the video they had a Betfair Quant Slack group...darned if I can find it though... as for BetAngel, it's a very broad market its covering...it's positioned as the be all/mainstream product isn't it? So you'll consequently get a wide range of people in different endeavours...which is not all that conducive to REALLY tight nit community.
ShaunWhite

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:26 am
in my small interactions with Betfair in Aus they have been quite helpful. I get the impression it's not that way over in the UK (although there is every chance I am wrong)
Hope you don't mind me correcting that but in my experience Betfair UK dev are really helpful. They're always flexible, respond quickly and generous about suggesting and providing additional info in the api. They're a totally different type of team to the standard customer suport who aren't that great. Their head honcho Neil came along to a traders' meetup back in Jan, top guy.

Best thing I found was that they treated newcommers as respectfully and helpfully as established £multi-million guys. I guess they think you're serious if you're investing 000s of hours going in that direction and also know that your PL can change rapidly if you're fortunate enough to find the right sort of things. I'm not dissing the manual guys who also put 000s of hours in one bit about being serious, but at least they stand a chance of making some money while they're doing it, rather than it all being a guarenteed long period of costs with no immediate payback.
johnsheppard

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:33 am
Hope you don't mind me correcting that but in my experience Betfair UK dev are really helpful. They're always flexible, respond quickly and generous about suggesting and providing additional info in the api. They're a totally different type of team to the standard customer suport who aren't that great. Their head honcho Neil came along to a traders' meetup back in Jan, top guy.
Happy to be corrected. For whatever reason that was just my general feels. I should probably have stated I have never directly dealt with Betfair UK branch. (apart from Neil who has replied to one or two of my API questions when I started out). I must say he does seem like a helpful fellow.

I suppose computer programmers always are helpful stoic sort of people... cause computers are bastards :) Just don't give them a screwdriver.
ShaunWhite

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:45 am
I suppose computer programmers always are helpful stoic sort of people... cause computers are bastards :)
Programmers do share a certain 'you weren't there man' common experience. 10 days deep in occupied jungle or 10 days with a meaningless error message and no documentation, either way you're coming out a husk of your former self. :D

Return to “Chill Out Area”