Window Borders [Tech Tip]

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
SpikeyBob

Hi All,

If like me, you value your screen 'real estate', then you may have noticed that the default theme for Windows 7 has rather large borders around each window.

When I'm running BA, I will have several windows open on my main screen and every pixel counts! :). Also now that BA can save your windows sizes/positions (bye bye Winsize 2) I think it's worth just taking a little time to get your layout as perfect as you can and showing as much info as you can.

So I decided to find out if I can reduce the size of the windows borders to gain me that extra bit of space. After a little bit of googling and I found the answer, so if you want to give it a try, then here are the steps to follow:

1. Right click on your desktop and select 'Personalize' from the context menu.
2. Select 'Window Color'.
3. Click 'Advanced appearance settings...'
4. In the 'Item' dropdown list, select 'Border Padding'
5. The default Size setting is 4, change the number to 0
6. Click apply and notice how much thinner the borders of all your open windows now appear.
7. If you are happy then close any windows that the above steps opened.

Obviously, you can play around with the figure to get the borders to suit your needs if 0 is too thin.

Also, where possible, I overlap the borders of each window, so that they show up as only 1 border regardless of which window is on top. I also now have the graphs overlapping on my screen so that I don't see the title bars and directly below each ladder as shown in the image below.

I hope someone finds this info useful anyway :).

Spikey :geek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Chill Out Area”