Stuff to watch

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
spreadbetting

Luckily my Les Paul tastes are a lot cheaper and I'd be more than happy with a 55 Black Beauty.
MemphisFlash

what about a Gretsch 6120, Eddie Cochran style or a sunburst statocaster, Buddy Holly style
jimibt

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:52 pm
Luckily my Les Paul tastes are a lot cheaper and I'd be more than happy with a 55 Black Beauty.
if you want to do a pretty cheap but spectacular pickup change (that imho sound as good as throbaks at 1/10th the price), then check out these super cheap pups.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_006.htm

I put them into a 73 LP during lockdown - HUGE improvement...
spreadbetting

MemphisFlash wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:57 pm
what about a Gretsch 6120, Eddie Cochran style or a sunburst statocaster, Buddy Holly style
Never been a big fan of hollowbodies, just find them too bulky and when I was growing up strats were always associated with bands like Deep Purple or the Shadows so best avoided even though my first guitar was a red Futurama 2 which was pretty much a cheap strat copy :oops:
spreadbetting

jimibt wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:58 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
if you want to do a pretty cheap but spectacular pickup change (that imho sound as good as throbaks at 1/10th the price), then check out these super cheap pups.

I'm looking for somewhere to stick my 1980 Dirty Fingers, they might be a bit mild, Jim. I've far too many guitars at the moment, had a phase a few years back where I got into the Japanese 80/90's copies Greco's , Yamaha's Orville's etc need to trim th herd before buying more toys.
jimibt

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:12 pm
jimibt wrote:
spreadbetting wrote:

I'm looking for somewhere to stick my 1980 Dirty Fingers, they might be a bit mild, Jim. I've far too many guitars at the moment, had a phase a few years back where I got into the Japanese 80/90's copies Greco's , Yamaha's Orville's etc need to trim th herd before buying more toys.
nah -these are a classic case of using the amp to drive the tone, rather than the overwound pickups. with these, maybe think of paul kossoff meets angus young type tight but organic(?) sound :D. re strats -never liked them either but now have a fairly decent one plus a telecaster deluxe that gets fair service. still prefer the 335 and LP tho - i'm ol' old skool ;)

[edit] - also fckd around with the line 6 vario geeter for a while. a period that i wish to erase !!!
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
jimibt wrote:
spreadbetting wrote:

I always find fiddling with them is a lot more pleasurable than sitting down to play them, that just reminds me how rubbish I am, still.

My Tele is having its 50th birthday soon and I've promised her I'll find someone to give her the fingering she deserves ;). I remember taking it into a shop once for something or other, the guy sat down and made it sound like a million dollars. Handed it back to me and I might as well have had 6 elastic bands around a shoebox.
spreadbetting

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:27 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
jimibt wrote:

I always find fiddling with them is a lot more pleasurable than sitting down to play them, that just reminds me how rubbish I am, still.

My Tele is having its 50th birthday soon and I've promised her I'll find someone to give her the fingering she deserves ;). I remember taking it into a shop once for something or other, the guy sat down and made it sound like a million dollars. Handed it back to me and I might as well have had 6 elastic bands around a shoebox.
I can identify with the tinkering, fell on my left hand a few years back and it's never been the same. Bought a set of japanese nut files and a sanding beam and wish I done it years ago. A nicely cut nut makes such a difference to how a guitar plays. Refinished a couple in nitro cellulose too for something to do. Got a few guitar projects I keep putting off, a battered Yamaha SL1000 that needs refinishing and the fret board changing and fancy plugging the hubucker routes on one of my LP customs to re-route for P90's 55 style.
Last edited by spreadbetting on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimibt

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:39 pm
Refinished a couple in nitro cellulose too for something to do.
now your talking -lol. the beauty of automation, talk guitar shite all day
spreadbetting

jimibt wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Quite a few years ago when I discovered the Japanese guitars sold for a pittance on Yahoo Japan, their version of ebay, I did think about giving up the trading and simply flipping guitars. The Japanese seem to have a thng for only getting new so their high end guitars were going for a pittance, only problem was I could never let them go :) Even their mid range or supposedly lower end stuff put Gibson quality control to shame.
jimibt

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:48 pm
jimibt wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Quite a few years ago when I discovered the Japanese guitars sold for a pittance on Yahoo Japan, their version of ebay, I did think about giving up the trading and simply flipping guitars. The Japanese seem to have a thng for only getting new so their high end guitars were going for a pittance, only problem was I could never let them go :) Even their mid range or supposedly lower end stuff put Gibson quality control to shame.
can't quite bring myself to buying a PRS, even tho they scream quality control!! weird that
spreadbetting

I was talking more of the copies the Japanese churned out in the late 80's onwards. Gibson even commissioned them to make models under the Orville brand as no one was buying the Gibsons they were buying the Greco and Navigators instead. I've one of the Orville By Gibson 57B's didn't see any point keeping my Gibson customs after I got it, they even have the USA Gibson '57 Classic pickups for purists like yourself Jim.. Can't see any reason why people would buy a PRS either.

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-an ... index.html
jimibt

i know this is boring for nayone else and totally OT, so will end on this. i've now stopped hoarding guitars that i don't actively play and likewise, don't buy if i can't sell one. i got to the stage (maybe like you) of having no justification (or storage space) to keep this going.

happily now just have 3 acoustics and the 4 menntioned earlier (tho there are a few under various beds thqat COULD be upgraded -sh!t, here we go again :))

happy days - might finish in a bit to actually do a bit of playing... as they say at my age:

As I get older I find I only need 3 Shops: Specsavers, Boots and Greggs

My life is just specs and drugs and sausage rolls...
spreadbetting

Haven't got to that stage yet, Jim, probably have about 20 stuck on walls and under beds at the moment. Even bought a Jaguar off eBay during lockdown for something to spend my money on and see if I liked them. I didn't ,they're a real pain to keep in tune. Looks nice on the wall though :)
Trader Pat

jimibt wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:44 pm
i know this is boring for nayone else and totally OT, so will end on this. i've now stopped hoarding guitars that i don't actively play and likewise, don't buy if i can't sell one. i got to the stage (maybe like you) of having no justification (or storage space) to keep this going.

happily now just have 3 acoustics and the 4 menntioned earlier (tho there are a few under various beds thqat COULD be upgraded -sh!t, here we go again :))

happy days - might finish in a bit to actually do a bit of playing... as they say at my age:

As I get older I find I only need 3 Shops: Specsavers, Boots and Greggs

My life is just specs and drugs and sausage rolls...
Unfortunately I don't have a collection of percussion instruments so cant give the last line the respect it deserves! :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”