Excel hates me

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
Timstertoo

Or Betangel does but something is rotten in Denmark.

I can't even open a workbook, get this error:

Unable to open workbook - Old format or invalid type DLL-file

(exception of HRESULT: 0x80028018(TYPE_E_INVDATAREAD))

Had to translate the error from Dutch so although the numbers are right one of the words might be off. Thought that the HRESULT thing was probably most important.

:idea: Anyone have any bright ideas? :idea:
TraderGray

Are you using the new BAP version? I understand that spreadsheets designed with previous versions are not necessarily compatible with the new.

I've not tried any myself yet though.
nigelk

I googled your error and came up with the following:

"i found the cause of the problem, it's because the user local settings are different from the office version, i use the english version and after setting language to english us, and country to united states in the reagional and language settings under control panel it worked fine"

Hope it helps.
Nigel.
Timstertoo

thanks for your answer!

Is not it though, I have a Dutch version (so same as the rest of my system) of office. :cry:
TheTub

I remember seeing this in the knowledge base.

Here's the link - http://www.betangel.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=117

Even though you say the solution does not apply to you it seems that Bet Angel, Microsoft and some other users have experience with this issue.

I would double check your Windows and office language settings and version.
Gonsi1

I have the same error that de Dutch user and I don't know how To do for can use Excel with BAP, I have the version 1.21.1

I'm spanish and I have the Spanish version of Office.
Timstertoo

Changing my vista to english didn't help either.
Timstertoo

I believe the problem might be BetAngel not being able to deal with any other language package in Excel then English.

Can anyone from Betfair confirm this? And will there be a fix as if it's right this must affect a lot of international customers.

If I'm wrong: Help! :mrgreen:
TheTub

I would contact support - this is a user forum not a support forum.

But I'm fairly sure they won't supply a fix for a Microsoft bug.
Timstertoo

Following your link posted I get this from the microsoft website:

You receive this error calling an Excel method when the following conditions are true:
The method requires an LCID (locale identifier).
You run an English version of Excel. However, the regional settings for the computer are configured for a non-English language.
If the client computer runs the English version of Excel and the locale for the current user is configured for a language other than English, Excel will try to locate the language pack for the configured language. If the language pack is not found, the error is reported.
Back to the top

Seeing as this is not applicable to me as I run both my Vista as well as my Excel in Dutch they also offer 2 workarounds (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320369)that have to be implemented on the BetAngel side.

So if BetAngel is unwilling to deal with a MS bug as you suggest it means there's nothing I can do besides switching to an English OS and English office which I won't as that is a silly thing to expect from your international clientele. Also a non willingness to deal with bugs from MS would probably mean just not using any MS product ever! :mrgreen:

Or we're both wrong of course and there's a simpler solution. Does anyone have both their Vista and their Excel in a non English language and using the Excel funtion without any problems?

I've seen BetAngel staff/owners respond in other threads so I don't see why they wouldn't respond here??
Timstertoo

Seeing as I have Vista ultimate on my desktop I downloaded the English language pack and set Excel to English too.

Worked like a charm so I guess BetAngel caters to English customers only. :(

I don't know if it is mentioned but I suggest you put on the site somewhere that if you're an international user you have limited functionality for full price. :roll:

For other users having this problem:

If you have Vista Ultimate you can download the English language pack through windows update. You can find that in the start menu.

If you don't see the pack straight away you probably haven't done the SP1 yet shown as an update and you'll have to do that first. After that you'll see the option to download language packs.

Choose English US and switch your Vista to that. Also switch you Excel to English US and you're up and running.

For all other versions of Vista as I have on my laptops (business), you're screwed as far as I can see... :(
MS won't let you download additional packs. I was hoping they'd let me pay for one but can't find that option either.

Of course the easiest would be BetAngel applying the fix offered by MS and saving all of us a lot of time and money. ;)

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”