Has anyone actually built a succesful Excel system yet?

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
karnage

I'm just wondering if anyone of you has built a successful trading system, where it's trading on the odds as opposed to betting on the outcome of a race ? I just thought I'd pop by and tell you what I've been doing.

I'm in the process of developing a trading system. So far I have a system that "records" the data I want, I've added a load of VBA code to write in the appropriate formulas for moving averages and a number of other technical indicators. Writing code that has needed lines like this
formula1 = "=ROUND((B" & RowCountasString & "+E" & RowCountasString & ")/2,2)"
was probably the most painful bit of coding I've ever done. Would not recommend.
My professional programmer friends laugh at VBA , because theyre into C++ and Python etc, but as far as I can see, there's no programming problem I cannot solve with this language for this system.

I've also built in a testing system where I can simulate trading on my data. So for example if I want to test what would happen if: "I do a lay at every short/long moving average crossover, in the expectation the odds will move higher, and back it a bit later for a profit", I can put this into my code as the criteria for opening an "up" trade, and run my simulation to see what happens (clue: its not profitable)

My latest idea is some fairly complex stuff to get my system to "learn" from my data and technical indicators and assign weightings to various variables and factors in my data.

I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone's interested.
THENUTS

karnage wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:23 pm
I'm just wondering if anyone of you has built a successful trading system, where it's trading on the odds as opposed to betting on the outcome of a race ?
Maybe...............

http://www.betangel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13923
spreadbetting

I'd imagine there are a lot of people with successful automated systems but probably not as many succesful automated systems that 'trade' in the pure sense of the meaning. I think you always need to play to your strengths and not sure that 'pure strading' is where the strengths of 'bots' lie tbh.
Bluesky

karnage wrote:
I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone's interested.
I think its always interesting to read how other people are getting on with various trading systems so please keep us posted on how things are going, and good luck to you.
Bluesky

Posted that last reply without adding the following which is what I had intended to do:-

Reading on this and other forums, hedge funds and similar entities employ people to develop fully automated sports trading systems. I don't know how many people they would employ to do this, but to do it on your own will take a lot of hard work, especially if like spreadbetting commented, you are looking to develop a pure trading system.

I guess if you are a gifted coder and have plenty of time on your hands it is possible and I am sure several people have done it, but not that many I'm sure, at least not on their own.
ruthlessimon

Bluesky wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm
Reading on this and other forums, hedge funds and similar entities employ people to develop fully automated sports trading systems.
I doubt that, because Peter would have started one, & have millions under asset by now. He'd make far more money through commissions than working his own account.
LinusP

There are hedge funds out there, some even use my code...

And I have done it on my own, don't consider myself a gifted coder just very determined!
Bluesky

ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:07 pm
I doubt that, because Peter would have started one, & have millions under asset by now. He'd make far more money through commissions than working his own account.
When I get a chance I will see if I can find a thread for you on this. I am sure I read something about companies developing software sports trading systems on here some time ago, not got the time to look at the moment as about to go out but should have a chance later on today.
ShaunWhite

karnage wrote:
My professional programmer friends laugh at VBA , because theyre into C++ and Python etc, but as far as I can see, there's no programming problem I cannot solve with this language for this system.
If they laugh at VB then they are fools. The biggest integrated front/back office system on the planet is/was written in VB (not VBA I grant you but only because the database wan't in Excel). I worked on it on and off from '83 all the way through till about '03. 90 out of the top 100 asset management companies used it and with a basic annual licence costing over 25 grand a seat it certainly wasn't a mickey mouse piece of software. A good story teller can write the same tale in any language.
ShaunWhite

Bluesky wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm
Reading on this and other forums, hedge funds and similar entities employ people to develop fully automated sports trading systems. I don't know how many people they would employ to do this,
I very much doubt it. Apart from the sport trading market being chicken feed, you'd have a hell of a job selling a fund with a sports trading mandate. As Euler always says, there's no point having a million pound bank, and a million pound pound would be tiny, plus with decent coders being iro 600 a day you certainly couldn't afford to hire many.
Bluesky

Bluesky wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:34 pm
When I get a chance I will see if I can find a thread for you on this. I am sure I read something about companies developing software sports trading systems on here some time ago, not got the time to look at the moment as about to go out but should have a chance later on today.
Here is the thread I mentioned earlier.

http://www.betangel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=20

The posts to take note of are the ones by lightwing, now he might be full of it, I don't know him, but I have heard from other traders that sports trading syndicates do exist, employing really smart coders, and they make millions of pounds a year using BF. I have no actual proof of this however, but I cant see why it would not be true.

I have seen a screen shot somewhere (can't remember where could be this forum) I can't remember the exact profit figure, but I think it was something like £100,000 profit on one football match. I think it was posted by a female trader living in Italy (don't think she was the actual trader) I think she was just showing what is possible to do just on one football match if your smart enough, but I would not be surprised if the actual trader was a system developed by very bright people.
Dallas

Bluesky wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:25 pm
I have seen a screen shot somewhere (can't remember where could be this forum) I can't remember the exact profit figure, but I think it was something like £100,000 profit on one football match. I think it was posted by a female trader living in Italy (don't think she was the actual trader) I think she was just showing what is possible to do just on one football match if your smart enough, but I would not be surprised if the actual trader was a system developed by very bright people.
I vaguely remember this post, or at least the part about a female trader in Italy if my memory serves me correctly she was mentioned by the user giulio2010 who i think worked with or was taught by her so you might want to start with searching some of his posts if your wanting to find it
LeTiss

Enzabella?

She used to post here
ruthlessimon

so lightwing works for a 'super secretive syndicate' but felt the desperate need to brag on a thread about a failing scalper.. hmmmm.. makes sense
Bluesky

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:02 pm
Enzabella?

She used to post here
I think so but I'm not sure. I read a lot of forums concerning sport and financial trading and also match betting, so I often forget just where I have read something.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”