Offset and Stop commands

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
burntheory

Having spent the last 15 years backing and laying on Betfair I've finally decided to start dabbling with trading principles, and have a couple of questions regarding the limitations of what can be achieved using Excel to manage the markets I'm interested in playing.

The first is the most basic and I suspect I know the likely answer. When using commands such as OFFSET and STOP, is it necessary to be connected to the BF markets via Guardian for the duration of the transaction/s. The reason I ask is because all my orders are placed via Excel early each morning, with any unmatched orders being taken at Betfair SP. Does the BA engine continue to monitor the BF markets and trigger OFFSETs and STOPs on the user's behalf, even after they've logged out?

If this were the case, what happens in races where non-runners cause unmatched lay bets to be cancelled and there's an OFFSET command linked to them? Would the OFFSET be cancelled as well, leaving a BSP lay order in place, with no corresponding back order to 'offset' it and nothing but a potential lay liability.

In theory, this might be worked around by leaving the OFFSET command out but what I've read so far suggests that the STOP command is used in conjunction with OFFSET and can't be used in isolation. If it were possible to place lay and back orders independently, applying STOPs to both, thereby controlling potential liabilities, that would be of interest.

Obviously I could try some of these ideas out in practice mode, but before spending time re-vamping my spreadsheet I thought I'd ask if the above is possible, especially the off-line element, as any time I've used practice mode, logging out automatically discards everything that happened during the session.

Thanks.
Dallas

For any automation to trigger you need to have an active connection to Betfair otherwise you cant get price updates for your automation to know when it has to trigger and then it couldn't send any bets or instructions to Betfair with no connection.

If you intend to run automation over a long period of time you would need to look at a VPS, these will run 24/7 without you having to leave your PC on and connected all day.
https://www.betangel.com/vps/
burntheory

Thanks Dallas.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”