VBA developer

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
Derek27

If you've got the time, it may be worth learning the basics of VBA and see if you feel you might be able to manage it on your own. It can be quite surprising how quickly you pick things up once you get started.
michaelg2708

That had went through my head and at this stage it's looking like thats the only option but I'll miss the summer racing then. Only started using excel when I started using bet angel before that I didn't even know there was such a thing as an IF function. I would rather pay to get it sorted quickly and start making money
spreadbetting

Do they all need to run off the same sheet, i.e could you split up the sheets into individual ones to run your strategy?
michaelg2708

I use it to make custom graphs so sheet 1 is the first race with custom graphs and sheet 2 is the next race and so on. Each sheet is separate and doesn't affect any other sheet if that's what u mean
Kafkaesque

michaelg2708 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 am
That had went through my head and at this stage it's looking like thats the only option but I'll miss the summer racing then. Only started using excel when I started using bet angel before that I didn't even know there was such a thing as an IF function. I would rather pay to get it sorted quickly and start making money
That last sentence is a bold statement ;) If you're that certain it's a money-spinner, then by all means pay someone for it. If you're not as certain as that statement comes off, then fwiw remember that there's other benefits to learning it besides not paying someone for it right now. In learning to do it yourself, you'd be surprised at the ahaaaaa moments coming your way. These will help if and when this strategy needs tweaking, and in developing new strategies. What happens if you find a bug in the strategy? Back to paying someone to work on the nitty gritty part again?
Derek27

If you do decide to learn it yourself, make sure you learn good programming practices (structures, naming conventions, etc). It will make work a lot easier in the long run.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:04 am
If you do decide to learn it yourself, make sure you learn good programming practices (structures, naming conventions, etc). It will make work a lot easier in the long run.
Narrrr, just dive in and get something working. :D There's plenty of time for all that dusty old stuff when you've had a little buzz of "I can do this". When you go on your hols do you want to order a beer, or learn how to conjugate verbs ?

The good practice will start to happen the first time you look at month old code, and it doesn't make any sense :shock: .
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 am
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:04 am
Narrrr, just dive in and get something working. :D There's plenty of time for all that dusty old stuff when you've had a little buzz of "I can do this". When you go on your hols do you want to order a beer, or learn how to conjugate verbs ?

The good practice will start to happen the first time you look at month old code, and it doesn't make any sense :shock: .
I've got some old code I wrote in a hurry that I'm still using and it's a nightmare modifying it. Just spending half-an-hour reading about good programming practice can save you a lot of time and even get the project completed quicker!

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”