VBA developer

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
ShaunWhite

I agree with jimi about interpreting other people's work. The thing is it's just like any other language with verbs, nouns and adjectives, there's many ways to tell the same story and you can end up with anything from a rambling stream of consciousness to a limerick.

I tried to introduce rigid standards at work but you could still spot an individual's works as easily as seeing their handwriting. These days, because I'm the only one who sees it it's a lot less formal. But that's also because doing 'proper' coding takes so much longer and it's time you don't always want to commit to something that might not get beyond a prototype. And if it does end up being useful then, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Similarly it might be hard to give specific advice as it might not be relevant and tbh you do need some experience with the vba dev front-end to step through the code and put in some debug in to see what's going on.

Unless it contains something especially secretive, then if you made it available on Dropbox or similar then perhaps someone can give it a 5 minute look at to see if the basics are sound?
foxwood

The first thing to check for support always used to be "is it turned on" so I'm going to be silly and go back to basics just in case your refresh rate is set at 2 seconds :D ...

1) is Excel connected to Guardian or to the main BA window ?
2) what is the refresh rate you are using for BA/Guardian ?
3) if you are using Guardian what are the restrict refresh time settings ?
4) are you linking multiple markets to Excel ?
5) if multiple markets, how many can be active in BA/Guardian at the same time ?
6) are you running watch lists at the same time ?
7) any other market/setup/timing oddities this might have made you think of ?
michaelg2708

I took Shaun's advice and have uploaded my file to dropbox if someone could spare ten minutes to take a look at it to let me know does it need a tweak or a complete rewrite. i have removed my formulas as this would reveal my strategy. this is the file that i got made for me so the VBA code is not mine, i understand what it is doing but can't write it. first time using dropbox so if it doesn't work let me know. i always have the spreadsheet running off guardian with a 15 minute restrict on it so sometimes there are 3 races going at once and i always have it running at 20ms
cheers, michael

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnc44yz76vtz9 ... .xlsm?dl=0
MemphisFlash

i'm sure i've seen this exact sheet somewhere before!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivFozmCvqh0&t=5s
Last edited by MemphisFlash on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelg2708

its from excel betting bots but i paid to get a custom one with a few changes plus get multiple spreadsheets. can you see any ways to make it quicker?
MemphisFlash

the sheets i create are no where near as complicated as this. i did not know VBA code before i started with bet Angel. i am mostly self taught from you tube clips and i work with excel so i have people around me that can help if i get in a jam. this is way out of my league. there are too many sub routines i do not know where to start.
Last edited by MemphisFlash on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spreadbetting

Yep far too many routines to search thru to see where it's slowing down, looks a nightmare sheet tbh, events are left on so they'd be triggering all over the place and just copying and pasting code into each sheet really isn't the way to code things properly. Hope you didn't pay too much for it
michaelg2708

I know it's not great and there is alot of code that probably isn't needed and paid too much for it but it has got me to a stage where I know I have a good strategy just need the sheet to be quicker to get out the kinks. If there are any VBA developers reading this that are able to do this for a price please get in touch
Cheers, michael
spreadbetting

michaelg2708 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:31 pm
I know it's not great and there is alot of code that probably isn't needed and paid too much for it but it has got me to a stage where I know I have a good strategy just need the sheet to be quicker to get out the kinks. If there are any VBA developers reading this that are able to do this for a price please get in touch
Cheers, michael
Did they do a custom sheet to your spec or just tweak one of their own because if half the stuff isn't needed you might be better off just getting someone like nigel to code one from scratch to your exact specs. If there's a lot of unneccesary bits leftover from their sheets it might be best just to start from scratch as it's always hard to try and tweak a poorly coded sheet and sometimes best just to scrap it. Hopefully you'll get someone to do it as if it makes you money it's worth paying the initial outlay as bots can be easy money makers
michaelg2708

They just tweaked one of their own. Was emailing Nigel back and forward then he stopped replying so I posted on here to see if anyone else could help, fingers crossed
Derek27

If you've got the time, it may be worth learning the basics of VBA and see if you feel you might be able to manage it on your own. It can be quite surprising how quickly you pick things up once you get started.
michaelg2708

That had went through my head and at this stage it's looking like thats the only option but I'll miss the summer racing then. Only started using excel when I started using bet angel before that I didn't even know there was such a thing as an IF function. I would rather pay to get it sorted quickly and start making money
spreadbetting

Do they all need to run off the same sheet, i.e could you split up the sheets into individual ones to run your strategy?
michaelg2708

I use it to make custom graphs so sheet 1 is the first race with custom graphs and sheet 2 is the next race and so on. Each sheet is separate and doesn't affect any other sheet if that's what u mean
Kafkaesque

michaelg2708 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 am
That had went through my head and at this stage it's looking like thats the only option but I'll miss the summer racing then. Only started using excel when I started using bet angel before that I didn't even know there was such a thing as an IF function. I would rather pay to get it sorted quickly and start making money
That last sentence is a bold statement ;) If you're that certain it's a money-spinner, then by all means pay someone for it. If you're not as certain as that statement comes off, then fwiw remember that there's other benefits to learning it besides not paying someone for it right now. In learning to do it yourself, you'd be surprised at the ahaaaaa moments coming your way. These will help if and when this strategy needs tweaking, and in developing new strategies. What happens if you find a bug in the strategy? Back to paying someone to work on the nitty gritty part again?

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”