Introducing Excel Soccer Livescore

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
northbound

CURRENT VERSION: 0.2

Please find attached an Excel spreadsheet which automatically updates with the latest scores every few seconds (score, shots, dangerous attacks, possession, etc.).

Basically, it fetches scores in Excel-friendly format from one of my web servers, which gets them from a paid professional API. No scraping.

This is just a prototype for now, but if there's demand and I can get it to a stable version, this will become a paid product as there are costs involved (scores API, web hosting, programming, etc).

Feel free to suggest improvements. People that offer valuable input, especially on the VBA front, will get a free subscription if this becomes a paid product.

SoccerLivescore_v_0_2.xlsm.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kafkaesque

Very interesting initiative.

Personally I don't trade/use automation where I'm dependent on those trades being adjusted as scores change (other than my manual thought process, of course). My understanding though is that this sort of update is already included within BA. Someone will correct, if I'm wrong on that one, I'm sure, but if I'm correct, in which way(s) are you thinking this will be an improvement?

Also, given that you're posting it here, running it through Excel, and talking about a paid service in time, I assume you've got specific trading scenarios in mind? Could you expand on what those might be? I'm intrigued at least :)
Westerner

Thanks - have downloaded and will take a look.

Just one thing - I know it has kick off time but how about having a column for minutes played? e.g. 33 mins etc.
northbound

Westerner wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:31 pm
Just one thing - I know it has kick off time but how about having a column for minutes played? e.g. 33 mins etc.
The Status column shows the current minute (e.g. 33) or status (HT, FT, etc.) while the game is live.
Last edited by northbound on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
northbound

Kafkaesque wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:20 pm
My understanding though is that this sort of update is already included within BA.
BA doesn't currently contain soccer live scores / stats.

Kafkaesque wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:20 pm
Also, given that you're posting it here, running it through Excel, and talking about a paid service in time, I assume you've got specific trading scenarios in mind? Could you expand on what those might be? I'm intrigued at least :)
Sure. You don't necessarily have to use this spreadsheet for triggering bets, if you're not familiar with Excel.

It can even simply help you to spot trading entry points in different matches being played at the same time, without having to constantly navigate live score websites.

Two simple ideas, that perhaps could be of interest in less known leagues.

Example 1: Big fav team (odds around 1.30), after the first 5min you can see the underdogs had shots on goal and many more dangerous attacks than the favs. You could lay the slow starting favs, often their odds go up a few ticks pretty quickly. A good example was AIK v Brommapojkarna a few days ago.

Example 2: Game where you expect loads of goals, the score is 1-1 around the 70th minute and the stats show very few shots on target / dangerous attacks. You could consider backing Under 2.5 goals.
Westerner

northbound wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:43 pm
Westerner wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:31 pm
The Status column shows the current minute (e.g. 33) or status (HT, FT, etc.) while the game is live.
Thanks - my mistake - noticed when I hooked it up. Cheers.
LinusP

northbound wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:00 pm
Basically, it fetches scores in Excel-friendly format from one of my web servers, which gets them from a paid professional API. No scraping.
Legally?
northbound

LinusP wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:01 pm
northbound wrote:
Legally?
Yes, paid for with a monthly subscription.
LinusP

northbound wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:05 pm
LinusP wrote:
northbound wrote:
Legally?
And the terms and conditions state you can do this?
ShaunWhite

northbound wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:05 pm
LinusP wrote:
northbound wrote:
Legally?
Who's it from? And that allows for unlimited free or paid onward distribution?
northbound

LinusP wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:20 pm
The terms and conditions don’t state anything regarding usage or distribution.

The website says that the API is for scores that one can put on his website and that that the API key can be used by only one developer.

Nothing else.
foxwood

northbound wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:48 pm
LinusP wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:20 pm
The terms and conditions don’t state anything regarding usage or distribution.

The website says that the API is for scores that one can put on his website and that that the API key can be used by only one developer.

Nothing else.
Hope you're making lots of money with the score info - IMHO you are going to need it when they come after you. Basically you are intending to sell on their intellectual property and deprive them of business.

Sounds to me that the only thing they say you can do is put it on your website - that specific grant of use would be interpreted as meaning you cannot do other things with it other than put it on your website. Suggest you run it past a lawyer - preferably one with IP knowledge.

Even if you were right and could do it I would expect they will just change their T&C's to forbid it specifically once they become aware.
BetScalper

This reminds me of a pub I used to drink in. They were showing live football matches via normal sky/virgin subscription's.

To cut along story short, the owners were sued by both providers, went bankrupt and had an official receiver future earnings warrant lasting 3 years.

And to cap it all a criminal record.

I am no expert but I would assume the same would be true of passing on data to others via an individual based
subscription API.

A good lawyer would take you to the cleaners and you would end up with a massive bill for damages and court costs and/or worse.

Anyone that uses the data via your server could also be liable if they were traced.

I also imagine that the owners of BA could be prosecuted for allowing this spreadsheet to be held and download via their site.

For all the reasons I have stated, think I will pass.
Euler

We can't distribute scores without an appropriate license, which is why one isn't in the product (yet). But users can do whatever they want.
northbound

You all make good points, although the lack of “terms and conditions” of this particular provider made me think they are not that restrictive.

To avoid potential legal problems, I might indeed decide not to continue with this Excel project and instead create a free livescore website with stats for multiple games on the same page.

Which wouldn’t be linkable to BetAngel for triggering bets, but might still be useful to find value entry points for trades, especially in less popular leagues.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”