Betting bots

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
mtrend

Hi,

In the last month or so I have created a couple of betting bots which appeared to be sucessful ie. my last one I ran it against 700 races & it was returning a nice % profit. But then it suddenly starts losing, this has happened twice now with two different bots I have created ie. consitently win for 00's of races & then just starts consistently losing

I would have thought 700 races would be a good test amount to see if something is going to work or not.

It almost seems like someone is detecting my bots betting patterns & putting 'false' money in to trigger my bets & then pulling their money out.

I guess this is pretty profitable for clever people who have created such software to do this. Do you think this is happening common place on betfair or me being paranoid ??

Thanks
Dogmatic

I think it's probably impossible to say without knowing more about what the bots are doing.
mtrend

Hi Dog,

Basically just trading before the off backing & laying according to WOM, movements etc etc....

The stats from 700 races qualify as statistically significant I would have thought, are you aware of any software at there that looks for patterns in betting on betfair ie. detect that a bet always is getting fired when the following conditions are met.

Im guessing half decent coders could write something to pick up these patterns fairly easily ?
Last edited by mtrend on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nero Tulip

I have had this happen several times this year. I write something good, it runs and makes money for 1000-1500 races, then someone alters their algorithm as if they detected me and it stops or begins to lose money. It's amazing how regular this occurance has become. You cannot stand still in this game.
mtrend

Glad its not me just being paranoid, definitley seems that some people have software out there to detect betting patterns created by bots etc & create false positions to trigger the bots.

I altered a few of my parameters for yesterdays racing to throw ' this thing ' off the trail & won as expected, see what happens today.
Jimmy

Hi guys,

Nothing last forever, every month or so you will have to look and see if you can improve your bot. I think it just people changing they way they bet. Other people will also be looking for a better way to win and they will try different things which might throw your system out of sync.

Anyway good look keep winning.

Cheers

Jimmy
dogform

I am not sure but it may be possible to detect betting patterns from Fracsoft time stamped historical data.

If your "bots" are placing transactions to a predefined set of conditions then analysis of historical data may possibly reveal the conditions. It would not be easy and would require some decent analytical tools etc, but nonetheless, it may be possible ?

Just a thought.

Regards
dog
Jimmy

Hi Dog,

Thanks for that, I didn't know anything existed like that. The down side is that to do any good research into the UK race market will cost a fortune.
Shame they don't do a subscription service.

Cheers

Jimmy
dogform

Jimmy,

Fracsoft do have a subscription service. They are the approved Betfair provider of time stamped historical data, mind you, it is not cheap if you wanted a years supply of races.

Unless an end user logged their own market data then Fracsoft are the only provider of the time stamped historical data. The Betfair data provided free of charge by Betfair is not as detailed as the Fracsoft data but is useful for some purposes.

Logging data oneself is relatively straightforward, however, doing it for all the required events is the pain and that is where Fracsoft come to the fore, ie, it is all done for the customer.

Regards
dog

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”