Errors in my Excel sheet

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
chrisboehr

Hello everyone,

As I'm a newbie starting to use the Excel feature (with is a great tool), this might be very easy to solve:
I'm trying the following command in a horse market and always get the status "ERROR"
LAY OFFSET: 19 WITH_GREENING: TRUE STOP:43
Stake: 10€, Price: 5.6
Making the same bet from within the one-click window worked fine.

Best regards,
Christian
Dogmatic

You seem to have spaces between the keywords and their associated values, e.g. "OFFSET: 19". Try removing these. If that doesn't help, please post the exact command you're using - cut and paste it from excel.
chrisboehr

Thank you,
I tried around a bit and now get a more specific error message using the following command:
LAY OFFSET:7 WITH_GREENING:TRUE STOP:10
with a price of 1.78 and a stake of 10€.
"Price not in betting increment"
What I don't get is: Shouldn't the use of "ticks" as unit avoid running into this error? In this case, the tick size should be 0.01, meaning the back should be placed at 1.85 and the stop loss should fire at 1.68...
Placing a bet with the same offset and stop-loss manually (meaning the "one-click") works fine.
Best regards,
Christian
TheTub

Your formula looks fine - I just tried it and got no errors at all.

I know Bet Angel can be a stickler for accuracy. Is your stake or odds value arrived at via a calculation? If so, try rounding to 2 decimal places.
chrisboehr

I tried that (using =rounddown(x,2) and format/number/2 digits everywhere), but it still did not help.
Trying a bit further, it would accept some values.
LAY OFFSET:6 WITH_GREENING:TRUE STOP:6 at a price of 2.90 did work. What surprised me was, that tha price that was accepted was 3.05. I thought, that it would only accept better prices (meaning lower odds when laying).
Can it be, that there might be a conflict with the language/region settings (especially "." vs. ",")? If so, which regional settings should be working with the English version of Excel?

Best,
Christian

Btw, I'm using Excel 2007, just in case that could make problems.
It's a shame, the Excel integration is the most powerful feature of Betangel, but so far useless for me... :(
Dogmatic

Not sure what's causing your problem, but remember that setting the format of a cell to "number/2 decimal places" does NOT alter the value of the cell, only the way it's displayed. So if the price cell contains 2.90333 Bet Angel will reject it, even though it's displayed as 2.90. To check this, change the format of the cell to display 30 decimal places and confirm that the price is correct.

Can't explain why a Lay bet placed at 2.9 would get matched at 3.05 - shouldn't be possible. I suspect a problem with your spreadsheet is the most likely cause. Check the Bet Angel log after the bet has been placed to see exactly what Bet Angel thinks you've told it to do.
Nero Tulip

Stick with it, it's the best feature of BetAngel IMO, but you do have to be consistantly rigorous with your methods to avoid errors. Once you find the problem it will most likely seem obvious.

How are you arriving at the odds for these bets? I don't understand why a request of 2.9 would hit the market at 3.05, unless the odds had moved in the mean time and your 2.9 request got matched at a better price.
chrisboehr

Thanks for the advice!
I had also included the rounddown(x,2) function, to have 2 decimals only, so this should not be the problem. The Log was a good hint, why didn't I check that earlier...
For example, now it just showed "Unable to place bet on Italian Tom at 2,98. Price not in betting increment"
Shouldn't it say "2.98"? If there really is a problem with the regional settings and points and commata are mixed up, then this could explain wrong or invalid prices being posted, right?

Best,
Christian
chrisboehr

I'm afraid I have to give up. :(
I've tried different regional settings, but that didn't help either. But I still think, this "," instead of "." in the Log is a hint to the problem.
I thought about trying Excel 2003 instead of 2007, but there is no trial available anymore...

Best regards,
Christian
TheTub

There is no problem with Excel 2007. It's all I've ever used with Bet Angel.

But I think there is a problem with regional settings. You cannot use '.' if your system is set up to use ',' as the decimal separator.

If your current region does not work then set Excel to use the alternative.
Dogmatic

Just a thought - in Excel 2007, hit the Office Button (top left), select Excel Options, then Advanced. Under Editing Options, check that "Use system separators" is checked, and that the decimal separator is shown as a ".". If it's not, your system settings are wrong.
chrisboehr

Thanks, I've checked that.
It's using the system settings (English - US, . for decimals, , for thousands). It still doesn't work. On two different computers...
Best, Christian
Dogmatic

The only other thing I can suggest is that you post the spreadsheet, and let someone else try it on their machine.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”