What is the point?

A place to discuss anything.
Iron

ruthlessimon wrote: imagine everyone finished college with A*, A*, A*, A* - society wouldn't function. who'd want the rubbish jobs?
Immigrants! :lol:

BTW, you haven't countered my point that trading delivers no societal benefit.

Trading on the stock market gives companies a way of raising money, but trading on Betfair?

Jeff
Euler

If you have any sort of public profile you will get stick, that comes with the territory. Whether that justifies personal insults & lying is another thing.

However, it seems when people see that it undermines the protagonist and simply serves to drive more interest. At that point, people seem to work things out for themselves. If people put forward strong arguments without the insults, that may actually work IMHO. Have to say that it's unfortunate that frauds like Jean Delesse (and others) get no publicity in comparison. Fakes and frauds use untrue comments as cover.

I actually find the whole thing quite amusing now. This sort of stuff has filled in the final piece of the jigsaw for me, as to how people think, act on that and why. That's helped me gain much more insight. There have been some long-term biases in the market I just couldn't explain. But now I realise they are inbuilt, it's human behaviour. I don't think it will ever change.

You learn that people try and impose their view of the world and there is no changing that. If somebody felt they could fly, you could argue as much as you like. But watch as they eventually jump off the cliff to prove you wrong. I've seen it so many times. I don't really bother arguing now. The real battle is in the market, that's where your views are made and rewarded. That's where people actually throw themselves off a cliff, even if you tell them not to!

Many people have joined me on the journey and will on future journeys, where ever they lead and have benefited from it massively. But many had the chance, didn't do it and are still arguing.

Looking back it wouldn't have made a great deal of difference on my journey if I didn't have the software business. I could have and just not been the public face. But back then we all needed an evangelist, not for the software, but for the concept and that's how I became the public face.

Trading still is what I'm predominately occupied with and will be it for the foreseeable future, even if that's with more involvement from my children. Whether they want to be evangelists is another question, I suspect not!

People seem to have forgotten what exchanges were supposed to replace. They are and are still, a much better way of having a punt or pitting your wits and judgement against others. SP on racing since the start of the year has been an astonishing 100.08%. Perhaps we should go back to the good old days of 120% books?
ruthlessimon

Ferru123 wrote:trading delivers no societal benefit.
in some ways, that's why i love trading so much - it's inherently pointless! i'm buying/selling something i'll never own, with someone i'll never meet, using what happened in the past to predict the future!

also im pretty anti-establishment/rat-race anyway. i can't ever see myself getting a normal job now (maybe landlord!!); i'm hooked & love the challenge of trading (it's a pure meritocracy). if i was at uni, i'd have dropped out. thank christ i found betfair after i finished my a-levels!

P.S. i'd prefer to lose 40k trading betfair, than get some shitty degree & a dead-end unsatisfied job (but at least im doing my bit for society.....)
Last edited by ruthlessimon on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaHorseRacing

ruthlessimon wrote:
Ferru123 wrote:trading delivers no societal benefit.
in some ways, that's why i love trading so much - it's inherently pointless! i'm buying/selling something i'll never own, with someone i'll never meet, using what happened in the past to predict the future!

also im pretty anti-establishment/rat-race anyway. i can't ever see myself getting a normal job now (maybe landlord!!); i'm hooked & love the challenge of trading (it's a pure meritocracy). if i was at uni, i'd have dropped out. thank christ i found betfair after i finished my a-levels!
But this is were the futures going on alot of areas in life. Societal benefit is thing of the pass.

Anyway there is one societal benefit from trading!! Traders are offering liquidity at a practically zero book percentange. So punters are getting value!!
In my view bookies are the most un ethical business in the modern day!
Nero Tulip

Bluesky wrote:Really nice post Nero Tulip, I enjoyed reading it, thanks for taking the time to produce it, you make some excellent points.
That's kind of you Bluesky, thanks.
Korattt

love him or loathe him I think this pic sums this thread up, you're bigger than this JG, I've nearly given up trading numerous times but with your encouragement I'm still here plugging away
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”