Profit as a Percentage of Turnover

A place to discuss anything.
PeterLe

Hi
I have just received a report from the Betfair help desk that details my trading over the last year....
I'm looking at setting some new goals this year and one area I want to focus on is profit generated as a percentage of turnover...
My profit is 2.98%...but to be honest I dont know whether this is good, bad or indifferent?? This is mainly automated on the horse racing market where 93.8% of my trading has taken place..
My gut feel is that this is OK? Can someone give me an idea what a good yardstick is in terms of percentages?
regards
Peter
PS My best percentage is on Greyhounds strangely enough at 7.22%..but I just find it so boring to trade...
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Difficult to compare like for like because of different styles. But Peter did post up on the blog about some information that was available: -

http://www.betangel.com/blog_wp/2009/09 ... -turnover/
PeterLe

Thanks I forgot about that post.
On the face of it then, I should be happy with that. It's true; It's not possible to compare with the percentage Peter is achieving as i am putting much smaller stakes (and fewer) that Peter.
I have tried scaling my bet size, but hit a plateau above a certain point..from there is is a case of diminishing returns...
Thanks for the info...would be keen to hear from others running on auto...(You can PM me if you dont wish to post...Thank you)
Peter
eightbo

PeterLe wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:52 am
Hi
I have just received a report from the Betfair help desk that details my trading over the last year....
I'm looking at setting some new goals this year and one area I want to focus on is profit generated as a percentage of turnover...
My profit is 2.98%...but to be honest I dont know whether this is good, bad or indifferent?? This is mainly automated on the horse racing market where 93.8% of my trading has taken place..
My gut feel is that this is OK? Can someone give me an idea what a good yardstick is in terms of percentages?
regards
Peter
PS My best percentage is on Greyhounds strangely enough at 7.22%..but I just find it so boring to trade...
Almost a decade on now ... any updates? 8-) viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18654&p=185100#p185100
PeterLe

Well Im still here :D
Very different these days to 2010! I think that anyone who is making a profit these days (even if a small profit) is doing very well!
When I look back now to that period up to about 2012/2013 it was like printing money; not these days sadly!
Regards
Peter
LinusP

Here is mine with roi = sum(profit) / sum(size_settled):
Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 11.58.20.png
Note that roi is lower this year as I have dramatically increased turnover on pre race and had a terrible Jan/Feb (only started recording data at this level from 2016 sadly)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eightbo

Nice one boys.
LinusP wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:00 pm
roi = sum(profit) / sum(size_settled)

Code: Select all

self.size_settled = kwargs.get("sizeSettled")
What's sizeSettled comprised of?
LinusP

eightbo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 pm
Nice one boys.
LinusP wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:00 pm
roi = sum(profit) / sum(size_settled)

Code: Select all

self.size_settled = kwargs.get("sizeSettled")
What's sizeSettled comprised of?
The cumulative bet size that was settled as matched or voided under this Item, in the account currency. Available at SIDE groupBy level or lower.
https://docs.developer.betfair.com/disp ... derSummary

Return to “General discussion”