Anyone use iMAC / vmare for trading with multiple monitors ?

A place to discuss anything.
kev

I'm using an iMac for Betangel with a 27" screen, but I would like another screen for more desktop space (graphs etc.). I have connected an additional monitor to the iMAC and run XP in a vmware session, however vmare doesn't allow me to extend the desktop over the full width of the new screen.

Does anyone else use Betangel in a vmware session with multiple monitors? I cant find any solution apart from possibly using bootcamp to run native XP and hope it recognizes multiple monitors ?
PeterLe

Hi Kev,
Yes I have done in the past. I've posted a few entries on here...
But...There is a very tiny delay when you run a VMWare session...so depending upon what you are doing - be careful...(I now use the Microsoft RDC function for the Imac)

I used the Matrox drivers that came with my adapter to stretch the screen over the three monitors. (Ie it considers the three screens as a single monitor (or slave) to the master monitor)

Happy to talk you through what I did if you need any help...
Thanks
Peter
kev

yes any help would be great. I'm using the standard dvi adapter on the back of the iMac for the 2nd monitor, may just be a case of changing my drivers in xp?

I dont appear to experience any significant response delay, and I'm also capturing all trading with Camstudio at the same time, but I'll do a comparison with a windows PC I have anyway, thanks.

Kev
mbb

Hi Kev, I use VM Fusion on my MacbookPro with external monitor. No problems with the extra screen, I set to View in "Unity" mode, and windows can be dragged about on both laptop and external screen - no problems, no special driver setup, VM does it all out of the box.

I have to keep an eye on the number of apps I run, but for a trading session I find it OK, and quite quick enough.

I thought about the Matrox solution, but if I'm only using one extra screen Fusion seems a great solution.

regards,
kev

yes I think the macbook is probably ok for vmware, but as the iMAC has a huge screen I don't it will work.
icocking

Hi,
I use Parrells 5 on my iMac 24in with a 24in external monitor that works very well across both screens, it has a coherance mode that allows the windows to be dragged across all screens with no problem, I was using VM Fusion but found it a bit buggy, (could have been any number of reasons and may run ok on other setups) and so changed to Parrells 5 which seems to be more stable.
Hope this helps,

Ian

Return to “General discussion”