Check my fat finger please

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:27 pm
The problem I have with pen & paper, firstly, it takes half-an-hour to find a pen
That's the problem :)
I was hunting for a pencil myself the other day and found this one.... google says the last time a telegram was sent was in 1981 ! For the youngsters, a 'telegram' was a text message delivered by a lad in a smart uniform :) I think it's from the first place I did some coding for, jeez time flys .
20200810_154413.jpg
I received a telegram in 1994 or thereabouts, in the form of a printed letter. I was living in a bedsit without a phone so it was the only way anyone could contact me in an emergency. I feel really proud to have received one. :D
Jukebox

Before the fax we used a machine we called the Scandex - the sender wrapped the document around a cylinder and dialled the recipient's number where they would have some special paper wrapped around their own cylinder and at the same moment both would spin and at one end an optical reader would traverse slowly along the cylinder and at the other a nozzle traversed in a similar manner and would spit out some special ink onto the blank paper. This usually meant both sender and recipient were also in contact on another line - with the usual "ok i'm ready" etc and the frequent "oh no, the paper wasn't in properly- just let me get another sheet and have another go" etc. Of course only the trained could use it and only typists could type - everybody seemed to have a job in those days.
Derek27

You can't beat the old pigeon. :)
Euler

I remember in the late 80's phoning in advertisements to a magazine. Yes we we want right page, top right corner. Main header should be centred, bold and the font size...... When we got a fax it was a huge leap forward!

I make constant notes now but on an iPad and that can convert to text if needed. But I like to scribble and make notes. The iPad is perfect for rearranging them into some sense and I also transcribe when I'm out for a walk. How times have changed!
Jukebox

The only the fastest girls in the typing pool got to join the elite in the Telex room.

Return to “General discussion”