Help please with adding a second monitor.

A place to discuss anything.
oscar123

Hi,

I know there have been plenty of threads on this, I have read through them, but being a computer novice they dont make much sense too me!

I would be very grateful if anybody could explain adding a second monitor to me as if I were a 5 year old child(who would probably know more about computers than I do anyway!).

Firstly, this is what I want to achieve. I want two screens side by side, one showing bet angel, and the second for general internet use (showing betfair website/racingpost etc).

I currently have one moitor. On the back of my PC tower where it is plugged in, there is only one connection point, it has a TV icon next to it. There doesnt seem to be any room for a second monitor.

Further up the tower block, there are too smaller connection points, side by side, but going vertical. I tried to fit my monitor into one of these, but it was the wrong size. The icon next to them is two circles on top of one another. Are these ports for sound? And do these have nothing to do with monitors?

Assuming that these two empty ports are for sound not visuals, does this mean I have to buy a new video card to add a second monitor?

I have been looking on the internet,and found some " USB 2.0 to Widescreen SVGA Adapters". Apparantley these devices allow me to add a monitor without adding a new card. However, reading the reviews of these devices, it keeps stating that speed and lagging is an issue. Given that I will be trading, is getting one of these USB devices not an option?

If that is the case. Could somebody please point me in the direction of what sort of card I need,where I can get one, where I can find out about installing them, and what sort of monitors work with them? For example, will I need to buy two brand new identical monitors, or can I keep this one and just add one more?

Apologies for the long post and hundreds of questions, but any help would be gladly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
oscar123

Thanks for the link.

Can anybody help with the USB bit? Is this too slow for trading?

Looks like I may have to buy a new card and two new monitors to match it.
ledge36935

EBAY .. 220520181627 ... about 25 quid and if it doesnt do the trick just relist it but theyve sold a few so would think it would be ok , i just run another copy of bet angel on my laptop saves the hassle.
gutuami

I'd say go for the cheapest dual head video card if you want to get the best response time on your monitors [with resolutions up to 2560x1600] and 'save' some money. Usb to svga cannot compete with that.
oscar123

For anybody who is interested, I decided to try out the USB option, and for my requirements it works fine.

It just basically allows me to look at other internet pages on one screen without having to minimize my bet angel screen.

So instead of getting the nasty shock of a huge red when I switch back from checking my email, I can watch it happen in real time!!
ledge36935

Hi oscar123 , can i ask where you got it from as there are lots of different types , thats all i need too just an extra screen so i can bet on greyhounds/horses simultaneuosly without going back and forth as im not primarily a trader.
oscar123

The one I got was a "StarTech.com USB 2.0 to VGA Display Adapter".

I got it off amazon through one of the sellers one their marketplace.

I got the monitor off there too. There is a little bit of a lag, but it does what I need it to.

Was also very easy to install as I didnt fancy having to take the back off my computer and play about with it.
ledge36935

thanks , thats useful

Return to “General discussion”