Is it worth having two separate broadband connections ?

A place to discuss anything.
Morph

Hi All,

I currently have broadband from both sky and virgin (cable) so that if one fails, I can still trade.

I may have to move my trading to a location where there is no Virgin cable availability. I know that Openreach (BT) do the final connection for everybody who connects via the telephone network but I understand that some suppliers have their own equipment in the BT exchange.

I am wondering if it is worth getting two lines in from different suppliers (eg TalkTalk and BT) to try and get at least an element of the resilience I currently enjoy.

Any advice or experience much appreciated.
WallaseyWayne

Hi
I currently have 2 Broadband connections; 1 sky and one with bethere internet, the bethere connection I have to say is excellent its very fast and very reliable (touch wood) I would recommend it as your main phone line connection and possibly have a cheap back up connection, though obviously you would need a second phone line installed.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

We would recommended to get mobile broadband and a laptop. If you do this then if your main connection fails, whether it be a power outage or a loss of broadband you have a backup that will almost certainly work. If you had an severe outage at the exchange for example, two broadband connections to the same exchange will be of little use.
Morph

Hi Guys,

Thank You for taking the time to reply.

I agree with the 3g solution as a superior back-up to a second broadband. I am "dongled up",but I don't see it necessarily as an "either or" situation.

I agree that many broadband failures would indeed cause outage of a different supplier's broadband. However, many suppliers are now putting their own terminating equipment in BT exchanges and I suspect that many outages would be caused beyond this point of termination.I guess the metric I am looking for is what percentage of broadband outages at a given exchange are common to all suppliers within that exchange.Any telecom engineers out there?

I know I am probably being paranoid but I just don't fancy trying to trade Gold Cup day on 3g.
Morph

Hi Guys,

Thank You for taking the time to reply.

I agree with the 3g solution as a superior back-up to a second broadband. I am "dongled up",but I don't see it necessarily as an "either or" situation.

I agree that many broadband failures would indeed cause outage of a different supplier's broadband. However, many suppliers are now putting their own terminating equipment in BT exchanges and I suspect that many outages would be caused beyond this point of termination.I guess the metric I am looking for is what percentage of broadband outages at a given exchange are common to all suppliers within that exchange.Any telecom engineers out there?

I know I am probably being paranoid but I just don't fancy trying to trade Gold Cup day on 3g.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Morph wrote:I know I am probably being paranoid but I just don't fancy trying to trade Gold Cup day on 3g.
If you have a VPS http://www.betangel.com/vps, trading from a 3G connection is perfectly viable.
Morph

Interesting suggestion BA.

If I can achieve a good connection on one line along with other users of the same bandwidth, then VPS will certainly be worth considering instead of another broadband.

Please can you let me know the maximum screen resolution/screens that can be driven by VPS?

Is there a minimum contract term or are there any trial options?

As you mention it is useable on an i-phone I guess it should be even better on an i-pad. I assume you only need a windows pc for initial set-up. Is this correct?

Thank you for your fast response by the way. 5am??
Must have been some juicy Aussie racing !
lilgreenback

Hi,

In some ways it would depend where you live if you are in an urban area then it is not too much of a problem I would think.

How many times has your power gone off recently, I know that the phone does not work on the power grid but I would argue that if you have had power cuts on a regular basis. In high wind, snow and bad weather then it can be an issue the correlation between the power and the phone being reliability of service.

I live in rural North Wales and it has been shocking in the past (no pun intended) we have even lost power and phone in mid summer on clear days (whats that about).

You could run a Uninteruptable Power Supply that would keep the mains on, but if the issue was with the ISP or the phone lines then a 3G dongle would be the back up you would need to be able to close a trade out or keep trading.

(what's 15 quid a month for that security not a lot and one FUBARed trade would be enough to wish you had one)

Where I live I can get 1 or 2 bars up not great but at least I can get online which is enough. Mind you I have to do upstairs and the signal is only on one side of the house

(Mad in only this country could come up with such a rubbish system and the PM wants to charge a tax on 2MB speed what a divi. At least when the Romans ran the country they built and maintained the roads all gone down hill since then :lol: )
andyfuller

I also live in a rural area and looked at building in some redundancy into my trading setup.

I looked at a uninterrupted power supply but soon realised this wasn't really worth it as I would need one for the router and one for the PC and it still wouldn't cover me for the phoneline going down.

So I went down the line of a 3G connection via '3' and a 3GB allowance.

I run the dongle on a netbook I purchased and have a copy of Bet Angel running on it on mode 1. I have Bet Angel loaded and the Market Selector window open and Bet Angel not refreshing. This means it doesn't use up my allowance and by using mode 1 I am covered for the API going down as well.

I have the Laptop plugged into the mains so that it is always fully charged.

Everyday I turn it all on and connect it up and everyday I turn it off after not using it at all. As with trading this requires discipline to do, day in day out and it not being any use at all. However, towards the end of last year I went through a period where my phoneline was dropping out. I was able to very quickly exit my positions and lose nothing. The thing is as with all contingency planning you hope you never need to use it but the day you do you need to immediately put that plan into practice. It is no good having a power outage and then having to load up the laptop and connect on the 3G as by then it will probably be to late and the horse will have hacked up and your money will have gone.

I was orginally paying £15 a month, though when my contract came up I rang them up and asked what they had to offer to keep me as a customer as there are plenty of other deals around. At first they offered me just a new dongle to which I said try again, then it was a new Dongle and they would knock a couple of quid off my bill. At this point I said I will tell you what I want, I want it half price, a new dongle, an extra 2 GB download allowance and just a 12 month new contract as I can get exactly the same else where. They quickly agreed to said deal :)

There are often very good deals around so it is worth keeping an eye out deals if you aren't in a rush to buy a plan.

The added bonus of a 3G dongle is that you can take it with you when you are going away or something (though be careful using it abroad), it can be handy when at an airport or when you are stuck in a hotel for something as you can get online.

I feel that if you are investing any decent amounts of money while trading a backup of a laptop and a dongle are essential tools of trading. As someone else said, if it saves you once it will have paid for itself many times over, not just in terms of the actual loss you would have incurred but also the ones you would have subsequently suffered when you were pi$$ed off for losing a large amount and it affecting your trading mindset.

Return to “General discussion”