Changes to Aus in-play legislation

A place to discuss anything.
grigsy12

A Productivity Commission report is due to be presented to the Australian Government in February recommending they repeal the ludicrous Internet Gambling Act, which could be the most exciting development for Australian Betfair/Bet Angel users.
The Act expressly prohibits anyone in Australia from using the Internet to place bets in-play (the exception being horse racing). You can use the phone to place bets, just not the net. Of course, this is not practical for trading. It was originally designed to prevent micro-betting but the wording captured Betfair trading by association.
I don't know how long it will take for the red tape to be cut through (this being a gambling subject, I would imagine they will not be busting a gut to put it through), but hopefully Australians might be able to trade in-play on the World Cup, Wimbledon, the Ashes, or at least the next Australian Open!
LeTiss

From a UK point of view, it would be great to end the ridiculous rule of having 2 separate wallets

You can bet on Aussie markets with fixed odds bookies as normal, but with Betfair it's a total joke

Also, Aussie sport markets offer great trading opportunities, but I often overlook them due to BA's set up of having to open a new window
grigsy12

Yeah, never thought about it from that angle. As the Act lays the burden of guilt with the suppliers of in-play facilities and not the punters, if there is no Act, there will no longer be a need for Betfair to segragate wallets. Big bonus all round. But particularly for us in Oz!

Return to “General discussion”