General discussion : RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
ShaunWhite
Posts: 3231
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 am

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 am

I had the same today Derek with a parcel. Booking anything later in the day is a nightmare. Try booking a doctor or your mot or a tradesmen after 9 and they think you're a lazy git.

I usually say I work shifts to keep things simple and it gets some sympathy, I did that the other day and was generously offered 10am! Gee thanks.

Derek27
Posts: 2271
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:10 am

I'd be lucky just to get through to my surgery, never mind getting an appointment. You have to phone in at 8am! :evil:

User avatar
Dublin_Flyer
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 am

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 am

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:39 am
Someone near us has got a lion !

They're a family that own a scrap yard and they've started a 'private zoo'. I don't trust them with safety or welfare tbh, they've always been wronguns. I was ok with the zebras and donkeys but a lion ffs! The dog won't go for a walk down that lane now and I don't blame it, shame though because it's nice.

It's about 1/2 mile away but at daybreak you can hear it roaring and it's really unnerving. It's doing it now, it's a really deep rumbling sound. I'm sure it's getting closer ! :?

I keep thinking of the Stanley Holloway monologue about The Lion and Albert (1932), a nice modern reference there for the youngsters.

https://youtu.be/Putw3by4-e8?t=42s
That's mad Shaun, about 15/20 years ago a guy in the next village over had a tiger cub he bought somewhere because......you could, and he was a bit mad. It was taken in by a former zookeeper who runs the national seal sanctuary and eventually went to a big cats home in San Diego.
http://www.brendanprice.com/ is the chap who got it from the mad fellow and took care until it went to its new home, you can see it on his homepage there.
A few years ago my friend started going out with the mad fellows daughter and she invited us down to see his pets. So there was a monkey of some kind, looked like a cross between a bad-ger and a sloth, a large garden shed full of massive tropical birds. Think parrot and you think of the little dude on a pirates shoulder, these were massive amazonian parrots, about a 4 foot wingspan! 3 huge Alsatian pups in the back garden too, eating a skinned calf of course. Wasn't a farm house/ big place either, it was the middle of a housing estate! Chap was definitely a candidate for the loony bin, no idea whatever happened to him.

User avatar
ShaunWhite
Posts: 3231
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 am

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:07 am

It's wrong on every possible level Dublin.

I feel for their zerbra, imagine sleeping next to the noises and smells of something you instinctivly know wants to rip your arse off. It doesn't know the lion is caged, it must be bricking it.

Derek27
Posts: 2271
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:45 pm

TV's packed up - reduced to watching on my tablet. :(

User avatar
Korattt
Posts: 1309
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:10 am
I'd be lucky just to get through to my surgery, never mind getting an appointment. You have to phone in at 8am! :evil:
two weeks waiting time to see a GP at my surgery, sometimes longer, it is nice though to make friends with all the diverse people who I meet when I actually do get to attend an appointment, when I was a kid you could phone in the morning, get there, be the only one in the waiting room get called & out in less than 20 mins

Derek27
Posts: 2271
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Korattt wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:10 am
I'd be lucky just to get through to my surgery, never mind getting an appointment. You have to phone in at 8am! :evil:
two weeks waiting time to see a GP at my surgery, sometimes longer, it is nice though to make friends with all the diverse people who I meet when I actually do get to attend an appointment, when I was a kid you could phone in the morning, get there, be the only one in the waiting room get called & out in less than 20 mins
My surgery insists you phone after 8am for an appointment on the day - no advanced bookings. Even if I was up at 8am, they're engaged until 8:20 and then they're fully booked.

You stand a better chance of winning the national lottery then getting an appointment!

User avatar
BetScalper
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:29 pm

My surgery now has 2 paramedics onsite who can deal with most things.

But when issuing prescriptions they still have to get a GP signature, which can take time if all the doctors are busy.

Can't remember the last time I actually saw a GP.

Brexit init. :)

User avatar
ShaunWhite
Posts: 3231
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 am

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 pm

Korattt wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm
when I was a kid you could phone in the morning, get there, be the only one in the waiting room get called & out in less than 20 mins
When I was a kid my mum would phone up and the doctor would visit on his rounds.

User avatar
Korattt
Posts: 1309
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:43 pm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 pm
Korattt wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm
when I was a kid you could phone in the morning, get there, be the only one in the waiting room get called & out in less than 20 mins
When I was a kid my mum would phone up and the doctor would visit on his rounds.
what were you doing when the doctor was busy with your mum, (sorry Shaun.. couldn’t resist that, just a joke mate)

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests