RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

I had the same today Derek with a parcel. Booking anything later in the day is a nightmare. Try booking a doctor or your mot or a tradesmen after 9 and they think you're a lazy git.

I usually say I work shifts to keep things simple and it gets some sympathy, I did that the other day and was generously offered 10am! Gee thanks.
Derek27

I'd be lucky just to get through to my surgery, never mind getting an appointment. You have to phone in at 8am! :evil:
Dublin_Flyer

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:39 am
Someone near us has got a lion !

They're a family that own a scrap yard and they've started a 'private zoo'. I don't trust them with safety or welfare tbh, they've always been wronguns. I was ok with the zebras and donkeys but a lion ffs! The dog won't go for a walk down that lane now and I don't blame it, shame though because it's nice.

It's about 1/2 mile away but at daybreak you can hear it roaring and it's really unnerving. It's doing it now, it's a really deep rumbling sound. I'm sure it's getting closer ! :?

I keep thinking of the Stanley Holloway monologue about The Lion and Albert (1932), a nice modern reference there for the youngsters.

https://youtu.be/Putw3by4-e8?t=42s
That's mad Shaun, about 15/20 years ago a guy in the next village over had a tiger cub he bought somewhere because......you could, and he was a bit mad. It was taken in by a former zookeeper who runs the national seal sanctuary and eventually went to a big cats home in San Diego.
http://www.brendanprice.com/ is the chap who got it from the mad fellow and took care until it went to its new home, you can see it on his homepage there.
A few years ago my friend started going out with the mad fellows daughter and she invited us down to see his pets. So there was a monkey of some kind, looked like a cross between a bad-ger and a sloth, a large garden shed full of massive tropical birds. Think parrot and you think of the little dude on a pirates shoulder, these were massive amazonian parrots, about a 4 foot wingspan! 3 huge Alsatian pups in the back garden too, eating a skinned calf of course. Wasn't a farm house/ big place either, it was the middle of a housing estate! Chap was definitely a candidate for the loony bin, no idea whatever happened to him.
ShaunWhite

It's wrong on every possible level Dublin.

I feel for their zerbra, imagine sleeping next to the noises and smells of something you instinctivly know wants to rip your arse off. It doesn't know the lion is caged, it must be bricking it.
Derek27

TV's packed up - reduced to watching on my tablet. :(
Korattt

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:10 am
I'd be lucky just to get through to my surgery, never mind getting an appointment. You have to phone in at 8am! :evil:
two weeks waiting time to see a GP at my surgery, sometimes longer, it is nice though to make friends with all the diverse people who I meet when I actually do get to attend an appointment, when I was a kid you could phone in the morning, get there, be the only one in the waiting room get called & out in less than 20 mins
Derek27

Korattt wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:10 am
two weeks waiting time to see a GP at my surgery, sometimes longer, it is nice though to make friends with all the diverse people who I meet when I actually do get to attend an appointment, when I was a kid you could phone in the morning, get there, be the only one in the waiting room get called & out in less than 20 mins
My surgery insists you phone after 8am for an appointment on the day - no advanced bookings. Even if I was up at 8am, they're engaged until 8:20 and then they're fully booked.

You stand a better chance of winning the national lottery then getting an appointment!
BetScalper

My surgery now has 2 paramedics onsite who can deal with most things.

But when issuing prescriptions they still have to get a GP signature, which can take time if all the doctors are busy.

Can't remember the last time I actually saw a GP.

Brexit init. :)
ShaunWhite

Korattt wrote:
when I was a kid you could phone in the morning, get there, be the only one in the waiting room get called & out in less than 20 mins
When I was a kid my mum would phone up and the doctor would visit on his rounds.
Korattt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 pm
Korattt wrote:
when I was a kid you could phone in the morning, get there, be the only one in the waiting room get called & out in less than 20 mins
When I was a kid my mum would phone up and the doctor would visit on his rounds.
what were you doing when the doctor was busy with your mum, (sorry Shaun.. couldn’t resist that, just a joke mate)
Kafkaesque

Alright, you guys have peaked my curiousity as a non-UK resident.....what exactly is a "surgery"? I know the word, but what is it in this context compared to the GP? Too generic a word for Google to be much help :)
Jukebox

We call the place our GP or Dentist works from a 'surgery'
Kafkaesque

Jukebox wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 pm
We call the place our GP or Dentist works from a 'surgery'
Okay, that makes sense, thanks. I got the sense from some of the comments that it was a different place than the GP's. which is what threw me.

Don't mean this as a dig at England/UK, as I love the place like a second home, but these comments along with what I hear from English friends and read in the (online) papers makes me glad to be living in semi-communistic Denmark. Yeah, we pay taxes through the nose, but whenever anyone in my family or among friends have needed health care, it's always been above and beyond!
Derek27

I'd like to flipping kill the idiot who came up with the idea of passing into law, that all websites have to request permission to store cookies!!!

What's the flipping point??? You can't use the WWW without allowing cookies!

I've just cleared my cookie cache and now I have to go through it all over again with each site I visit. :evil:
mobile

you've done your dosh if you got a tosh-iba.laptop.
Just discovered that they have walked away from any nonbusiness customers in 2016.
not only have they walked away, but they are giving you two fingers as they depart.
Just want a simple replacement part. CPU cooling fan.
Have spent the past five days trying to get a result.
If you go onto their website it just walks you round in circles.
Their Toshiba part site will load the shopping cart but won't complete.
Click on contact us, guess what comes up. Page not found.
any phone contact numbers are for business users only.
Finally bullied my way onto a connection with them.
Reply. Not my department, but I can try and get a message to IT.
Not holding my breath.

Return to “General discussion”