A place to discuss anything.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:54 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:29 pm
Why does it take 5 flipping weeks just to get a £3.50 lighter from Amazon? Are they constructing it specially fo me? :x
Perhaps because margin on £3.50 is minimal. Barely worth someone's effort to pick/pack it. Order a pair of running shoes and they can be there in days, because the margin is handsome (well, judging by their awful durability these days).
They shouldn't sell it if they're too flipping lazy to pack it. I actually thought the 3rd of August was in a few days time when I purchased. Now I've got to wait a whole month before I can light a cigarette. ;)

Are drop shippers selling on Amazon?
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:54 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:29 pm
Why does it take 5 flipping weeks just to get a £3.50 lighter from Amazon? Are they constructing it specially fo me? :x
Perhaps because margin on £3.50 is minimal. Barely worth someone's effort to pick/pack it. Order a pair of running shoes and they can be there in days, because the margin is handsome (well, judging by their awful durability these days).
They shouldn't sell it if they're too flipping lazy to pack it. I actually thought the 3rd of August was in a few days time when I purchased. Now I've got to wait a whole month before I can light a cigarette. ;)
Well, I've only ever smoked one cigarette. Been offered many, including exotic ones, but its never appealed to me.
Stick a beer in hand or glass of wine and you'll have my ear all night.
And just to round off, beware the friendly Scot clutching a shot glass and whisky bottle.
If you allow yourself to submerge into the Bon Homie, you're lost :-).
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:02 pm
I'd guess so (had to look up the term) but for £3.50 they'd have to sell a lot! I've ordered a windproof ashtray for £1.67 as well. :D
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:27 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
I'd guess so (had to look up the term) but for £3.50 they'd have to sell a lot! I've ordered a windproof ashtray for £1.67 as well. :D
The process was highlighted to me because a friend of mine has been attempting to do it for years. As soon I looked into it I noticed them everywhere. My mates orders can take up to 7 weeks to arrive from China AFTER he's sold the product. I do my best to avoid them but the twats are getting smarter. It used to be as easy as not buying anything that was being delivered direct from China, now they have their business addresses in the UK which gives the false pretence that this is where the product is coming from. Needless to say, it pisses me off massively.
jamesedwards

Amazon seem to be deliberately lengthening lead time for non-Prime customers since the Covid19 supply chain issues. Been a couple of items when I've gone to buy something and been given an estimated time of 4 to 5 weeks, but when I buy on my good lady's Prime account they can get it to her next day as usual.
Derek27

Back in the late 70s and early 80s waiting 28 days for delivery was standard. In those days administration was done on paper or a PC with 160K 5.25 inch floppy disks. No excuse for it in this day and age.
firlandsfarm

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:35 pm
... now they have their business addresses in the UK which gives the false pretence that this is where the product is coming from. Needless to say, it pisses me off massively.
You can spot them on eBay because although they show the Item as being in the UK if the delivery is weeks away you know it's coming from China either directly or via their UK 'business address' which is probably someone's aunt! :) Some UK people run their business by spotting stuff that most people want quickly, buying in bulk from China then when they have the stuff posting it on eBay/Amazon for next day delivery (and disguising that it's from China because some people don't trust Chinese products … a bit like 'made in Hong Kong' when I was a kid).
firlandsfarm

jamesg46 wrote:
Amazon have redesigned drop shipping. Many sellers use Amazon as their virtual shop with Amazon being the physical shop. Nowadays you go to somewhere like Alibaba and order goods in bulk and give them the address of an Amazon warehouse for delivery where you have rented space and services. The goods are delivered to Amazon who stack and store them. You post your shop/advert on Amazon. A purchase is made, Amazon collect the money, pack and post the purchased goods direct to the purchaser, take their cut and send you the net proceeds. So there you are, your only involvement is researching a product that you can make a margin on reselling and placing a bulk order. That's it, you don't even need to market it, it will sell itself if you have chosen the right product that people want and price it competitively. This means that Amazon can be the largest shop in the world and never spend a penny on stock in fact as a business model they are warehouse and distribution managers.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:13 am
… a bit like 'made in Hong Kong' when I was a kid).
When I was a kid I thought 'Made in Hong Kong' signified a mark of quality. Why else would they brag about it? :lol:
Trader Pat

Don't knock Made in Hong Kong...
Some of the best movies in history had that description :)
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 am
Don't knock Made in Hong Kong...
Some of the best movies in history had that description :)
I wouldn't knock anything that's made in Hong Kong ....... but I would knock these girls. :D
936hooters_01_resize-640x380.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Bin men refused to empty my bin because it was too heavy!! It only had one rubble bag of garden soil. If I can lift it into the bin manually and place the bin at the curbside, it's on wheels and they got a flipping machine to do the rest of the lifting. :x
ShaunWhite

We pay an extra £1/wk to have a 'green' bin for garden waste, but you can't dump soil in that either. You should fill your pockets with it when you go to the shops and drop it out of your trouser legs like they did in The Great Escape.
Jukebox

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:43 pm
We pay an extra £1/wk to have a 'green' bin for garden waste, but you can't dump soil in that either. You should fill your pockets with it when you go to the shops and drop it out of your trouser legs like they did in The Great Escape.
heaven forbid we should be allowed to send actual soil to landfill
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:43 pm
Yeah, looked into that and discovered they won't take soil. With just two bags to get rid of, I didn't want to ask a friend to drive me down the dump during the C19 crisis. I'll just have to break it into smaller parts, but I shouldn't have left that bag open and out in the rain. :oops:

Return to “General discussion”