RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
trader44

" The problem is, when you trade 24/7, it's a pain in the arse whatever time someone wants to see you."

had to laugh at this derek .if someone tries to arrange something with myself the first thought is i wonder what time the first race is and have a sly look at the racing post :D also every appointment i make is before dinnertime . a traders life is very different to other careers
Derek27

When I was a bettor and studied racing closely, absolutely nothing would get between me and a group 3 race. As a trader and without any real interest or excitement in watching the races, I can sometimes fair better at the lesser meetings when a big one's on, so it's not as bad as it used to be having to miss a big meeting.
Derek27

Absolute scumbag! I know he probably had his pennies taken away from him when he was little but I'll be reporting him to Betfair, hopefully they'll confiscate his pennies and close his account.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Just updated Office 365. New design for Outlook Calendar appointment forms looks like something produced with Frontpage Express back in the nineties. And the delete button is now where the save and close button used to be. :evil:
Kai

How the hell do you deal with toxic sarcastic people that you're sort of stuck with in your life?!?!?!? A genuine question to the older guys out here :)

Isn't sarcasm just hostility disguised as humor? I understand people like using it to hide their true feelings/flaws/envy/whatever and I know exactly what their issues are but how are you supposed to deal with someone that constantly tries to use sarcasm to abuse your good nature and mock you just because you're doing good? If clearing the air doesn't work and they're unable the change this behavior. I mean, I could easily stoop to that level and crush these people with far better "jokes" but I just don't have it in me to stomp all over someone because I'm not a massive a**hole and don't want to be one either, and that would just make the relationship that much more toxic. Should you give up on such people in your life or no?
to75ne

same as you would deal with anyone who really piss's you off, give em a slap, if they persist, then a good kicking.
Jukebox

With negative sarcasm, either ignore it or just respond as if it was meant sincerely.
greenmark

Sarcasm is only acceptable in a close relationship (and even then shoud be used with finesse so as not to cause offence).
Outside of that its the lowest of humours. I believe its ultimately destructive to any but the strongest relationships.
Derek27

I like sarcasm that's genuinely humorous. If people get nasty or hostile towards you, just take the view that it's their loss, not yours. Ultimately, they won't benefit by closing their circle of friends.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:06 pm
I like sarcasm that's genuinely humorous. If people get nasty or hostile towards you, just take the view that it's their loss, not yours. Ultimately, they won't benefit by closing their circle of friends.
Blimey. Thats really thought provoking. But I still argue that sarcasm can enflame and provoke. Then again, my arguments would probably get my face filled in in some of my previous haunts.
ShaunWhite

Kai, pity them. The world is full of people who are either sarcastic, hateful, bitter, violent or stupid (or all of the above) and their lives are often dysfunctional, loveless and unfulfilled because of it. You're destined for greater things I'm sure and theyll be a distant memory someday, still finding people to bring down rather than elevating themselves. You say you're stuck with them so I assume it's family, well 'family' is just an accident of birth and if they're not your kind of people then they can feature as much or as little as you choose once you've found your own path.
jamesg46

Kai wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:44 pm
How the hell do you deal with toxic sarcastic people that you're sort of stuck with in your life?!?!?!? A genuine question to the older guys out here :)

Isn't sarcasm just hostility disguised as humor? I understand people like using it to hide their true feelings/flaws/envy/whatever and I know exactly what their issues are but how are you supposed to deal with someone that constantly tries to use sarcasm to abuse your good nature and mock you just because you're doing good? If clearing the air doesn't work and they're unable the change this behavior. I mean, I could easily stoop to that level and crush these people with far better "jokes" but I just don't have it in me to stomp all over someone because I'm not a massive a**hole and don't want to be one either, and that would just make the relationship that much more toxic. Should you give up on such people in your life or no?
If you're at the point where you're thinking about their actions, then it will be having a negative impact on your emotions.. on the flip side it obviously makes them feel powerful or winning at situations that involve you. The reality is, people like that only stop when they get beat at their own game, & like you say, you could easily do that... from what I've taken from your post, you're simply not that person regardless. Stick your head up & follow your plan in life... if it gets to the point that it doesn't involve said people then good riddance. All the best to you!
Kai

Thanks for the replies guys. That article makes me wonder how often I've used sarcasm in a bad way without realizing it, will have to be mindful of that in the future. I guess sarcasm really is a convenient way to sucker punch people and smile while doing it, it's just plain cowardice when people use it wrong like that, not everyone has the wit to pull off a Chandler (from Friends). It's just a damn shame when you have a lot in common with someone and there's potential for a great relationship but their personality makes that a near impossible task. Just goes to show how difficult it is to find like-minded people in your life that share the same values, although my standards for others are probably a bit high so I often get disappointed. But then again whenever I consider lowering them I think to myself, how hard is it to be a decent human being? It really shouldn't be too difficult but it seems damn near impossible for some people.
Derek27

Getting flipping sick of the security hurdles and hoops you have to jump through just to carry out a banking transaction without any option to switch them off. Just set up three standing orders, don't have much money in the account I use for bill payments - had to enter my password six times and a text code three times, one for each standing order.

If I was a fraudster, I've obviously got the victims password and phone, so what's the flipping point???
Derek27

Now I've got to find a mountain or hill out of that. :evil:
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”