RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Kai

With the amount of misadventures that you're having Derek when doing everyday things like grocery shopping and stuff, you should have your own show.

NGL I'd probably watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQjAd-1m_s

He reminds me of you now, you seem like the real life version of Larry :mrgreen:
greenmark

Fabulous clip.
Boy oh boy have I been in that scenario since masks in supermarkets where introduced.
People seem to think a wafer thin mask is a forcefield.
There's me still skirting around people at 1 metre.
There's them standing for f***ing ages picking up and putting down packs of meat, presumably based on sell by dates and meandering up and down aisles.
Surely, just have a list, get in, get out. This isn't the time for browsing like you have no brain!!!!!!
Sorry, my brain just exploded!
trader44

Great show curb your enthusiasm the guy has no filter and show how ridiculous most situations are .well worth watching :D
Derek27

When or what channel is it on? I've never heard of it before.
sionascaig

greenmark wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:30 pm
Fabulous clip.
Boy oh boy have I been in that scenario since masks in supermarkets where introduced.
There's them standing for f***ing ages picking up and putting down packs of meat, presumably based on sell by dates and meandering up and down aisles.
Surely, just have a list, get in, get out. This isn't the time for browsing like you have no brain!!!!!!
Thats why you need one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2oLFKYNInQ
greenmark

sionascaig wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:30 pm
Fabulous clip.
Thats why you need one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2oLFKYNInQ
That's funny.
Thanks, made me chortle. And was thought provoking to boot. But better not get into the politics of it. :-). Although I'm always happy to debate.
Kai

Derek27

The first series is on Sky Comedy this week, I think I'll record it and see what it's like. In the meantime, I'll shortly be on my way to the supermarket for my entertainment. :)
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:51 pm
The first series is on Sky Comedy this week, I think I'll record it and see what it's like. In the meantime, I'll shortly be on my way to the supermarket for my entertainment. :)
Or you could record your trip to the supermarket instead for our entertainment? ;)

Just a random thought, you could make your own series on Youtube like people do, would probably get a million subscribers in a week :)
Derek27

I recorded the first series of CYE on my VM box and somehow ended up with 30Rock instead - I watched a whole episode before I realized!

There's a really hot bird in it though, Katrina Bowden. :D
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:29 pm
I recorded the first series of CYE on my VM box and somehow ended up with 30Rock instead - I watched a whole episode before I realized!

How can you mistake 30 Rock for CYE?! :shock:

I thought you were cultured Derek!! :D
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:34 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:29 pm

How can you mistake 30 Rock for CYE?! :shock:

I thought you were cultured Derek!! :D
I:ve never seen either of them. American comedy has never been high on my list.
weemac

My non tech-savvy mother asked me to find an email address for the French pension service where she has a long-standing pension and where they keep getting her name wrong. So I accessed the website, saw some icons about contacting them including Twitter, Facebook and a little white envelope icon which appeared to be an email link. I clicked the little white envelope in order to see what email address would appear. So far, so good.

But who could have imagined that performing such an innocent action would directly lead, 12 hours later, to an entirely unwanted factory re-install of Windows on my laptop with the apparent resultant loss of every file I've ever had on my computer? You wouldn't believe it possible, but it happened.

That aesthetically pleasing little white envelope icon forces open (full-page) Microsoft's email service which I don't use, so I was forced to create an account, which I then couldn't use due to an endless issue of forgotten and incorrect passwords, not to mention that the email address I wanted was at no time visible (in fact the address line was always empty and the email app took up all visible space on my screen, leaving me unable even to quit it!), which led to me having to create a new User profile on my PC, which led the next morning to windows thinking I had a brand new laptop, resulting in a fresh install of windows without asking my permission at any point, which wiped out all my life's work, which then led to me having to use my phone to access the internet to ask google to ask Youtube how to re-create user profiles, delete faulty accounts and get back to where I was.

Why do these tech goliaths get away with treating us like imbecilic children incapable of deciding for ourselves what simple task we'd like a computer to perform without buying in (often at great expense) to every whim they seem to think we need? And why do basic systems, which were created to make our lives simpler, actually make them 10 times more complicated? What's the logical endgame? Just speak into your belly button and delegate every single part of your life to an already overblown, expensive, monolithic, controlling, non-co-operative, uncaring, all powerful, unresponsive and insidiously threatening so-called "technology" corporation? When that day comes you had better already be bowing the knee to Twitter, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple et al, or you just might end up hungry and on the streets. In fact, just microchip us all now and get it over with. It's coming anyway.

And all this from a little white envelope icon.

Oh, and the French pension system? I still don't know their email address, but they helpfully note that it takes them 6 months to change your name on a certificate if they get it wrong.

Vive la France!!
Derek27

Bit late now but keep a disk image (a carbon copy) of your system volume on another partition, hard drive or USB memory stick. Then you can quickly restore your system in half-an-hour or so.

Another tip, never keep your data on the system volume, have it in a separate partition. Those arseholes at Microsoft seem to think they need to provide us with folders for pictures, videos, documents, etc. as if we're incapable of organising ourselves but it's actually a bad idea. What idiot comes back from the supermarket and chucks all his tinned, fresh and frozen food in a cupboard labeled shopping?

Return to “General discussion”