RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Kafkaesque

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:12 pm
flipping pissed off with the BBC weather app. Sunshine all day was forecast at lunch time today!

How the fuck could they not notice a 300 mile wide band of cloud heading towards East Anglia???
Pretty much everyone I know (who needs forecasts for more than a trivial check) and myself swear by www.yr.no

Haven't got the slighest if it's actually the best service anymore, but it was widely considered so at one point at least.
Last edited by Kafkaesque on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

bennyboy351 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:46 pm
Derek27 wrote:
flipping pissed off with the BBC weather app. Sunshine all day was forecast at lunch time today!

How the fuck could they not notice a 300 mile wide band of cloud heading towards East Anglia???
Remember the movie 'The Fog?' :-)
Co-incidentally that's the last film I watched, the 1980 version just a few weeks ago. As you can imagine I don't get much time to watch films and my TV's broke, but I've already ranted about that.

Come to think of it, it's about a year since my last successful past post bet. If the film's anything to go by it may be time for the victim of my immoral activities to extract revenge. :o
mobile

Toshiba follow-up.
Took to Twitter, which I've never used before.
Sent them a suitably abusive tweet.
Purely for the satisfaction of other people being able to read about how bad news they are.
Looked at their Twitter feed and there was nothing there.
Did you know that no tweets appear unless they reply to them.
Supposedly it's to prevent spam. Yeah right.
Now I understand why all companies Twitter accounts are just full of sweetness and light.
One result Is that their part site is now restarted and I was able to order.
The most galling thing about my treatment is that even if they didn't want to reply on Twitter.
They have my email address and could have sent a simple response.
Receive nothing to date
Derek27

Kafkaesque wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:02 pm
Pretty much everyone I know (who needs forecasts for more than a trivial check) and myself swear by yr.no

Haven't got the slighest if it's actually the best service anymore, but it was widely considered so at one point at least.
Thanks K, but the link's not working. :)
Kafkaesque

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 pm
Co-incidentally that's the last film I watched, the 1980 version just a few weeks ago. As you can imagine I don't get much time to watch films and my TV's broke, but I've already ranted about that.

Come to think of it, it's about a year since my last successful past post bet. If the film's anything to go by it may be time for the victim of my immoral activities to extract revenge. :o
Just go next door, mate. Surely she owes a movie screening, with you TV broken, given you helped her out with her broken freezer. And nope, I'll never forget that story/rant; just too good :lol:
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Pretty much everyone I know (who needs forecasts for more than a trivial check) and myself swear by yr.no

Weird one, couldn't say if it's a geo-lock and they only Scandi's to view the site.
Kafkaesque

mobile wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 pm
Toshiba follow-up.
Took to Twitter, which I've never used before.
Sent them a suitably abusive tweet.
Purely for the satisfaction of other people being able to read about how bad news they are.
Looked at their Twitter feed and there was nothing there.
Did you know that no tweets appear unless they reply to them.
Supposedly it's to prevent spam. Yeah right.
Now I understand why all companies Twitter accounts are just full of sweetness and light.
One result Is that their part site is now restarted and I was able to order.
The most galling thing about my treatment is that even if they didn't want to reply on Twitter.
They have my email address and could have sent a simple response.
Receive nothing to date
Some companies maybe, but Betfair's CS is packed with complaining punters (and people wanting a price on weird stuff, where they're just handing money to BF with the price, they're given).

As for solving it, I'll second Seahorse's comment, that you're likely better off going via the retailer, especially if Toshiba has gone completely B2B. Especially if you've still got a receipt. Better chance of them taking a call from a large retailer than you.
Derek27

Kafkaesque wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm
Just go next door, mate. Surely she owes a movie screening, with you TV broken, given you helped her out with her broken freezer. And nope, I'll never forget that story/rant; just too good :lol:
I'm off to London tomorrow for a few days. She'll be looking after my cat, and hopefully cleaning up any vomit!
foxwood

Derek27 wrote:
Kafkaesque wrote:

Try https://www.yr.no/?spr=eng also https://www.netweather.tv pretty good
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I heard that app being talked about on More or Less. The rain %ages relate to the preceding hour not the one you'd expect. So if you want to know the chance of rain at 3:10 you look at the 4pm figure not the 3pm figure as most people would assume.
Something many people don't realise, and this applies I think to most weather forecasts; the maximum temperature for Monday refers to the maximum temperature for Monday (midnight to midnight), as you would expect. The minimum temperature for Monday, bizarrely, actually refers to the minimum temperature for Tuesday, midnight to midnight!

The reason for this is that the minimum temperature is really suppose to reflect the night time temperature, which usually occurs around dawn the next day. When a warm front sweeps in from the west and causes the temperatures to rise over night and buck the trend, you have a maximum equal to the minimum, effectively telling you what the temperature is predicted to be at midnight, but nothing more!
ShaunWhite

Kafkaesque wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:48 pm
As for solving it, I'll second Seahorse's comment, that you're likely better off going via the retailer.
The ONLY solution is going to the retailer. This idea that you should go to the manufacturers is purely a diversionary tactic. In order for a contract to have been breached (ie faulty goods supplied) you have to first establish a legal relationship. That legal relationship only exists between you and the retailer. I know this as fact because I had my info checked by a lawyer friend before I did my bit outside Currys, because you can't be riteous and indignant if you're wrong.

Similar story with guarantees. For instance a TV is expected to last a min of 5 yrs regardless of the 1yr they tell you about and regardless of having an original receipt. (bank transaction info is good enough). Ditto fridges. The legal definition is such that it must last as long as 'a reasonable person' would expect. In Scotland I think it's 7yrs. If you still have no joy then file a case at the small claims court, they always settle without a hearing as it costs them more in legal fees than defending it.
Derek27

foxwood wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Kafkaesque wrote:

Try https://www.yr.no/?spr=eng also https://www.netweather.tv pretty good
Thanks foxwood, that link works.
Derek27

Don't know how the rant thread managed to slip down to the bottom of the second page.

I'm beginning to wish we never went digital. Wanted to watch the BBC news channel at 2 O'Clock on my mum's TV. Five minutes to figure out how to get the DTV menu up, another five minutes to find the right channel number, then I get 'loading interactive service' ???

By then I thought I've missed the main news and gave up. There was a time when we just had a few channels but at least when you switched the flipping TV on it would appear instantly (or maybe 20 seconds for the CRT to warm up), and it was just a case of pressing button 1-5!
Jukebox

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:08 am
There was a time when we just had a few channels but at least when you switched the flipping TV on it would appear instantly (or maybe 20 seconds for the CRT to warm up), and it was just a case of pressing button 1-5!
....and get your brother to hold the aerial in just the right position while you twiddle the horizontal and vertical holds
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:08 am
and it was just a case of pressing button 1-5!
1- 5 ? 5!! That's fancy

Ours in the front room went up to 3, and when we got it the telly handed down to me had a dial like a radio!

Best thing is with dial tuning is you always got somewhere between sound<-sound & picture->picure. Never just digial interferrence that means you get nothing at all.
Kafkaesque

Thanks guys, I feel so young now ;)

Return to “General discussion”