Betfair Accounts being restricted, closed and suspended

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
max_usted

jimibt wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:59 pm
Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:36 pm
Even if you kick at random, 50% will go in. Unless you are England then the psychology takes precedent over the actual kicking.
let's not even mention my national team!! oh flower of..... (shhhh)
It'd be nice if we could ever get to the stage of a tournament at which penalty kicks become an option. We might be the best PK shoot-out team in the world, but we'll never find out sadly.
jimibt

max_usted wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:15 pm
jimibt wrote:
Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:36 pm
Even if you kick at random, 50% will go in. Unless you are England then the psychology takes precedent over the actual kicking.
It'd be nice if we could ever get to the stage of a tournament at which penalty kicks become an option. We might be the best PK shoot-out team in the world, but we'll never find out sadly.
max - one day!! :D. btw, saw you mention dumfries a few weeks back. located to just outside newton stewart from london (via glasgow) 15 yrs ago... lovliest part of the world imaginable.
max_usted

jimibt wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:17 pm
max_usted wrote:
jimibt wrote:

max - one day!! :D. btw, saw you mention dumfries a few weeks back. located to just outside newton stewart from london (via glasgow) 15 yrs ago... lovliest part of the world imaginable.
Amazing round there!... and round D&G in general, especially at this time of year. Newton Stewart and then down towards Wigtown is beautiful, feels like the end of the world. I'm (off and on) based towards Kippford on the coast - so pretty nice also (but a bit more touristy).
jimibt

max_usted wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:49 pm
jimibt wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:17 pm
max_usted wrote:

Amazing round there!... and round D&G in general, especially at this time of year. Newton Stewart and then down towards Wigtown is beautiful, feels like the end of the world. I'm (off and on) based towards Kippford on the coast - so pretty nice also (but a bit more touristy).
yeah, i was working remotely for ITV when we first moved up here. Took about 2 years before I lost the initial feeling every morning that I was actually on holiday :). Reality well and truly embedded now. Kippford is lovely. In general, the left dogleg off the M74 is a well kept secret ;)
keldix

Hello,
I received an email from Betfair today saying......

With regret, we have restricted your Betfair account with a delay to Exchange market data (odds and volumes). The restriction is in accordance with our Terms and Conditions; in particular the intellectual property clauses with reference to Betfair data. For further information, view our T&C’s at http://forum.betfair.com/aboutUs/Terms. ... -betting-1. The relevant terms are highlighted below.

Your data usage profile represents that of a commercial user. Note that usage of Betfair Exchange market data by any user in a commercial context requires a data licence. Betfair offers a commercial data licensing scheme, details of which can be found at https://developer.betfair.com/get-started/.

Should you wish to consume data for testing and or analysis, please use delayed data as applied to your account or the historical data services - https://apps.betfair.com/data/.

‘6. Cancellation, Termination, Suspension and Breach

We may restrict your access to Betfair, suspend or terminate your account, withdraw your offers for bets, void any bets outstanding to your account, cancel any unmatched bets or cancel and void any outstanding or matched bets in our absolute discretion without cause at any time including if:

v: ... your account’s ‘public market data’ usage (‘public market data’ includes market prices, traded Volumes and market depth) could represent ‘business usage’ (‘business usage’ includes any use by a betting operator or any use by an individual or organisation supplying data or services to a betting operator)’

Kind Regards

Betfair Limited | Winslow Road | Hammersmith Embankment | London | W6 9HP.

I have been trying out bots and trading in practice mode for a while now, whilst also going live now and again (losing money!)
Has anyone else had this email/problem?
BetScalper

keldix wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 pm
Hello,
I received an email from Betfair today saying......

With regret, we have restricted your Betfair account with a delay to Exchange market data (odds and volumes). The restriction is in accordance with our Terms and Conditions; in particular the intellectual property clauses with reference to Betfair data. For further information, view our T&C’s at http://forum.betfair.com/aboutUs/Terms. ... -betting-1. The relevant terms are highlighted below.

Your data usage profile represents that of a commercial user. Note that usage of Betfair Exchange market data by any user in a commercial context requires a data licence. Betfair offers a commercial data licensing scheme, details of which can be found at https://developer.betfair.com/get-started/.

Should you wish to consume data for testing and or analysis, please use delayed data as applied to your account or the historical data services - https://apps.betfair.com/data/.

‘6. Cancellation, Termination, Suspension and Breach

We may restrict your access to Betfair, suspend or terminate your account, withdraw your offers for bets, void any bets outstanding to your account, cancel any unmatched bets or cancel and void any outstanding or matched bets in our absolute discretion without cause at any time including if:

v: ... your account’s ‘public market data’ usage (‘public market data’ includes market prices, traded Volumes and market depth) could represent ‘business usage’ (‘business usage’ includes any use by a betting operator or any use by an individual or organisation supplying data or services to a betting operator)’

Kind Regards

Betfair Limited | Winslow Road | Hammersmith Embankment | London | W6 9HP.

I have been trying out bots and trading in practice mode for a while now, whilst also going live now and again (losing money!)
Has anyone else had this email/problem?
It's happening rather allot lately. They seem to be cracking down on people/bots using practice mode more than they do live mode etc.
Euler

This has been going on for as long as I can remember. Trading with minimum stakes will get you important data and cost you very little and Betfair won't restrict your account.
keldix

Thanks for reply. So if I start betting with real money again, will they lift my restriction?
Regards
spreadbetting

I always thought Betfair issued a warning before restricting accounts but it's been known about for ages they've been clamping down on the freeloaders who rarely bet but use lots of resources.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the situation now they've implemented streaming as all data is pushed to the punter rather than requested. I guess we could see a lot more restrictions if they take a hard line on the non-bettors.

On a separate point does the practice mode use the live api keys or delayed ones or do you even get a choice with the commercial api?
Euler

keldix wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 pm
Thanks for reply. So if I start betting with real money again, will they lift my restriction?
Regards
You should appeal to [email protected]
Euler

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:47 pm
I always thought Betfair issued a warning before restricting accounts but it's been known about for ages they've been clamping down on the freeloaders who rarely bet but use lots of resources.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the situation now they've implemented streaming as all data is pushed to the punter rather than requested. I guess we could see a lot more restrictions if they take a hard line on the non-bettors.

On a separate point does the practice mode use the live api keys or delayed ones or do you even get a choice with the commercial api?
We use live keys as when we tried with delayed it was a mess.
jimibt

i've had my account restricted twice and have managed to appeal and get the restriction lifted on both occassions.

in my case it literally was due to using my api key to scan all markets all day long whilst not placing too many bets against the account in question. I eventually managed to get BDP chief, Neil Thomas, to understand my perspective and after an extensive show and tell was able to get my account back again. i think it was spreadbetting that mentioned streaming, rather than polling as a less intrusive approach to practice mode and i'd totally agree with this if you are still using practice mode. I'd also suggest playing fair and ensuring that you strike a balance by placing a smattering of bets per day (football, pre-race, all are simple to trade on for minimal loss), just to keep your profile above water.

In short, it's no fun having your account in limbo for the sake of a few failed test rules.
BetScalper

I been trying something new using £2 stakes (Trading) in live mode. That way I get a better feel for whats happening in the market because my money, however small, is actually in the market place. Would probably give totally different results in practice mode and may lead me into thinking I have a good system when in fact its poo etc.

So far I been losing on average 17p per horse race. Which is not great but then again its early days and i can afford to lose that every race for the next 5 years and not really have to worry about it. Obviously I am not planning on losing that many.

In comparison I have blown £3470 on the lottery since January and never won a sausage.
ShaunWhite

BetScalper wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 pm
In comparison I have blown £3470 on the lottery since January and never won a sausage.
They should offer 50p 'Jackpot only' tickets as well as the normal ones. I can't see the point of trying to win anything less given the terrible value they offer. I'd still only get my 3 tickets a week though.

You think your record is bad... I got my first £5's worth of Premium Bonds in 1967 and those ones have never won a penny :D

If you max them out you've got a 1 in half a billion chance of winning nothing! :) even though average returns have recently gone down from 1.25% to 1.15%. At least you get all your stake money back when you need it. 1 in 57,000 looks a lot better than lottery odds if you don't mind 'only' winning a million.

Annual Winnings, Probability
£0 - 1 in 485,326,635
At least £25 Virtual certainty
At least £50 Virtual certainty
At least £75 Virtual certainty
At least £100 Virtual certainty
At least £150 Virtual certainty
At least £175 Virtual certainty
At least £200 Virtual certainty
At least £250 99.6%
At least £350 94.4%
At least £400 86.9%
At least £450 75%
At least £500 60%
At least £750 8.54%
At least £1,000 3.23%
At least £1,500 1 in 125
At least £2,500 1 in 1,097
At least £5,000 1 in 1,151
At least £10,000 1 in 2,448
At least £25,000 1 in 5,750
At least £50,000 1 in 12,760
At least £100,000 1 in 22,922
At least £1,000,000 1 in 56,924
BetScalper

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:13 am
BetScalper wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 pm
They should offer 50p 'Jackpot only' tickets as well as the normal ones. I can't see the point of trying to win anything less given the terrible value they offer. I'd still only get my 3 tickets a week though.

You think your record is bad... I got my first £5's worth of Premium Bonds in 1967 and those ones have never won a penny :D

If you max them out you've got a 1 in half a billion chance of winning nothing! :) even though average returns have recently gone down from 1.25% to 1.15%. At least you get all your stake money back when you need it. 1 in 57,000 looks a lot better than lottery odds if you don't mind 'only' winning a million.

Annual Winnings, Probability
£0 - 1 in 485,326,635
At least £25 Virtual certainty
At least £50 Virtual certainty
At least £75 Virtual certainty
At least £100 Virtual certainty
At least £150 Virtual certainty
At least £175 Virtual certainty
At least £200 Virtual certainty
At least £250 99.6%
At least £350 94.4%
At least £400 86.9%
At least £450 75%
At least £500 60%
At least £750 8.54%
At least £1,000 3.23%
At least £1,500 1 in 125
At least £2,500 1 in 1,097
At least £5,000 1 in 1,151
At least £10,000 1 in 2,448
At least £25,000 1 in 5,750
At least £50,000 1 in 12,760
At least £100,000 1 in 22,922
At least £1,000,000 1 in 56,924
Shaun - Something not right there. You not won since 1967 ???? Everyone in my family has held Premium Bond tickets since 1990 and each of us as won at least twice, my sister, gold digger, winning 5 times. Although small amounts. Too not win anything for 50 years is, well, rather dodgy to say the least!!!!!!!

You should cash them in and ask a bookies what odds they give you on your favourite team winning something in the next 50 years. You may get a better return. :)

Return to “Betfair exchange”