Trading is about to Change

A place to discuss anything.
boardrep

+1

the market can become rather sticky at key moments
dw2work

a game changer for me would be signal when to trade on the ladder as i find it quite hard
gutuami

Korattt wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 am
LeTiss wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am

That would be a game changer, if BA could accurately determine where we are in the queue (of course it's impossible, as BF would never give that information)
I questioned Euler with this very recently, it’s impossible to work out where you are in the queue because of cross matching.
I think that xmatching is hovering a lot of value from the markets as it has a priority over other bets. Sometimes you cancel a bet only to see that it has been matched. Or you want to catch a good offer only to see that it has been canceled. But the market being the market creates opportunities anyway. We are competing against bf too now. xmatching is a form of 'high frequency trading' done by betfair. It somehow improves liquidity but at the same time distort the market and I think it is not a zero-sum game for them.
ShaunWhite

dw2work wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:20 pm
a game changer for me would be signal when to trade on the ladder as i find it quite hard
I'd like a button that makes trading "quite hard".
Euler

gutuami wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 pm
I think that xmatching is hovering a lot of value from the markets as it has a priority over other bets. Sometimes you cancel a bet only to see that it has been matched. Or you want to catch a good offer only to see that it has been canceled. But the market being the market creates opportunities anyway. We are competing against bf too now. xmatching is a form of 'high frequency trading' done by betfair. It somehow improves liquidity but at the same time distort the market and I think it is not a zero-sum game for them.
A lot of people feel the same about XM
xtrader16

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am
To be honest mcgoo, I don't trust the integrity of BF!

Admittedly, the much maligned Cross Matching doesn't help, but there have been times when I know I should be getting matched, but am not.

I'm absolutely convinced there's queue jumping going on - either individuals or companies who are paying a premium for the service, or it's BF themselves, who think they can do whatever they like, considering we are all playing with their ball

That would be a game changer, if BA could accurately determine where we are in the queue (of course it's impossible, as BF would never give that information)
If you used other software Trader you can see your position/money in the Queue and watch the volume increase as it is matched and the market move towards your position so, there is evidence that queue jumping is NOT going on.
Dallas

xtrader16 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 am

If you used other software Trader you can see you position in the Queue and watch the volume increase as it is matched and the market move towards your position so. There is evidence that queue jumping is NOT going on.
They might offer the feature as a sales gimmick but in reality XM'ing renders it unreliable so often ends up just adding further confusion
Euler

You now also have XMXM so it's completely impossible to work out your actual queue position, totally impossible. You can't really tell anything from any software that offers queue position, it's totally unreliable.
Kafkaesque

gutuami wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 pm
Just to be clear (before a potential follow-up question), when you say "xmatching", are you talking about cross-matching or something other than that?
welshboy06

Yes cross-matching is referred to as xmatching
Kafkaesque

In that cast, how is that "hovering up a lot value"? My understanding is that, what it does is, that if I put in an offer trying to lay at 2.00 on selection 1 in a market of two selections, it'll place it as both an offer to back at 2.00 on selection 1 and to lay at 2.00 on selection. And then obviously in more complicated ways with more selections and when it works across markets. But I fail to see when and how it hovers value. What am I missing here?
gutuami

these are the corresponding xmatching figures on a 2runners market: 1.71=2.41,1.72=2.39,1.73=2.37. Do you think bf will round up the odds in your favor? If you place a big bet your average odds would be less than normal. Now about hovering. When a big bet enter the market it creates a over broke book or so to say a free money situation. Who is gonna fill their boots first?. Most of the time you wouldn't even notice it. with xmatching book is always 'perfect'. bf is taking care of that.
spreadbetting

Has a release date even been set for this 'big change' yet? Or are the developers waiting for someone to suggest a decent idea for them to code in :)
Korattt

spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm
Has a release date even been set for this 'big change' yet? Or are the developers waiting for someone to suggest a decent idea for them to code in :)
would imagine it'll be released before the Matchbook Traders Conference this week, if not it would be a missed opportunity I would've thought
Kafkaesque

gutuami wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:12 pm
these are the corresponding xmatching figures on a 2runners market: 1.71=2.41,1.72=2.39,1.73=2.37. Do you think bf will round up the odds in your favor? If you place a big bet your average odds would be less than normal. Now about hovering. When a big bet enter the market it creates a over broke book or so to say a free money situation. Who is gonna fill their boots first?. Most of the time you wouldn't even notice it. with xmatching book is always 'perfect'. bf is taking care of that.
Okay, cheers for that. About what I expected.

On the first part, what you're saying is, what I'm suspecting in the following topic is correct. Yes?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15097

On the second, I get what you're saying, and I'll agree that it's skeechy morally - at best - if it's Betfair cleaning up that value. Morals aside that value was never going to fall in the laps of any old trader, though imho. If Betfair isn't doing it, it would just be an arms race to see who has best/fastest bot and/or internet connection, measured in microseconds, to hover that free money as fast as possible, I would think.

Return to “General discussion”