Computer spec

A place to discuss anything.
Iron

I find that my computer runs slowly and the fan gets really loud when I'm trading using streaming mode.

I've attached my computer specs.

Can anyone suggest a faster computer that costs under £200 second hand?

Thanks

Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobsom

Something similar to this: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0713SMTTD/ ... B071L61SYY

will be significantly faster than your Pentium 4 PC.

It's a refurb, but it has a warranty, and the spec should easily be good enough for BetAngel.

Hope that helps.
Euler

A decent graphics card will help with trading.
spreadbetting

I'm surprised you can do much using Win 7 with only 2gb of physical memory . Installing more memory should give you the biggest bang for your buck and should find some cheap on ebay.
Iron

Thanks guys

I'll try a memory card in the first instance.

I remember back in the days of yore memory cards were green rectangular things that you could only insert by opening the case of your computer.

I get the impression that these days you can just get a memory card USB adapter, and insert into it a memory card of the type you put into your mobile phone, and that's it.

Is that right?

Thanks

Jeff
Dallas

Not quiet Jeff your thinking of SD memory cards which are just storage devices,
when Spreadbetting said Memory he was referring to RAM (Random Access Memory) - which is still as you remember "green rectangular things that you could only insert by opening the case of your computer"
northbound

Why not keeping your computer and using a VPS instead?

I use a 6-year old Macbook Air together with the basic Bet Angel VPS (£24.99/month). The VPS is basically a remote computer on which you install Bet Angel and leave it running all day with streaming and Guardian.

This way the VPS does all the heavy lifting and my laptop’s fan never ever kicks in. Even better, when I’m away or sleeping, my laptop can be switched off and my automation keeps running.
Dublin_Flyer

More RAM was my first thought but had a google and you're already at max RAM for your system at 2GB

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq ... ies/specs/

A decent graphics card as Euler said is definitely worth a shot, you could go for a high end model if you wanted to carry it over to your next computer buy/build as the format and slot it goes into will be around for a long time and is a standard on nearly all computers. Prices go from about 25 quid to ridiculous quid!

Also if your system has a few years under its hood, the thermal paste between the processor and cooling fan may have dried out leading to less heat transfer and bad cooling, hence the fan working overtime and too noisy. Also the vanes/blades of the fan and the aluminium/copper plates for heat transfer are very prone to collecting dust/hair/smoke/anything light so that impairs the getting excess heat out. New thermal paste is only about a fiver but applying it is tricky if you don't know what you're doing, removing a cooling fan can be a nightmare so it's best left to a tech savvy family member or friend...or youtube it if you're feeling confident :)

Lastly and probably should have been firstly, try out some system cleaners that can help eliminate useless or empty files, fix registry entries, clean free space etc and give a bit of a performance boost. AVG PC Tuneup and Advanced Systemcare are 2 very good ones, both have free versions but come with a 7/14/30 day trial of the full version. Use the trial to do as much housecleaning as you can, then just use the free version, no reason to pay for the full version unless your pc is under a massive workload with different users doing different things.
Iron

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm going to try out ReadyBoost - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost - which enables you to use a USB stick to increase RAM (if I understand it correctly!).

If that doesn't work, it might be time to give myself an early Christmas present and invest in a new computer.

Cheers

Jeff
Dublin_Flyer

Best of luck with the upgrade Jeff, let us know how it goes for you :)
foxwood

Before shelling out just check the air flow is not being reduced with dust and gubbins on the vents - clean out all the dust and spiders inside the case as well !

I was running some heavy network video processing earlier this month and PC really struggled and fans going flat out - streaming would have a similar impact on loading your PC - processing all that data generates a lot of heat that is not good for the components.

Vent grilles were matted with dust and probably reduced air flow by 80% - 5 minute clean up inside and out with a hoover and running sweetly ever since.
Hobsom

I've built and installed PC's for over 30 years, so I definitely know what I'm on about. PM me if you've got any questions about the following.

You could spend a lot of time and a bit more cash to get a little bit more speed out of your old Pentium 4 PC, but it simply isn't worth it, especially if you've got a bit of money available for a decent spec PC that'll be able to run BetAngel + charts + excel + t'interweb.
If you're investing time and effort working on trading, then you should realistically get a decent tool for the job.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-4 ... e-i5-3570K

The above link shows the speed difference between what you've got and what around £200 can get you. About 8 to 10 times faster.

As BetAngel isn't massively graphics intensive, although it looks gorgeous obvs :-), it's basically the cpu speed and number of cpu cores that makes a difference to all the maths that the system has to crunch. If you're running multiple screens and shed loads of complex charts then a decent graphics card would definitely be useful, but the cpu has to do the maths first. You wouldn't put a supercharger or turbo kit in a Reliant Robin. So, by the same logic, you wouldn't put a GPU in a Pentium 4 PC.

4Gb of RAM is essential. 8Gb is more than enough. PC's don't use much more unless they're running lots of memory hungry programs simultaneously. Hard drive size isn't a big factor really, but 250Gb to 500Gb should be ample, and you can always add another later if needed, and they're cheap enough.

The PC in the link I originally posted can run more than one monitor, if needed, and has the power to run BetAngel with ease, even multiple versions at the same time, and run all the other software you'll be dabbling with on your trading journey.
convoysur-2

im gona upgrade myself ,just not sure on the monitor set up i want,quad or 2-3 curved monitors ,trouble is i live so far out in the sticks that i cant find a store within 4 hours drive that has curved onitors on desplay,so i cant actually sit infront of a curved monitor and get a feel for it.any one has curved monitors please let me know your thoughts,
on the pc,im not an expert and could probably save a couple of hundred if i shoped around,but im no expert ,so i think ill just buy this bloody thing,its expensive ,But once i but it i should be done with upgrades for 2 years at least.
http://www.multiplemonitors.co.uk/products/trader-pc/
Iron

Hobsom wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:14 pm
Something similar to this: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0713SMTTD/ ... B071L61SYY
You've sold it to me. :)

Thanks

Jeff

Return to “General discussion”