Strategy Development: Modelling

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:14 pm
More precisely, what happened in October 2015 ?

That seems to be the point where the graph reverses, and it's only going one way.
That bit is only as bad as the end of '14, and end of 13 to some extent. It's a seasonal strategy, with flaws.
LinusP

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm
This thread seemed an appropriate place to post this.

I was backtesting something on the 2013-2016 data and ended up with the results below.

You can see from that graph why I was questioning the 2016 data on the other thread now !! :evil: WTF happened in '16 to wreck 3 solid years? (mostly a rhetorical question).

You'd think that if something was performing for 37,000 races you'd cracked it. It always makes me smile when I hear new guys taking about running automation 'all day' and then bursting into tears or getting the exotic holiday brouchures out. The should look at the duration of some of the dips in the graph below even when it was performing well.

Really hope we find the '17 data appearing somewhere soon, anyone seen it? 2018 data would be even better ;)
Interesting, what does 2017 look like?

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13157&p=141407#p141407

When I see this when backtesting it is normally due to a hidden lookahead bias that creeps in and is slowly removed when time gets closer to real time.

Edit:

Relavent article just posted by Buchdahl:

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-art ... 3vjy59y4q3
Last edited by LinusP on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
It's a brilliant post & highlights a couple of really interesting points.

Has the edge actually become an anti-edge? My initial thoughts when seeing the graph was that if the edge had failed, performance should pretty much flatline(ish). Imagine a new trader begins trading in 2016 with your exact idea - but reversed entry signals - he's killing it in 2016! Now here comes the flaws of good psychology, a trader following the edge perfectly would do his arse indefinitely through the 2016 period - after all, he has 3 solid years of good data to fall back on. But I'd say it would be reckless to follow the plan having drawdown by such a distance imo. Therefore, the real edge is knowing when to jump ship; abandon the plan & move onto new ideas. That is something incredibly difficult to master.
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:25 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
That is something incredibly difficult to master.
Yep, que será, será. (little nod there to a tune from 1956 for Memphis)

I'm starting to wonder if finally getting my data together is a good thing or not.

You sure can make some pretty looking graphs, but the question will always be how far dare you let it run against you. There's also the case of resourse management, often the bots aren't mutually compatible or won't sit comfortably alongside manual trading and, even though I'm lucky enough to have 2 accounts, one of them might have to run for months before it's true colours are shown.

I'd be interested to hear any views on how to measure if a strategy is worth pursuing. It's clearly not just a matter of an upward trend, it has to be judged by the amplitude and frequency of the variation (noise). I'm not a stato as I've said before so forgive any clumsy terminology.

Is there a technical term or function for the maximum interval between new highs? That sounds like a reasonable staring point, then use the frequency of races that fit your criteria to work out what this is in elapsed time. Personally I think I'd want to be hitting a new high at least once every couple of weeks with a worst case downside in that period that wouldn't wipe out perhaps the last 4. I'm just making a bit of a finger in the air guess there.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:14 pm
Interesting, what does 2017 look like? viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13157&p=141407#p141407

Relavent article just posted by Buchdahl: https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-art ... 3vjy59y4q3
Are you trying to kill me? I'd planned an early night and you send me a link to data and something to read. Thanks a lot. :roll:

Edit....I've got a feeling that this subject might start to head in this direction ...

If we set about devising a betting system via data dredging until we find criteria that are profitable, we risk failing to establish causal explanations for what we find (Buchdahl)
LinusP

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:17 am
LinusP wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:14 pm
Interesting, what does 2017 look like? viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13157&p=141407#p141407

Relavent article just posted by Buchdahl: https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-art ... 3vjy59y4q3
Are you trying to kill me? I'd planned an early night and you send me a link to data and something to read. Thanks a lot. :roll:

Edit....I've got a feeling that this subject might start to head in this direction ...

If we set about devising a betting system via data dredging until we find criteria that are profitable, we risk failing to establish causal explanations for what we find (Buchdahl)
You can sleep when you have your if statements making you money 8-)

A lot of long time members (including Mr Webb) talk about using data to confirm an idea rather than looking for patterns, if you look hard enough you will find one. Fooled by randomness is a great book on this topic, I got a copy for £2 off amazon.
Euler

Data mining can be statistical deja vu.

When I come up with an idea I will often get somebody else to look at the data and not tell them what they are looking for. That way I can arrive at the same solution by two methods.

But that is only the first step as I then need to describe what is happening and why. Only then can I really start really trying to go for it in terms of a progressive staking plan on the strategy.
ruthlessimon

See that's a really interesting insight, why aren't there dedicated videos on BA for this type of stuff? :)
ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:14 am
There's also the case of resourse management, often the bots aren't mutually compatible or won't sit comfortably alongside manual trading
This is another great topic I'd love to see discussed more :)

Forbes had a great article about this which I'll try & find; but the general premise for ranking strategies was as follows. There are "3 trading pillars" that need to be accommodated:

1. Edge
2. Frequency
3. Scale

It's a perverse problem. Improving edge, will lead to a lower frequency (HFTs visa versa). Jacking up the scale, damages frequency as well as edge. Also, a deficiency in any pillar will lead to psychological issues.

This is why I get frustrated when "psychology" is blamed. It's getting blamed because there's a lacking in 1 of those 3 pillars. Reading Trading in the Zone for a 4th time isn't going to help! Finding a mentor to discuss those 3 pillars will. It's psychotic behaviour to just accept poor trading. Learning to trade, is learning how to balance those 3 pillars - & the psychology will fall naturally into place. Opps bit of a tangent! :D
rinconpaul

I've wrestled with this "must be logical" to work idea for years. However the very nature of the business model we're in, is that it's self perpetuating because it's "Not Logical". if racing/sports outcomes were logical, the industry would be shut down in an instant!

Take this recent post: viewtopic.php?p=141355#p141355

A horse called Black Mosheen started as favourite and ended up 6th rank in the betting. Logically it'd have no chance of a win, but guess what it did win! That's not logical! But it happens every second of the day somewhere in the world.

I say forget logical, but thoroughly test the method you reckon is profitable a number of ways:
1/ Volume. Is the volume of the trades/bets many times more than the cycle of probability? i.e. My example is a price range averaging $2.50. Every 2.5 bets it should show a win and a loss. My data sample averages nearly 40 samples, 16x the cycle.
2/Now this is where logic comes into play. Plot the profit/loss over the test period on a day of week basis. In my example Mondays broke even. Saturdays made the most profit, closely followed by Wednesdays and Sundays. That's logical as that's the order of frequency (more races on a Sat, least on a Mon).
3/Now plot implied probability vs actual probabilty and a trendline. Is the actual probability well below implied (for lay betting)?
4/Lastly, and this is the gotcha! Put your results through a montecarlo simulation of a 1000 replays of the series. See my post: viewtopic.php?p=140752#p140752

What you see as a winner, might not appear as one after this final test?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

I've just caught up with this thread and I must say I'm really liking the quality and depth of the discussion. LinusP,Euler,Ruthless & rinconpaul, all thought provoking stuff.

I'm just going to refer back to my posting showing the graph, and add some info. I'll share it with you for 2 reasons.

1. I can because I'm certain it's not profitable (gee thanks) the output is for 0% commission. I'm confident it's not even on the way to being profitable. It's also extremely basic, so much so I'm almost suprised nobody regognised it. Plus 2017 data is inconclusive to say the least! So help yourself, I'm not pursuing it. If I turn out to have shot myself in the foot with both barrels, so be it.

2. I hope it's a good example of how being irrational leads to being illogical and ultimately nowhere. Specualtion about what I'm seeing would be interesting too whether or not you have a database you can explore. With any luck you'll say you can't reproduce it, then I can accept my data is screwed and I can stop trying to explain it.

I'll try and be brief, not my speciality.

I got the SP 2013-16 data. 2017 was available soon and 5 years seemed enough.
I did some tidying, mins, maxes, blanks etc. Then a basic sanity check by backing every favourite to get this.
Untitled3.png
(Is this what other people see for their 13-16 SP data?, if not then I've wasted several hours!)
I was slightly suprised by the size of the deviations, but with the odd run of wins or loses it wasn't far from what seemed reasonable. What did stand out though was that it appeared to be quite rhythmic, maybe because I used to do quite a bit of music on the pc and you eventually learn to hear(ish) what you're looking at. 200ms of vocal looks different to 200ms of strings.. I digress.

To check the data further I thought I'd count the races per year and did so by putting some year markers on the chart.
Untitled4.png
Now that is suprising, not just a regular rhythm but also a symmetry within each 'bar'. A bit like noise cancelling, but backwards, odd. So lets flip the second half of each loop by laying from july to december instead.

And here we are, where I started.
Untitled5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShaunWhite

I can now add in 2017
Untitled6.png
You can now see why I'm less keen on putting my shirt on this. It's running out of steam in 2017 and in 2018, who knows. And upturn on a totally irrational, illogical 2.5yrs cycle or continuing a downward trajectory. It's in the tea leaves.

I've obviously tried reversing the strategy from 2016 onwards and fyi if you're on anything bigger than 2% commission then forget it. If you're on 2% then you can do your own homework :) but I don't think you'll be impressed with 2017.

So, that's the story of a worthless strategy...BUT regardless of it being a winner, something clearly happened at the end of 2015, what happened?

I've got theories. (Conspiracy theorists here's your chance, and for the gurus, you must have seen this, what happened?)

1. A bot emerged at the end of 15, and in 2017 something else has emerged and it's been nulified. Probably not.

2. Something changed in the BHA rules and it affected 'something' (BHA online changes list only go back a year so can't even begin to check). Probably not.

As I write this I've thought of another to check....

yep 3. Number 3 ...You'll like this one, not a lot, but you'll like it. I hope this might even cause a little ripple (verbal rather than of applause). Drum roll....

Wikipedia : Betfair.... was listed on the London Stock Exchange as Betfair Group plc, until it merged with Paddy Power to form Paddy Power Betfair on 2 February 2016.

and no doubt with some influence before 2 Feb 2016?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I rest my case.
But can someone please explain what's actually happening, I don't understand it enough. Is this all known and I've only just caught up with the plot and it's old news? And lets not forget this is a ridiculous illogical strategy back jan-jun, lay july-dec. How is that a window into anything going on at Betfair!
ShaunWhite

Linus,
I looked at the above and considered the number of monkeys. There are legions of monkeys which makes this pattern highly probably, but as it was the first monkey that did it, and that seems highly improbable too.
LinusP

From what I can see it looks as though you are seeing mean reversion but by chance it happened to match the timeframe of a year for a few years. This is something that can be taken advantage of most of the time but I am not sure in this example.
rinconpaul

If we're talking modelling here, I'll say this,"Never base a strategy or backtest on any freely available published data source!" E.g. Betfair SP files. I wasted years doing it. They're full of errors and of no real use live, as you can't ever predict SP. You can react to it if you want to go in play, that's all.

Harvest your own live data and build a database to model. I harvest the last "?" Minutes betting at "?" Second frequency (Back, Lay, LTP & Vol). When you get 6 months worth, you'll see a whole lot of mysterious things? Illogical things! You need to be an illogical thing purveyor and prey on punter/trader errors. Forget old school wisdoms and be contrarian. Be prepared to Dutch and bookmake multi runners in the same race. :?:

Return to “General discussion”