Earworm - Advice sought :)

A place to discuss anything.
jimibt

WARNING - do not read if you have an addictive personality type or are likely to experiment to see if you are not earworm susceptible!!

ok, always one to slightly exaggerate, i've had an earworm running thro my head for the past two weeks and it's becoming a living hell. it all started soon after walter becker sadly passed away. i thought i'd review some fine old music from a bygone era and listened to the Aja album. having not really had too much exposure to Steely Dan, i thought i'd give the whole album a listen. what a pleasure it was, so much so that i listened to it a good few times over a few days. moving back into real life and on to other musical genres, i found that i kept having an earworm of one song in particular - Peg :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI7NDDQLvbo. not only does this fly in at random points during the day, it also (like an alternate reality) flys in on random points in the song.

so fellow obsesives, how do we rid ourselves of these (at first pleasing, then irritating) earworms....

BTW: i even thried the suggestions here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... worms.html

oh well, maybe it'll pass. let's just hope cliff richard remains with us forever :D
mjmorris335

Ah, Aja. One of my top 5 albums of all time. Every track a gem.

I've found that the only way to get rid of an earworm is to really drill down into the song (not the ear!).

Find out who wrote it, played on it, produced it, what instruments were used, etc. Sooner or later you'll be so sick of it, it'll disappear from the aural radar. Aversion therapy, basically.

With that in mind, start with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIBA6_0GQc

Good luck!

Mike
Euler

I read up on this once and the advice was similar. They said if you learn the lyrics in depth and can recite them then the earworm will vanish. They aligned it to the brain repeating it until learnt so you can shortcut it by learning it.
jimibt

mjmorris335 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:35 pm
Ah, Aja. One of my top 5 albums of all time. Every track a gem.

I've found that the only way to get rid of an earworm is to really drill down into the song (not the ear!).

Find out who wrote it, played on it, produced it, what instruments were used, etc. Sooner or later you'll be so sick of it, it'll disappear from the aural radar. Aversion therapy, basically.

With that in mind, start with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIBA6_0GQc

Good luck!

Mike
ah yes, already did all of that - alas just makes it worse, you then end up figuring what else rick merrota played on, what larry carlton is up to now etc) - lol.. ok, back to the barber shop vocal part in my head!!
mjmorris335

jimibt wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:53 pm

ok, back to the barber shop vocal part in my head!!
One voice, multi-tracked. Michael McDonald said that it's the hardest thing he's ever had to sing.

Mike
jimibt

mjmorris335 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:02 pm
jimibt wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:53 pm

ok, back to the barber shop vocal part in my head!!
One voice, multi-tracked. Michael McDonald said that it's the hardest thing he's ever had to sing.

Mike
breaking news... now onto Hey 19 (in the earworm catalogue). btw - i see there's tribute band called Nearly Dan. Apart from the vocal tone, they capture the nuances pretty well..
Niko

That has now got me singing my ear worm default song "All around my hat" :D
mjmorris335

Niko wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Oh, you BASTARD...

Mike
jimibt

mjmorris335 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:43 pm
Niko wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Oh, you BASTARD...

Mike
and somehow, that curiuosly connected me back to an earworm that i'd long forgotten - the acoustic guitar intro to 'chuck 'es in love' - grrr....
ShaunWhite

At least it was a decent earworm. I usually get stuck with the ones that are scientifically designed to get you like, a Katy Perry or a Taylor Swift.

I used to think that 3 listens did it to me but wierdly my brain got obsessed with 'My old mans a dustman' last week, go figure :x

It's odd how your subconscious brain gets so much joy from it (like an irritating child) but your conscious sensible brain hates it.
Kafkaesque

Not being a native English speaker, I initially thought this was some nasty medical condition :? Which begs the question, why in the world, I'd insist on opening the thread in the first case :roll:

As for the problem at hand. Go through a bottle of tequila while listening to something else. Guaranteed to remove any memory of the original earworm :lol:
ShaunWhite

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:07 pm
Go through a bottle of tequila while listening to something else. Guaranteed to remove any memory of the original earworm :lol:
So, original worm gone, but now you have the effects of the worm in the tequilla ? :shock:
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:02 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:07 pm
Go through a bottle of tequila while listening to something else. Guaranteed to remove any memory of the original earworm :lol:
So, original worm gone, but now you have the effects of the worm in the tequilla ? :shock:
FCKKKKKKKKKKK - now i have this going round my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDD21ZJF3mI
max_usted

jimibt wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:59 am
i thought i'd review some fine old music from a bygone era and listened to the Aja album. having not really had too much exposure to Steely Dan, i thought i'd give the whole album a listen... Peg :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI7NDDQLvbo.
Agree with Mike, this is a high quality earworm

Return to “General discussion”