Have people got a competitive edge?

A place to discuss anything.
mhorro

I have been trading for years and have noticed strange things this year when laying horses i.e. lay large fields at 3.0 etc or 4.0 and it is amazing how I mange to make 0 or a small loss. I have traded some large field +14 runners etc.

Are people trading from rooms with SIS feed etc and fast connections?

The Betfair markets look more efficient than ever!

It just seems very accurate with no flaws!

Thanks

Mark
northbound

mhorro wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:56 pm
I hear there are people trading in rooms located at racecourses, they get fast internet connection and access to the local video feed, which is probably faster than SIS, as it doesn’t have to travel to the SIS “server” to then get relayed to satellite and end users.
DRED1

I paid a long time ago for 4 sessions at a private venue with the fastest pictures you can get. The guys on my right and left lost a fortune in running, it was fun watching Mr Wong though he was ruthless.
DR
mhorro

Very interesting.

There is something I cannot put my finger on with the Betfair markets.

Something feels wrong in my opinion.

Maybe I have had too much wine at Xmas!!!!
mhorro

I tend to trade now using my own knowledge of horse racing and picking out a few races. I have my own databases of 15 years+ of every race run around the world which is constantly updated on a day by day basis. Sometimes I data mine on specific odds and the maths probabilities are nearly always right. There is a reason why a horse is 10/1 or 8/11 it is normally the top 3 in the betting forecast that win. I suppose you can call me a hybrid trader.
Euler

Personally speaking, I've spotted similar things in a variety of markets and I think it's XM. I've approached Betfair about it, but they claim nothing has changed but when XM is off the market feels completely different.
mhorro

Thanks. What is interesting trades do not get matched on high volume events inplay and we are not talking £500+ etc.

Which got me thinking are other people/traders/bookmakers viewing the Betfair market with better glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I am not on the inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mhorro

Without Predjudice.
=================

I was in the I.T. Industry for 20 years designing high transactional computer systems, obviously I cannot name the companies. Traders are relying on data feeds and making judgment on this. Data quality/speed/aggregated are important. I have not even delved into data loss. With most high transactional systems they will hit a traffic congestion problem this varies depending on how many tiers in their architecture i.e. database tier, application tier and front end tier. The example being a 3 tiered system. These system always flush out the weakest link I know because I have been there. These are based on my opinion and we all have right to this. System outages are too long, crashed system should fail over in minutes and bring the systems back on line.
I have designed these fault tolerance systems. Once again I am retired now and think shareholders of companies are dictating the pace and forcing software and hardware cutbacks and obviously human resources for profit. These are my opinions.
ShaunWhite

northbound wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:42 pm
mhorro wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:56 pm
located at racecourses, .... and access to the local video feed, which is probably faster than SIS
You need a pair of my "Betoculars" (pat pending).

Left button to lay the fav, right button to back it. Infrared so they're handy in the fog, live streaming and you could probably park up about 3 miles away too if "honest guv, they're just binoculars" doen't work with the stewards.

I'm looking for £50k for a 20% stake in the business. :) Peter Jones (or Webb) would be my ideal dragon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
northbound

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:16 am
You need a pair of my "Betoculars" (pat pending).

Left button to lay the fav, right button to back it.
I’d rather have a drone travelling above the horses. Much better camera angle!
Kafkaesque

I remember this story from years back and dug it out

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in ... s-betting/

Where there's serious money to be made, people will always look to get an edge - dodgy or otherwise. I do think the specific sports should look to keep it out as best they can, like tennis seemingly have done/does. Not for the sake of regular joe trader/better, but for their own good will. Whether it can be done is much more questionable.
cmuddle

What is XM ?

Euler wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm
Personally speaking, I've spotted similar things in a variety of markets and I think it's XM. I've approached Betfair about it, but they claim nothing has changed but when XM is off the market feels completely different.
Dallas

cmuddle wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:01 am
What is XM ?

Euler wrote:
Cross matching
RonObvious

Euler wrote:
Would it be advisable then to turn XM off when trading HOrse racing markets?

Return to “General discussion”