General discussion : My Journey, day by day

A place to discuss anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dallas
Posts: 9557
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:57 pm
Contact:

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Original-Soultrader wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm

This week this might not happen - I'm seriously considering NOT trading cheltenham and just observing. (it might be difficult lol)

I've been watching Peter's video's on the festival and I don't really understand how you can trade a market that doesn't move much. It seems you need to be trading a grand a time to make it worthwhile and I just don't want to do that at this point in my journey.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

With small stakes, Cheltenham will soon become very boring for you and you'll likely end up losing just through trying to force yourself into doing something.

If you are going to trade it I'd recommend using Betdaq (software is free) as you'll get matched a lot quicker.

Alternatively, you could just look at the support cards, there is usually still some good action on these with quite a few good opportunities, they tend to benefit from some overspill of festival money even with most of the big hitter focusing heavily on Cheltenham

Derek27
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi OS,

As it's the season of good will for racing fans, I just thought I'd apologise for having a bash at you a few days ago. If you do decide to trade Cheltenham it will take a lot of patience - the market does move, it just doesn't happen quickly.

Good luck,

Derek

Original-Soultrader
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 am

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Cheers Derek, appreciated.

Dalls, is the betdaq betangel a paid for add-on?

User avatar
Dallas
Posts: 9557
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:57 pm
Contact:

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Original-Soultrader wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:57 pm
Cheers Derek, appreciated.

Dalls, is the betdaq betangel a paid for add-on?
No its completely free separate piece of software, you just need to download and install
https://www.betangel.com/download/?prod ... ngelBetdaq

If you do give it a go make sure sign up for the Cheltenham promo
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15992

Original-Soultrader
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 am

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Tuesday then - lost 11 quid on the first at chelt - got in but couldnt get out so i let it go in play hoping the fav would drop a couple of ticks to break even - whatever! mistake.

rest of the day i just watched chelt and traded the other meetings until 4:20pm when the entire street had a 3 hour power cut. I do have a UPS but it only manages around 15 minutes on my pc.

so that was that.

think i'm gonna leave chelt to the big players and the punters and just trade the other events. at least i didn't log a losing day.

results logged below

Image

BrianS
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks for the post.
How do you set auto stake to counter tick size on higher odds?
As I am a beginner too and just trading favourites but want the tick size to match the odds and am using 10 quid for below 3.0
Thanks

User avatar
ShaunWhite
Posts: 3830
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 am

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Original-Soultrader wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 pm
Tuesday then - lost 11 quid on the first at chelt - got in but couldnt get out so i let it go in play
Couldn't get out? At Cheltenham? Maybe you just chose not to?

I agree with Derek, the markets move but maybe just not so fast or so far, but that reduced volatility means you can go bigger with the same risk you're used to. Swings and roundabouts.

User avatar
ShaunWhite
Posts: 3830
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 am

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:10 pm

BrianS wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm
Thanks for the post.
How do you set auto stake to counter tick size on higher odds?
As I am a beginner too and just trading favourites but want the tick size to match the odds and am using 10 quid for below 3.0
Thanks
The closest approximation would be using 'by liability' staking but be careful when short odds on.

Original-Soultrader
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 am

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Couldn't get out? At Cheltenham? Maybe you just chose not to?


Sorry Shaun. Change to "couldnt get out at a profit" :)

BrianS
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 pm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:10 pm
BrianS wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm
Thanks for the post.
How do you set auto stake to counter tick size on higher odds?
As I am a beginner too and just trading favourites but want the tick size to match the odds and am using 10 quid for below 3.0
Thanks
The closest approximation would be using 'by liability' staking but be careful when short odds on.
Thanks Shaun. Will try Practice mode for that

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests