My Journey, day by day

A place to discuss anything.
Original-Soultrader

Hi Derek, nice to meet you.

I can understand why it wouldn't help you - I guess you've been at this for some time so it may be pretty pointless for you.

For me, i'm a newbie - have done this very little but took the decision to wade in - so it's kinda from a starting point and charting me to the point where i either give it up or increase stakes to make it meaningful. from that point i'll probably close the diary and just go do it.

I'm guessing that the other diary posts were also from newbies.

Sorry if it offends you, but to be blunt, it's my thread and it does help me.
Derek27

Original-Soultrader wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:51 pm
Sorry if it offends you, but to be blunt, it's my thread and it does help me.
It doesn't offend me and you're quite welcome to post what you like - I was just making an observation.
Original-Soultrader

Saturday again then - i'm seeing a pattern here.

I just don't enjoy trading saturdays - i know that i should because of the increased liquidity, but i find it so much easier in the week and find that people's emotions in the markets are easier to read - possibly because i'm dealing mostly with traders rather than sat afternoon punters which really hold no logic to me.

plus Saturday is traditionally the 'saturday shop' - out for lunch, hairdresser visits the wife etc. so many distractions plus i'm always thinking that i should get my head down for a while before going out for a dance and a beer tonight. so i'm in and out of the office etc

So from here on in I think i'll restrict my trading to Mon - Fri. I'm sure some will see that as madness but right now i don't need the increased liquidity to get my pithy little trades in. That may change in time but for now i can do without it. Plus I think it gives your head time to rest after the week's activity.

results (for those interested and for my notes)
ShaunWhite

If the OP gets even a grain of benefit from posting then he should carry on. And for the record I didn't think he was being boastful, just establishing his credentials so that advice could be pitched appropriately.

If users were blackballed for postings that others didn't find useful the only thing there'd be on the forum is tumbleweed.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:47 pm
And for the record I didn't think he was being boastful, just establishing his credentials so that advice could be pitched appropriately.
Having a million is not a credential (he didn't say how he got it) and isn't information needed to give advice!
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
And for the record I didn't think he was being boastful, just establishing his credentials so that advice could be pitched appropriately.
Having a million is not a credential (he didn't say how he got it) and isn't information needed to give advice!
sook - ooo, nippy sweeties... lol, this is a great thread, will definitely monitor ;)
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
He did say how he'd made it actually and it tells me he's no muppet. I'd pitch my answers differently for a mature intelligent successful man than a kid without a penny or a clue, so personally I like to know who I'm talking to even if you don't especially care.
Halliday

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:20 pm
But they are beneficial... to me.

To look back on my thought processes at the time and end of the day. Thats the whole point of the thread.

And how do you know they arent beneficial to anyone else? Are you everyone elses spokesperson?

Im not being defensive, just stating why im doing them. Clearly they are no use to you so just dont look. Why do you feel the need to chime in?

Again you say it's "my thread " but if you choose to post on a message board you can't just expect replies which agree with your point of view. So it's rather odd for you to say " why do you feel the need to chime in " unfortunately you can't censor others opinions on a message board

Clearly your a complex character ( as most who decide to do a trading diary appear to be ), and certainly your tone has changed since your opening posts.

And I'm sure you could look back on your thought process without posting your p/l.. couldn't you ?

Don't be such a sensitive soul and try and enjoy what your doing, as it's beginning to look as though your not.

Stay smiley and enjoy your trading and life !!
trader44

i find this thread interesting and if it helps you keep posting .i am sure you will get mixed reviews but you get that in all walks of life anyway.
as for this comment you made

" I just don't enjoy trading saturdays - i know that i should because of the increased liquidity,"
there are no rules to liking or disliking saturdays i know a few people who dont trade saturdays and some who do and i think its down to the individual.
good luck with your trading journey :D
Original-Soultrader

Not such a good day today.

I did consider not trading at all today because of the looming markets at chelt tomorrow, however I did.

First thing is it's monday so it's increase stake day - only a fiver a click extra - i'm doing £20 a click now.

I do stage my increases pretty small so my head can get used to them as time goes on. Initially what happens is I actually tend to place less money in the market. for example when trading at £15 i would generally be 3 clicks into a trade (so £45) but when i increase i'm always a little more cautious. what this means is that when i win I dont really make much more money but i still allow the 'wiggle room' just the same so my losses are a bit bigger.

Normally at day 2 of the new stakes i'm back to normal and getting used to them.

This week this might not happen - I'm seriously considering NOT trading cheltenham and just observing. (it might be difficult lol)

I've been watching Peter's video's on the festival and I don't really understand how you can trade a market that doesn't move much. It seems you need to be trading a grand a time to make it worthwhile and I just don't want to do that at this point in my journey.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

So anyway, by the last race today I had finally began putting in the 3 orders that is my usual so £60 and it bit me. Not too worried about it because the wins will be bigger too once i get a run.

so, especially for me to look back on, here's the p&l

Dallas

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm

This week this might not happen - I'm seriously considering NOT trading cheltenham and just observing. (it might be difficult lol)

I've been watching Peter's video's on the festival and I don't really understand how you can trade a market that doesn't move much. It seems you need to be trading a grand a time to make it worthwhile and I just don't want to do that at this point in my journey.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

With small stakes, Cheltenham will soon become very boring for you and you'll likely end up losing just through trying to force yourself into doing something.

If you are going to trade it I'd recommend using Betdaq (software is free) as you'll get matched a lot quicker.

Alternatively, you could just look at the support cards, there is usually still some good action on these with quite a few good opportunities, they tend to benefit from some overspill of festival money even with most of the big hitter focusing heavily on Cheltenham
Derek27

Hi OS,

As it's the season of good will for racing fans, I just thought I'd apologise for having a bash at you a few days ago. If you do decide to trade Cheltenham it will take a lot of patience - the market does move, it just doesn't happen quickly.

Good luck,

Derek
Original-Soultrader

Cheers Derek, appreciated.

Dalls, is the betdaq betangel a paid for add-on?
Dallas

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:57 pm
Cheers Derek, appreciated.

Dalls, is the betdaq betangel a paid for add-on?
No its completely free separate piece of software, you just need to download and install
https://www.betangel.com/download/?prod ... ngelBetdaq

If you do give it a go make sure sign up for the Cheltenham promo
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15992
Original-Soultrader

Tuesday then - lost 11 quid on the first at chelt - got in but couldnt get out so i let it go in play hoping the fav would drop a couple of ticks to break even - whatever! mistake.

rest of the day i just watched chelt and traded the other meetings until 4:20pm when the entire street had a 3 hour power cut. I do have a UPS but it only manages around 15 minutes on my pc.

so that was that.

think i'm gonna leave chelt to the big players and the punters and just trade the other events. at least i didn't log a losing day.

results logged below

Return to “General discussion”