Completely daft messages on social media

A place to discuss anything.
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:34 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:56 pm
It's OK dismissing him, but if just 1 person believes him, then he is damaging Peter's image isn't he?
It's that pesky freedom of speech init. Unfortunately(?) we don't have a ministry of truth to fact check everything before it's been said and the damge is done to those who are weak minded enough to beleive it.
'beleive?' I before E, don't you know! LOL
:D
gutuami

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 am
gutuami wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:53 pm
any wonderful video on youtube sooner or later gets some dislikes. which is normal. not getting them would be unbelievable. the easiest thing to do is to criticize.
I heard a chef say on a very good youtube channel that I use, every single recipe he put up has at least one thumbs down, many have just one. But one day when he published a 12 minute video, he noticed the thumbs down appeared within 3 minutes, before the idiot could even watch it never mind try the recipe. :lol:
a bit of topic now, but I thought this would be interesting. it's about likes and dislikes on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzRGBAUz5mA

it would be fair from youtube to allow placing a like or dislike only after you watched at least 50% of the video
Euler

eightbo - Thanks for posting that. Sort of summarises things nicely. I guess I've just got bored of it from a response perspective. You confront somebody that has lied or spread a mistruth and even if you have enough evidence they just move target a little. Slinging mud still it sticks.

I've often considered throwing the book at somebody just so it shows just how wilding different reality is from what people try to paint, either about themselves or me. But ultimately it seems, most, people get it. But that doesn't excuse people misrepresenting others.

I've always lived by the mantra of what would happen if somebody did an expose on you in the press tomorrow morning? So I've always underplayed my hand on purpose on that basis.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:04 pm
I've always lived by the mantra of what would happen if somebody did an expose on you in the press tomorrow morning?
Just the thought of that gives me even more grey hairs. I always make sure the no publicity box is always checked. Nothing would spoil that lotto win more than all the ghosts emerging. :?
SeaHorseRacing

This is one of the main reasons I don’t do social media...

No Facebook, no Instagram, no linked in.

I have anonymous twitter where i follow Peter and trainers etc... but it’s just for information purposes only.

For me I see no need in social media as generally just does more bad than good
Euler

I use my personal Facebook account now mainly as a satirical outlet.
Trader Pat

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:41 pm
I have anonymous twitter where i follow Peter and trainers etc... but it’s just for information purposes only.
I really like this idea, Twitter by pseudonym.

I'm finding Twitter to be hard work lately, people tend to be sheep and others take advice as a criticism. I'm too sensitive to be misunderstood! :D
Euler

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:54 pm
I'm finding Twitter to be hard work lately, people tend to be sheep and others take advice as a criticism. I'm too sensitive to be misunderstood! :D
I saw that guy blocked you the other day for giving what was perfectly good advice.
Trader Pat

eightbo wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:05 am
Personally, I like to address and 1-up the hater. I find genuine joy in picturing the hater reading the response and getting all worked up :twisted:.
You've essentially dealt with the issue by doing so, and how you structure your response can help aid those neutrals reach a conclusion as to whether or not to believe the comment. If they were to reply further, you can just ignore them (continued low-effort).
My only worry with this would be a never ending back and forth but if you can have the discipline to ignore them after the first comment its probably the best way.
Trader Pat

Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:58 pm
I saw that guy blocked you the other day for giving what was perfectly good advice.
I thought so too, it was genuinely heartfelt. He obviously didnt want to hear it though or maybe it came across as a bit condescending which i didn't mean it to.
Euler

I didn't read it that way
eightbo

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:15 pm
eightbo wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:05 am
Personally, I like to address and 1-up the hater. I find genuine joy in picturing the hater reading the response and getting all worked up :twisted:.
You've essentially dealt with the issue by doing so, and how you structure your response can help aid those neutrals reach a conclusion as to whether or not to believe the comment. If they were to reply further, you can just ignore them (continued low-effort).
My only worry with this would be a never ending back and forth but if you can have the discipline to ignore them after the first comment its probably the best way.
Yeah, I mean you should view it as a game, one you need to apply strategy to. I suspect you could learn that discipline if you cared enough.

I've got a bit of a following from a video game I play and am no stranger to haters.

The recipe for a hater seems to be:
The person can't do what you do (jealousy / disbelief / spite / etc.)
+
The person has certain personality traits (short-tempered / reach conclusions easily / happy to believe things which aren't proven / etc.)

I think there's two main categories of hater:
- the bored hater / troll (not very invested)
- the invested hater (you've upset them in some way and they're seeking vengeance)

The former will quickly give up if you don't give them attention, their comments are probably pretty basic and neutrals will be familiar with this kind of comment so will probably dismiss it easily.

But the invested hater should be dealt with, as their stories are probably more advanced, they may well return scale up the frequency / severity of their posts if it appears can get away with it (think Stanford Prison Experiment).

Addressing then ignoring saves face and provides some necessary resistance to mitigate that scaling up where possible.

Hater's are people too, and won't like being made fun of, so that approach can dissuade them from 'scaling up'.
There must be other ways to reach the same end, though.
ShaunWhite

From the Psychology of Money posting ..

The paradox of wealth is that people tend to want it to signal to others that they should be liked and admired. But in reality those other people bypass admiring you, not because they don’t think wealth is admirable, but because they use your wealth solely as a benchmark for their own desire to be liked and admired.

You can't change (their) human nature.

As Sun Tzu says, "You can ensure the safety of your defense if you only hold positions that cannot be attacked."
JTEDL

time for a bump - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbWSgwTcHVs

2nd comment made from a certain person:

'it's all a show.. Pete is a hustler. Notice the screens. looks at the graph and table screens. Ask yourself, why have those screens on? What is he trying to convey? Than look at his first screen? Make the connection. Pete is smart, but I know a hustler when I hear one.'

nice vid BTW very true, (absolute god = psychoff ;) )
Euler

Message received in support this morning. I just had to share it.
It's a scam run by Betfair.....,..mathematically impossible to profit long term from this nonsense..........thank god I stuck to training mode........... should be forced to say on the software "if you do this long term you will lose money"...........no such thing as a successful Betfair trader......modern urban myth😂😂😂

Return to “General discussion”